Internet dropping out at various locations in property

frase

Reaction score
I have a customer who has an issue with the internet intermittently dropping out at various locations on their property - All ran by Cat6 Cables

It drops out in the shed out the back and a granny flat they have (All Wired Connections) The front of the house drops out as well.

There are various router's and switches located around the property. The main router is a Nighthawk D7800 where all these connections originate via. The customer states if they reset the main router, it resolves the issue.

Here is the layout of the plan - I have not been onsite as yet.

1000000127001.jpg

-TIA-

Last edited:
Unless those routers are actually just wifi APs the switch to router is a bad config if they are wifi routers setup intended to work as APs I wouldn't be surprised to find them still setup as routers which may be a part of the problem.

Was it mentioned how many total devices are connected?

I would replace everything with UBNT equipment. If you can't do that at least stop using the extra routers as switches. You should set them up as APs and plug everything into a proper switch. If these are separate buildings how is the wire run? Is it outdoor rated and run in dry conduit?

Yeah time to ditch the romper room hardware, and get a good..same brand setup across that CAN (campus area network). Properly setup, not with routers behind routers behind routers, backwards or not. I'd Unifi it too. Or...granted...UBNT supply shortage, if there's another brand, like Engenious, Aruba InstantOn, etc.

If those are dumb switches it is going to be near impossible to troubleshoot. You likely need at least interface counters to isolate the problem.

How easy is it to reproduce the problem? or how random is it?

If you can recreate the problem in 60 seconds, you could simply try unplugging the shed and verifying if the house stops dropping. If it resolves, plug in the shed and unplug the granny flat, etc. Ultimately, some way or another you will need to isolate it.

If it was my own money, I would just rebuild this mess, but a customer probably wants it fixed labor only and for $100. Have fun with that.

My recommendation personally would be to get a tiny Palo Alto or Fortinet firewall otherwise if the budget is tight do Packet Fence on an ARM device to the Internet. From there, I would connect a PoE++ switch probably a 12 port Cisco or if the budget is tight in order: Meraki, Ruckus ICX, Aruba, Ubiquiti switch instead.

Since the only reason for the Switch is run Access-Points, I would NOT have any other switches in the topology... Instead the {rear, front, shed, granny_shack} would all get an Access Point. If needed, I would pull new copper CAT6 otherwise if I was lazy, I would attach an RJ-45 plug and then a keystone jack and join the cables. Regardless, I would wire it all as a star topology, so the ideal fix would be to pull a network cable from the granny-shack back to the front and not have any connections anywhere in the network cable.

Now, if they really want switches in all those places, I would make sure they are all PoE++ switches of the same brand in the order of preference above. Regardless, I would ensure there is a minimum of SFP+ supported on each switch and buy some cheap probably $11 transceivers on FiberStore... Presumably the 10G BASE-SR, so I could use cheap multi-mode fiber. From there, I would just buy OM3 or OM4 50/125 (aqua or perhaps purple) fiber with the LC to LC connectors already installed in the proper lengths. It would be maybe $5 per meter for the fiber, so very cheap.

The reasoning is with all the computers and wireless, if any device misbehaves it can consume up to 1 Gbps. If you have 10Gbps among the switches, even a layer-2 shitstorm probably will not significantly adversely impact the network resulting in drops or latency provided you buy decent equipment with good ASICs.

Most of the networks I build today use two 100G-BASE-FR single-mode QSFP28 form-factor transceivers on each end for LACP. I generally do 200 Gbps between switch stacks, but I have not had to do granny sheds.

Back