Macbook not charging - "barely flashing green" charge indicator from 2 different chargers

britechguy

Reaction score
This just in from a potential customer (that I am almost certain I will not be taking on):
----
I'm actually calling because my MacBook quit taking a charger it I've got two different charges for it. Neither of them will cut the MacBook back on this started yesterday, and I'm not really sure once I plug it in the charger usually should turn green when it's being charged. However, it's just barely flashing green on both Chargers. So I'm assuming it's not the Chargers and that it's the MacBook not really sure what to do about it.
----

I, like the client, am not really sure what this is or what to do about it. I'd like advice from the cohort as to how I should direct her. We have a Technibble member who posts intermittently who's very close to me who does Mac work, and I'll probably refer to her. I'd rather have some idea of what I'm potentially throwing her way, if she wants it, and am wondering what folks think this indicates?

First, and most important, which MacBook are we taking about? Is it MagSafe 1, 2 or 3? If it’s the new MagSafe 3 charger, the cables have shown that similar issue and the light is intermittent and not charging, if it’s an older model probably an issue with the MagSafe board (or liquid damage)

First, and most important, which MacBook are we taking about? Is it MagSafe 1, 2 or 3? If it’s the new MagSafe 3 charger, the cables have shown that similar issue and the light is intermittent and not charging, if it’s an older model probably an issue with the MagSafe board (or liquid damage)

Thanks. I've now asked for a photo of the make/model sticker on the charger itself (or both) and the underside of the Macbook. I think that Apple puts make/model on the underside of the Macbook, but it's been so long since I've looked I don't know.

The client responded and says it's a 2012 Macbook Pro that she's had for a few years now (obviously). She sent the photos as I was typing:
MacbookModelInfo.jpg

MagSafe_Adapter_Side1.jpg

MagSafe_Adapter_Side2.jpg

That ought to cover any questions about the specifics.

Also, as a side question, could this be as simple as dirty contacts on either the charger, Macbook itself, or both?

Yes it could, try and clean it and if you have a known good charger you can test, would be good to determine wether it’s the charger or MagSafe board.
Also is it the non retina model, they are also known for bad hd flex cable

Not familiar with those flashing green. They're solid green when the machine has a full charge. Otherwise they're orange.

Looked it up
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Purchase Date: June 2013

It was viable in terms of security updates for its OS until a few months ago. Best it can run is Catalina 10.15.7, which was dropped recently.

I found this page is helpful in explaining it to clients

Well, it's doing this with 2 different chargers, and I'm with the client in that I doubt it could possibly be 2 bad chargers.

I've referred the client to one of our other semi-regulars who does a lot more Mac work than I do. And I never touch "hardware work" when it comes to Macs.

I'm thankful that I don't get too terribly many calls for Apple Macs or iDevices, period. Not my cuppa . . .

Back