Killing the Windows 10 Update Nag

TechLady

Reaction score
Anybody got any new solutions for killing the new update nag/ad/icon? The script I was using no longer works. I need something, because I'm getting more and more clients getting suckered into the update "accidentally."

I know what you mean.
I have been looking for a permanent fix for quite sometime.
Unfortunately GWX control panel is not it. But we must thank the author for trying anyway.

Regards,

I turned Windows 10 notifications to "Hide notifications and icon" and although I have the Win10 icon in the system tray I get no notifications to upgrade at all. Did this on three machines and it seems to hold. Hmmm......

I know what you mean.
I have been looking for a permanent fix for quite sometime.
Unfortunately GWX control panel is not it. But we must thank the author for trying anyway.

Regards,
The author is expected to post an updated version any day now. He reported on the 15th that it was halfway there. Microsoft keeps changing the damn rules.

I downloaded GWX on 9th December still working on 3 Win 7 machines here with no nags.

Note: It's now in Windows Repair Toolbox.

Same here but some have seen it return with the current version. The latest version has an optional service that runs and will let you know if it comes back. Of course that is only good so long as Microsoft's nag resembles previous versions. If they totally change the executable then your f'd. Damn virus writers. And they AV programs are all cowards. This is by all definitions a PUP(Potentially Unwanted Program). The fact that Microsoft rolls it out via Windows Update doesn't change that fact. It is certainly something Malwarebytes, AVG, BitDefender or ADWCleaner could remove but they don't because it is Microsoft. /rant

I have run it on multiple machines and haven't had any issues including my personal rig that runs Windows 7. Hands down one of the best programs to combat the issue right now.

Best way is described here. No 3rd party software required.

Long story short: Open notepad and paste the following text into it:

============================================================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]

"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

Save the file as "GWX Block.reg"

Run the reg file you just made

Reboot

Done

Best way is described here. No 3rd party software required.

Long story short: Open notepad and paste the following text into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]

"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

Save the file as "GWX Block.reg"

Run the reg file you just made

Reboot

Done

This is how I do it as well. Have saved the reg file to a USb Zip drive so it is nice and portable and use it on many of my Business user PC's as well as my own. - so far so good

Has anyone tried Steve Gibson's "Never 10" app?
I occasionally listen to his TWIT podcast, and it is mentioned as an alternative to GWX Control Panel.

Cheers!

I have. Been applying it here and there to see how it does. So far so good!

That's good TechLady.
I've tried it on my own personal & family equipment (but not my work computers), and so far, my opinion of it (the Never 10 app) is positive.

Cheers!

I've done what wheelie has said and it works. I use RemtoeMaxx and level platforms(now avg) was also able to create a script to run, check for and make the registry changes automatically.

Back