Internet Explorer navigation buttons and Address bar not working (And More!)

phaZed

Reaction score
I'm having an issue clearing up some issues with IE on a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 box.

This machine came in for "IE issues" with missing pictures which turned out to really be jscript not running on pages. Computer had Search Protect and accompanying Virus - but nothing extreme in the virus department. Chrome and Firefox work just fine.

The issue is as follows:
Internet Explorer 11 (was installed upon arrival)
- Everything seemed to work except jscript, the customer's homepage, a local news station (www.wric.com) would not display their jscript widgets. Jscript issues are universally not working for other sites as well.
-Rolled back to IE 10 - Same issue exists as IE11
-Rolled back to IE 9 - Navigation buttons and address bar do not work. No back or forward navigation, no "Go" or "Stop" - The buttons are there and a clickable but do not perform any action - a "dead stick". Also, upon opening IE, the homepage is blank but seems to load (internet traffic passes to machine) and IE's loading wheel spins for a moment and Favicon is pulled from site. Just can't seem to display the page. IE's menu items are grayed out (Internet Options, Developer Tools, Manage Add On's etc) as if IE hasn't had a chance to fully load. Now, if I open a New tab a new tab will open to the IE "New Tab" page and is displayed. From here I can click any of the links on this page and it will go to them - so in-page navigation seems to be working and I can load Bing from here and perform searches, etc. The Grayed out menu items are now available when the new tab is loaded. Still no navigation button or Address bar will work.
The Favorites bar also does not work.
-Rolled back to IE 8 - Same exact issues as IE9

Then, I uninstalled IE 8 and the system has NO IE. Reinstalling IE8, IE9, IE10, IE11 and the same issues as above manifest themselves as listed above.

I have run chkdsk (No prob) and ran SFC (Found problems and fixed them, subsequent SFC runs are clean). The system has been cleaned with D7II's malware regimen (MBAR, MBAM, SAS, Hitman, TDSS Killer, Avast Browser Cleanup, JRT, AdwCleaner). Permission have been reset and DLL's re-registered. I have also run Tweaking.com's Windows Repair. Java was uninstalled and reinstalled (a hail mary!) Shockwave was removed, Flash removed and reinstalled. I have removed or disabled all addons and have run IE with the "-extoff" command to start with no add ons. Have tried running IE as Admin as well. No change.

I can regsvr32 jscript.dll with no problem but I CAN NOT register jscript9.dll - I get the error "The module "jscript9.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0X80004005"

The error code suggests that I need to run the command from an elevated prompt, but it is. Trying the Administrator account or a newly created admin account does not help.

I have tried a known good copy of jscript9.dll with same issue (Original jscript9.dll and replacement jscript9.dll differ in size, however)

Safe mode does not help. Resetting Internet settings multiple times does not help.

This may be pertinent - The customer has installed and paid for ( :eek: ) IOBIT Advanced System Care, Uninstaller, Defrag, Registry cleaner, etc. These items have been removed and no traces seem to be left.

I have also tried the MSFIXIT (a few of them) for IE and possible related issues.

Any idea's on what the hack is going on here? Repeating virus removal routines and putting my two eyes on things and everything looks clean. Everything else works great, just IE is broken.

I'm at a loss here.

Last edited:
Norton removal tool. Just on general principal. ;)

Good idea, on general principal that is. Doesn't look like Norton has ever been installed but I ran the removal tool with no change :(

EDIT: The computer did have Avast! drivers installed upon arrival, but those have been removed as well.

Last edited:
Three words... in place upgrade, this is the only way to fix and make sure all OS files are in sync. Then reapply all updates.

Agreed. Just sucks cause I fixed this whole system up and did all the work. What's really strange is that there are no errors in the logs - hence no breadcrumbs to follow.

Got approval last night to "do what I have to do" ;)

Thanks everyone.

This is why I hate IE there’s no way you can completely flush it out like you can with other browsers

There should be a way of resetting it, without clean install
I have known 32 bit not to work while 64 bit works perfectly so they are not the same

IE navigation buttons not working

IE navigation buttons not working reminds me of my first thread here back in 2009, I used Process Monitor to find out two files IESHIMS.DLL and STDOLE2.TLB were missing or damaged and replacing them fixed the problems

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10900
I tried installing IE8 and the whole browser will load now but the homepage will say it is loading but never will, all the menus worked but nothing on the address or search bars portion works, if you open a second tab it loads and then if you click back on the first tab the homepage then loads, you can press F5 and the pages will refresh or you can press Esc and the pages will stop loading but if you click next to the address bar to refresh or stop those buttons don't work only the keyboard shortcuts do.
http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10900
Maybe a little more detailed description of the problem will help:
In IE8 when you click back it doesn't go back, when you click forward it doesn't go forward, in the address bar when you type an address it doesn't do anything, if you click refresh it doesn't refresh, when you click stop it doesn't stop, in the search bar when you type something to search for it doesn't search.

Back