Let my hat or crow eating commence: Sun Valley is officially branded as Windows 11

Seriously, refresh my memory. I don't recall specifically having to get new machines during the XP to 7 transition stage.
No, I am referring to Windows 10 going out of support if UEFI and TPM 2.0 being required to even upgrade from 10 or even clean install.
The out of support issue only, The new computer requirements will leave many users no choice.
There were a few Win 7 and older that could not run 10 well.

No, I am referring to Windows 10 going out of support if UEFI and TPM 2.0 being required to even upgrade from 10 or even clean install.
The out of support issue only, The new computer requirements will leave many users no choice.
There were a few Win 7 and older that could not run 10 well.

Yep, if Microsoft goes hard there will be push back. TPM doesn't even appear in anything that isn't TIER 1. Anyone here whiteboxing? Every single unit you're building RIGHT NOW cannot run Windows 11 with this requirement.

Also, for amusement, I just ran the Windows PC Health Check to see if this machine, with an i7 processor and 16GB of RAM would qualify.

This PC will not run Windows 11​

Your PC did not meet the needed requirements. You can continue to get Windows 10 updates5 6, or you can shop for a new Windows 10 PC that does meet the requirements.4
CAN I CONTINUE TO USE WINDOWS 10?SHOP NEW PCS

Last edited:
I ran the tool on my one year old gaming PC (9th gen CPU with 32 GB RAM) to check if it will run Windows 11 and it will not. I'm guessing because I have no TPM module installed. Looks like I will be staying on Windows 10 until 2025 with this PC unless I buy a module.

Most motherboards support an optional TPM slot. It's a $5 part.

And for us, personally, that's a cinch to retrofit. Bit think just how few users, whether residential or business, want to pay the amount, with labor and parts markup, it would cost. I think very, very few. And particularly if Microsoft does what it's now implying, and that's keeping Windows 10 going for another 4.5 years.

This is another one of those very, very ill thought-out product launches where what's being said right now is very, very unlikely to be carried through. I see all sorts of backpedaling in the next few months, but not called that by Microsoft. They want people on Windows 11 every bit as much as they wanted everyone on Windows 10.

the TPM is for drive encryption. So all the problems people have around here with auto encrypting drives?

Yeah... that's ALL systems now.

Given the firestorm... Its looking a lot like dropped requirement! Time will tell.

Last edited:
I think it best to just wait and see. Until it's out and has hit a few systems on review, we're not going to know much about it. Ya, we got the China copy.. but can't trust that too much, either.

Remember folks, Windows 10 is the "good version", we're due for a disaster version, lol.

95, 98, Millennium, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, 11... ??

Again, that is only for Enterprise clients. All us mere mortals will not see a LTS version.

Right now, I'm barely believing anything related to Windows 11, and its effects on Windows 10.

Less than 24 hours out the blowback is already big (and likely to get bigger) and the lack of any real planning behind this `new` Windows is showing.

I'll believe most of what I'm hearing by the end of July, but not even all of that.

Right now, I'm barely believing anything related to Windows 11, and its effects on Windows 10.

Less than 24 hours out the blowback is already big (and likely to get bigger) and the lack of any real planning behind this `new` Windows is showing.

I'll believe most of what I'm hearing by the end of July, but not even all of that.
No different than any other Microsoft Marketing efforts. If your PC is running Windows 10 today, the latest build, then I have no doubt it will run 11. That check my PC tool is a marketing gimmick trying to push PC sales. It lies. Windows 11 is far more forgiving and just like 10 they both will run on hardware that Microsoft claims is unsupported. And just like Microsoft said that the free upgrade was only for a year yet you STILL can upgrade Windows 7 to 10 and I'll bet good money 11 too.

the TPM is for drive encryption. So all the problems people have around here with auto encrypting drives?

