[REQUEST] iPad Air won't charge after screen repair

quinnlaup

Reaction score
Got an iPad Air in which the customer replaced the screen on themselves. After completing this they noticed that it won't charge past 3% although the charging symbol does come on. I tried my own charger with it and there was no change. I also checked the charging port for debris and found nothing. They said they used the ifixit guide and I was wondering if they possibly damaged the logic board when they inserted the plastic pick to isolate the battery? I could not see any damage.

Kind regards,

Paul

Replace the battery. If that doesn't fix it then replace the charging port.

If that doesn't work they knocked off a chip near the battery on the logic board. Without that chip it doesn't know when to stop charging so it doesn't. My guess is that is what happened.

Tell him it's toast and sell him something else. This is NOT the type of client you want. I will NEVER touch a computer/tablet/whatever that the client has tried to repair themselves. There are ALWAYS future problems and they ALWAYS blame you for them. And to top it all off, they're cheap wads because they tried to do it themselves. This is NOT a good situation.

In this situation I tell the client that it's likely toast and that I'll take it in on trade towards another computer/tablet. Then I'll take it in and use it for learning/parts/whatever. But under NO circumstances would I "fix" it and give it back to him, or sell it to another client. This thing is now a parts/learning machine.

Plug in the charger and then turn the iPad off.
See if it charges overnight or at least a few hours.
If it does then they've fried it by using a cheap third party cable.

Tell him it's toast and sell him something else. This is NOT the type of client you want. I will NEVER touch a computer/tablet/whatever that the client has tried to repair themselves. There are ALWAYS future problems and they ALWAYS blame you for them. And to top it all off, they're cheap wads because they tried to do it themselves. This is NOT a good situation.

In this situation I tell the client that it's likely toast and that I'll take it in on trade towards another computer/tablet. Then I'll take it in and use it for learning/parts/whatever. But under NO circumstances would I "fix" it and give it back to him, or sell it to another client. This thing is now a parts/learning machine.

Well said.

We fix these all the time but it's not a repair for most shops. Before considering board repair, make sure you're using an authentic Apple charging cable. I can't tell you how many times customers come in swearing they have a charging problem only to find they have a cable problem. Also if you're doing many iPad and/or phone repairs it's a good idea to invest $20 in a battery charger/tester so you isolate these sorts of problems. Something like this although there are many variations that do the same thing. Make sure it comes with cables to charge ipad batteries in the case.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Kaisi-9202-phone-repair-tools-Battery_60430048538.html?s=p

While I agree mostly with the "don't touch it with a 10 ft pole" group, I think its worth it for our forum for this issue to be explained.

Most likely the charging IC on the logic board has suffered a failure, or a component directly related to it has. You can watch Jessa's video on the repair with an iPhone, as the same process and concept. Its not called the U2 chip in the Air though. If memory serves its U6000, but same principle. I believe people also refer to it as the tristar chip. She goes over the "fake charging" your customer is experiencing, as well as a few alternate symptoms a bad tristar chip can cause. The repair is not for the faint of heart.

I think as a service it's fine to ofer this if your shop has the skills.

But it always comes down to, has someone been inside and played around before you? Those types of job I typically refuse or charger higher rates depending on the attitude of the customer. If I get any pushback from the customer, I return the device as is and don't charge anything.

The ones I don't mind doing is when the customer is upfront and says "yeah I tried, I failed, can you help out?" and we work on a solution from there. It's all a difference in attitude.

I think either do 100% iPad/iPhone repair or nothing at all, and like others said not the type of client you want

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

While I agree mostly with the "don't touch it with a 10 ft pole" group, I think its worth it for our forum for this issue to be explained.

Most likely the charging IC on the logic board has suffered a failure, or a component directly related to it has. You can watch Jessa's video on the repair with an iPhone, as the same process and concept. Its not called the U2 chip in the Air though. If memory serves its U6000, but same principle. I believe people also refer to it as the tristar chip. She goes over the "fake charging" your customer is experiencing, as well as a few alternate symptoms a bad tristar chip can cause. The repair is not for the faint of heart.

It's like asking a car mechanic to do data recovery ;>). I fix this kind of stuff, and while I agree that working on previous failed repair attempts is a pain, that comes with the (my) territory. If you specialize in PC/Mac IT/Repairs, then yes...run away from this one. You should just refer them to a specialized shop.

This kind of issue is an advanced cell phone repair technician job( including software issues)..because there are cell phone repair technician Level 1/ Level 2/ Level 3/ Level 4....

Back