Learned something new about Unifi's Dream Machine Pro today...

HCHTech

Reaction score
I installed a UDM-Pro and a US-16-150W at a giant-housed residential customer a couple of months ago. They have a full network rack & about 8 Luxul access points, which we are going to replace as soon as the Unifi U6-Pro-US units become more available. At the install, I added the router and switch to my Hostifi controller just fine, but noticed it showed as disconnected less than a week later. Everything was working fine, though, and said homeowner was out of the country on business so fast-forward to today when I finally get back onsite to figure out the problem.

I tried re-adopting, resetting the inform address over SSH, but nothing helped, so I opened a chat with Hostifi. I was sad to learn that: "UDM and UDMP cannot be adopted to Hostifi or any 3rd party hosting. Ubiquiti have designed them both to only manage themselves via their inbuilt controller." Well, shoot. I wish I had known that in advance. So now, I'm going to be forced to do a DDNS to get remote access, which depends on port-forwarding in the cable modem they've got at the edge. Not my favorite choice, I'll admit.

Yeah the Dreamies have their own built in Unifi controller. Thus...no 3rd party. It's similar to a cloud key, so no 3rd party like Hostifi. You could say the Dreamies have their own built in Cloud Key.

But you can still easily manage all your dream machines just like Cloud Keys....you just tie them to your unifi.ui account, and they show up at unifi.ui.com with all the others. No need for DDNS and port forwarding.

But you can still easily manage all your dream machines just like Cloud Keys....you just tie them to your unifi.ui account, and they show up at unifi.ui.com with all the others. No need for DDNS and port forwarding.
This. Everyone is on my controller I host on DigitalOcean except for the UDM which I have on unifi.ui.com

Thanks - that works, of course - breaks the "single pane of glass" idea, although I don't know why I'm worrying about that - I've already got 4 or 5 "single panes of glass" consoles, what's one more? :rolleyes:

Thanks - that works, of course - breaks the "single pane of glass" idea, although I don't know why I'm worrying about that - I've already got 4 or 5 "single panes of glass" consoles, what's one more? :rolleyes:

To a degree....yes. Although, we look at it this way.
Any "on-prem Unifi controllers"....be it a Cloud Key original, Gen1, Gen2, G2Plus, or UDM...those are accessible for free in our UNIFI.UI.COM account. You'll see the modern versions right there on the top level, and if you hang on that page for a minute..you'll see the link appear up top for "legacy devices".....network.ui.com ...to access the old gen1 keys or on-prem controllers running on a host like a Windows server, or a VM on Hyper-V.

We generally stick our "one-time projects" there. Non-MSP clients. Clients we will not be collecting monthly money from. Has no cost to us.

Managed clients will be managed from our account at hostifi, we did a "unifi2.<ourdomain>" and pointed it there. For the most part we don't use UDMs for our managed clients, usually an Untangle there.

Back