Leopard or Tiger?

JapanimemanDO

Reaction score
I have the option to upgrade to Leopard for free but I am not sure if it's worth the time and effort.

I am worried about:
-broken/incompatible applications (which I've heard is big for Adobe products)
-misdirection of files-I've heard Finder is restructured so I don't want to spend a day reorganizing music...etc.

I don't even know if the new features are worth the hassle, seeing as how my Tiger works fine and everything is as I like it.

Your thoughts?

I never really used Tiger that much. Played around with it on my stepdaughters bfs computer. My Mac came with Leopard and I love pretty much everything about it. Nothing in the Windows world even comes close.

If you are happy with Tiger you might just want to hold off until snow leopard.

I am worried about:
-broken/incompatible applications (which I've heard is big for Adobe products)
-misdirection of files-I've heard Finder is restructured so I don't want to spend a day reorganizing music...etc.
Your thoughts?

It depends on how old the apps are. If you are talking about upgrading a late model G4 PowerMac with old older software then I would not upgrade unless you are sure.

If things are fairly new then I would upgrade to Leopard (10.5). We are starting to see new software from the smaller vendors appear with Leopard only versions. Software updates are down to major security updates on Tiger (10.4) now and I am betting we have at least 6-9 more months before Snow Leopard (10.6) is available.

The upgrade to 10.5 on many systems has been pretty painless in my shop.

Like any major software change, I would make a system backup first. Boot OSX CD and use disk utility to copy to an external disk. Then you are only out a little time if things don't work out. Safety first.

Back