Lenovo - Yoga vs IdeaPad

britechguy

Reaction score
Is either one of these lines far superior to the other? I could swear this was discussed recently, but the site search is not working and I have tried all my magic search term combinations with the site: operator in web search engines, and have not turned up what I'm looking for.

I just received this e-mail from a blind client, and while I generally like Lenovo products, I'm not quite sure how to guide him here:

I can't seem to get a real straight answer out of Lenovo regarding the differences between their Yoga and Ideapad laptops. One thing the Yoga has a metal lid and bottom and the bottom of the ideapad is plastic. They don't seem to want to talk about the internal differences. I have always bought a more premium laptop thus the Envy line [Note: which he's returning, as they've removed the right side CTRL key, which screen reader users use constantly, and put a fingerprint scanner in its place].
The one Ideapad flex 5I I have a quote on is a 12th Gen I7, 8 Gigs of faster Ram and a 512 Gig ssd selling for $745 directly from Lenovo. A similar Yoga 7I has a 11th Gen I7 8 Gigs of slower Ram and 512 Gig of ssd for $769. One issue I see is that Ideapad has a much better collection of ports.

Opinions welcomed.

It was my view based on offerings that Yoga was a consumer offering, IdeaPad was originally used for Tablets but maybe they directed that? I know the Yoga were known for 2 in 1 function, is the IdeaPad too?

They really blur the lines. Honestly, it's the same crap inside so if they are worried grab a warranty direct from Lenovo (that's the only form of extended warranty that's not outright fraud)

I really like the build quality of the YOGA - but damned... their motherboards seem to be a constant weak point. For that reason alone I will recommend the ideapad.

The Ideapads are purely consumer.. (1 year) computers....but some of the Yoga models are, however there are also some biz grade Yoga models under the Thinkpad brand....which are great....for example there's a ThinkPad X1 Yoga.

Yoga has had a few models which did excel, there was a Yoga 920 model which I sold a lot of, even got my wife one...and it's still going strong about 6 years later and she loves it. It was a model with the watchband hinge for the screen.

Thinkpads FTW, I sold a refurbished one just the other day; absolute solid units.
Added 8GB RAM & SSD client very happy.

Not a fan of Yoga and Ideapads, similar to chromebooks - just poorly designed products doomed to fail.

Ideapad 3 are junk, Ideapad 5 are a bit less junky. [Non-Thinkpad] Yoga are a little better than Ideapad 5 and are (I believe) the premium consumer range from Lenovo, on a similar level to HP Envy and Dell XPS.

But for any customer that wants a premium laptop, highly recommended to get commercial-grade. So Lenovo Thinkpad (including Thinkpad Yoga series), HP ProBook and EliteBook, Dell Latitude. Apart from better quality than premium consumer laptops, better warranty such as onsite service and up to 3 years standard. Because of the better warranty, purchasing from bargain online sellers is less risky as the seller isn't needed for warranty.

Repaired a Dell G15 Gaming laptop just other day. Hinge issue as has been with that model, split the lower shell and upper.
I ordered a new Panel assembly + hinges bezel & a new Display Panel. Was a mission to find parts, though found a better designed assembly for that model "adds two extra screw points between shells" Flaw in original design had fewer, that is the level I goto with customers.

I generally sell and use ASUS laptops, very reliable - not an ASUS sponsor though great gear they do make.

Last edited:
The Yoga models are 2-in-one (screen flips around to use as a tablet), the Ideapad models are "regular" laptops. Both are consumer-targeted (with @YeOldeStonecat 's exception for the X1 Yoga). I would recommend avoiding the i7 models, they generate a lot of heat and the cooling isn't up to the task, IMO. I had a new one last month (1 day old) where a few-hour use on a cloth tablecloth-covered table cooked it. Lenovo covered it with a straight swap, but I was surprised. I stick with the i5 models because of that, and they are a good middle-of-the-road choice for that form-factor. $1K or thereabouts for a nice ultrabook.

Back