I don't know what's worse, the lack of a local account for Windows 11 Home, the fact that Microsoft is going to be encrypting literally EVERY drive so backing up data becomes a HUGE pain in the a$$ (and the clients will 100% lose all their data if they can't remember their Microsoft account credentials!), or the fact that the Taskbar is now stuck on the bottom with no way to turn off the grouped application icons. Also, Timeline is gone. So let me get this straight. If I have 20x Chrome windows open and I minimize one, I now have to go through a huge list of BS trying to get it back and that's the only option??? Multitasking in Windows 11 is going to suck royally UNLESS they've finally fixed the issue of retaining multiple desktops upon restart. Right now the multiple desktops stay after restart, but all the windows revert to the main desktop, which basically makes the multiple desktop feature USELESS for me.

I use Windows in order to organize a bunch of...wait for it...WINDOWS! How the heck am I supposed to multi-task with this horrible operating system? It's not as bad as Mac OS, but it's really terrible compared to Windows 10.

All I can hope for is that Stardock comes up with a new version of Start10 that works with Windows 11. The taskbar has been completely rewritten from scratch in Windows 11 so it's not going to be easy for the developers to get rid of it.

I can't wait to get my hands on the developer preview version of this to see what other horrible chances they've made under the hood. But I can guarantee you they have NOT fixed ANY of the MAJOR problems that Windows has had for the past 25 years like their stupid 256 character limit, their broken network discovery feature, or the forced Windows updates that restart your computer in the middle of your work.

Right now you can do ALT+F4 during the initial setup in Windows 11 Home to force it to give you the local account option, but how much you wanna bet they're going to patch that before release?

People bring their computers in because they don't turn on and/or Windows won't start up. In either of these circumstances, I'm going to have to try to get them to remember their Microsoft account credentials (which they set up years ago and haven't had to enter since then), log into their Microsoft account, get them to do the 2FA over the phone, then log in and get their Bitlocker recovery key. This is going to massively increase the cost of data backup.

All Microsoft cares about is getting everyone tied into a Microsoft account so they can charge them for every little thing, and encrypting their drive so that they lose their data if their computer goes down is just another way for Microsoft to upsell cloud backup.

Oh, but don't worry! They've mucked up the maximize button so that you can split your windows 3/4 ways on a screen. First of all, WHO the heck is going to do this? I mean, I do it, but only on my 55" 4K monitor. Splitting the screen 3/4 ways is USELESS if you're on a little laptop screen. Bravo, Microsoft, you've added yet another USELESS feature that literally NO ONE asked for.

Hopefully there's terrible backlash from this and they change a lot of things over the next few years just like they did with Windows 10. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to try Windows 11 out, but chances are it won't be usable for me with the way they've crippled multi-tasking. At least if they'd fixed the multiple desktop options I could at least TRY to organize stuff, but there's just no way to organize all the stuff I keep open unless you ungroup the taskbar icons and/or have a timeline so at least you can quickly open up something you've recently minimized.

EDIT: The taskbar is now stuck on the bottom forever. You CAN'T move it. That's it, Microsoft. I'm not using this trash. I've put the taskbar on the top since Windows 95. It's stupid to have it on the bottom. Menus drop DOWN. NO WHERE else in Windows does ANY other menu go UP (unless you open a context menu on the bottom of the screen). Whether you like it on the bottom or not, removing customization is a HUGE turn-off for many, many users. God, Windows 11 has worse multi-tasking and customization than Windows 95.

Last edited:
I remember Microsoft refusing to budge on the start menu in Windows 8 until the blow back got so bad they caved and put it back in 8.1. I'm sure any requirements can be changed if the complaints get loud enough. Microsoft is just trying to be stubborn and force us to adapt to things we don't want again.

If Microsoft actually made this happen, it wouldn't be long before you would see articles from news sites with crazy headlines like "Is Microsoft trying to get into the ransomware business?" "Millions of customers drives encrypted with Bitlocker and Microsoft won't give them the recovery key!"

So.... why be upset?

Any customer who bought a machine in the prior few years never had any expectations that their machine would continue running up and coming operating systems, or at least should not have those expectations. Minimum hardware requirements have always been a thing. I suppose have a software lock to enforce it might be new in the windows world.

At any rate, their current hardware will run windows 10 for another 4+ years.

With all the free money the governments been handing out, I find it hard to believe too many people who are within any sort of financial means to own a computer can't easily afford a replacement by then.

Back