Linux firefox crashing

bnrr

Reaction score
I am a linux newbie and in need of help with issues with firefox as the main webpage for ubuntu(did I spell that right:confused:) I was kind intrested in trying out linux for the very first time. so I downloaded the OS installation and installed it as the second OS in my system (1st is XP pro) and did not experience any problems at all. after 4 days exploring and learning all about how to use linux and its features it happen, firefox crash, flickering black out which only last about 1 second, every time I click one websit in book marks the screen just kept on flickering black and crash and last longer more then 5 minutes. I could not get it restarted without use the restart button on tower panel. I tried to use what is called the 3 fingers of death which is Ctrl+Alt+Delt, but nothing happens so I had no choice but to use the reset button. I know that linux is not a windows OS, and useing the Ctrl+Alt+Del is probably not the right way to go. Now I do not want to boot to Ubuntu without the knowledge of what to do when encountering a problem. could someone please enrich me with what I should do in solving the crash prolbems:D My thanks to everyone, anyone who helped:D
system:
Geforce motherboard 939 socket AMD 64 3500+ processor
WD250gigabyte and 1gigabyte RAM

I have the same issue once in a while - I bet you have Flash installed - it is a know issue - Adobe is in the process of updating the Linux Flash 9 install.

Adobe put version 9 out their quick (glad they did!!) has a bug or 2 in it. I hear the new version of Firefox (V. 3) fixes this. I heard of peopel upgrading to Firefox 3 Beta all the time.

Holzster

I do have flash installed, but not in linux only in vista. oh by the way I have made a mistake when I said that I have XP pro as my first boot it's vista home. am I to understand that adobe flash is in some way messing around with the linux OS and causing the problems that I am experiencing? is it some how making a crossover..
and just to make things worse, I tried to boot into linux but could not, instead of booting and starting up the Linux OS it boots to the linux comman prompt. now I do not know any commands and the help section is so confusing, I had spend over 1 and half hour trying all kinds of commands that was listed, but just kept on receiving error messages that it is not recognize cmd. do you or any one in technibble could help me with this issues, or do I need to look for a self help book called Linux for dummies.
Thanks

if you start at a command prompt - just type in "startx"

that should start your x session

BTW I start all my Linux sessions at the prompt then start the x session.

I to was a GUI only person but after using the prompt (I had to make my self learn it) there is a lot of times I do not need the GUI.

Holzster

what video card are you using? Is it a Nvidia? Please let me know. There has been some issues in the past w/ Nvidia drivers in the restricted drivers.

The firefox thing happens to me once in a while as well. Are you trying to use all the eyecandy ubuntu provides? If ur system isn't that powerful you may not want to use all the desktop effects. I have never dual booted with vista & ubuntu but it seems like ur grub isn't set up correctly.... You will be able to get alot of help here. The easy way to try out ubuntu is the use of WUBI. Wubi installs in a folder on your drive and you didn't have to do all of the partitioning. But congrats on trying ubuntu.

Here is how to fix this problem, it worked for me anyway.

First Backup your bookmarks etc.. Open terminal and copy paste this code

Code:
mv .mozilla .mozilla_backup

Then press alt+f2 to open a run command

type

Code:
firefox -safe-mode
Check box that says restore defaults

close, and restart Firefox. You should be good to go at this point.

Just restore your bookmarks..

Back