install 8.1 on Arabic toshiba

pcpete

Reaction score
We have a Toshiba computer which was originally from some Arabic country. The client said it came with 8 originally. It does not have a visable COA. Using rweverything, it has a valid slic and msdn key. We have not been able to get anything to activate with it. We have tried 8.1 home, pro, n home, and n pro. We have also tried installing with 10. Any thoughts to why any of these versions are not activating? Any suggestions?

Beyond what @nlinecomputers said the keys are language/region specific. You may be able to use an Internet exit point from the original country and try to do the download that way to use the slic. If they want English you need to go the retail or refurb route.

If it doesn't have a visible COA then putting anything on it that you are not selling him is piracy. MSDN keys will not be in bios.
We are not selling him anything. Our thought was if it came from the factory with an msdn key attached to the motherboard that was proof that it is legitimate. Since it is an oem Toshiba and if the key activated, it was not piracy in my view. COAs come off on occasion do to different reasons.

We will tell him he has to buy a second license if he wants it repaired.

We are not selling him anything. Our thought was if it came from the factory with an msdn key attached to the motherboard that was proof that it is legitimate. Since it is an oem Toshiba and if the key activated, it was not piracy in my view. COAs come off on occasion do to different reasons.

MSDN keys as NEVER sold, legally that is. The D stands for Developers. Based on my limited experience with OEM's, including Toshiba since they are popular in many other countries, from foreign countries you cannot even order the official recovery set in the US. Been there done that.

You mentioned that you've tried Windows 10 - was that the the original release (build 10240) or Threshold 2 (version 1511, build 10586)? We've seen a clean installation (not an upgrade) of version 1511 activate on a couple of Windows 8.1 machines (one of which was a Toshiba originally set up in Russian) without any problems at all.

You mentioned that you've tried Windows 10 - was that the the original release (build 10240) or Threshold 2 (version 1511, build 10586)? We've seen a clean installation (not an upgrade) of version 1511 activate on a couple of Windows 8.1 machines (one of which was a Toshiba originally set up in Russian) without any problems at all.
It was the newest build of 10

Great to hear and know. Now just got to figure out how to remember this amongst all the other little nuggets we collect over time.
Yep. This is the second time I've been in a thread about the Single Lang version and I didn't remember it either. Of course I was biased into thinking about piracy with the MSDN/M mistake and didn't think on it further.

Back