Keep that machine clean!

Durinthiam

Reaction score
Make sure every now and again you do a thorough clean of your pc

You can get anti-static wipes for relativley nothing, use them to clean your scanner & screen

If you do not use your printer that much make sure you do nozzle-checks and test pages to stop the ink from drying up

Tip your keyboard on its side and gently tap it on the desk, just watch how much dirt and bits fall out when you turn it upside down!

If you have a ball mouse, open up the ball cover and get a dry cloth in there to clean of the horrible rolled up grease and hair

If you feel confident enough to clean the insides of your tower then get some compressed air cleaner (about 99p a can) and (note: make sure PC is off and you open the window) get rid of any dust that has collected

and last but not least, have a shower you dirty person!

Durinthiam said:
If you feel confident enough to clean the insides of your tower then get some compressed air cleaner (about 99p a can) and (note: make sure PC is off and you open the window) get rid of any dust that has collected
Be sure to stand back when you do this step otherwise you'll get blasted with a hell of alot of ultra fine dust. (I know this from experience :eek:)

Tipping the keyboard usually doesn't help, I've found that popping all the keys out and returning them in works much better. ;)

As for mechanical mice, a dry cloth does work, but it's even better if you dip the rollers in ethanol alcohol for about half an hour before drying and returning it. It'll wipe away the grease on the rollers that causes dirt to build up. Just make sure you return them when they're completely dry, and that you move them around with a pair of clean tweezers, so you don't get them even slightly greasy again.

tapping and tipping works, taking keys out takes a while and some may use too much force on shift and spacebar and knacker the tiny little plastic clips

Hmm, you guys cared to provide how to clean pc, but didnt provide any reason as to why it should be cleaned? Is it just to avoid overheating or parts or some other magical reason?

Inside the case -> prevent overheat

Otherwise just general damage prevention and good hygiene!

That goes double for heatsinks. Heatsinks work by convecting heat off the metal body towards the air circulating inside. Air is relatively good for thermal convection - dust bunnies aren't. Next, internal slots may behave erratically if they're clogged. That's relatively rare, but there's no need to risk it.

That, and I don't fancy having a family of spiders nest inside my computer. :D

When I dragged an old school server out to replace it I found half a dead mouse in the tower, what worried me was where was the other half and what's got it? :p

Stealth said:

That, and I don't fancy having a family of spiders nest inside my computer. :D

Oh thats the reason everynight i see some spider crawling on my desk and i keep squashing them and more keep coming, now i fear opening the case up :eek: .

Stealth said:
I have one living in my right speaker. The bass has been sounding a bit better, though. :D

Probably the spiders living in your speaker might be enjoying the vibrations and stuff and feel cozy in there thats why they dont come out.

Knuckles10 said:
Be sure to stand back when you do this step otherwise you'll get blasted with a hell of alot of ultra fine dust. (I know this from experience :eek:)

I found that out the hard way. It was like a huge dust storm...

Sandpaper works wonders for cleaning monitors.

Okay, not really.:)

Laharl ex said:
I found that out the hard way. It was like a huge dust storm...
Its really nasty because its so fine, it lingers in the air for ages and gets into your lungs.

If you blow the dust off with your mouth, only ever blow once because you blow out, get all that dust airborne, breath in for the second blow and get a lungfull.

I have never really done anything to keep my computer clean but after reading that I am going to have to take some actions to take care of that.

Oh, I just remembered there is something worse than this fine dust that collects on your PC. It is worse when the computer owner is a smoker.
The cigarette smoke collides with this fine dust and becomes very paste-y and thick. It also smells pretty bad.

I have seen power supply fans stop spinning because they were so clogged up with this gunk.

Back