Imac data recovery

lan101

Reaction score
Does anyone offer service to imacs for data recovery these days? Everyone I talk to says they get destroyed in shipping etc. I guess any secrets to packing them? Just seems no one does these things anymore lol. 2019 imac a customer of mine has that wants some data from it. Simply doesn't power on anymore and I know apple could repair it for probably $1500 or more I'm sure haha.

Warning: Rant to follow, not helpful to your situation.

Why, in the name of all that is holy, do Mac users not use Time Machine?!! I only wish that Microsoft equipped Windows with its equivalent, and while File History is very helpful, it's not as comprehensive in what it backs up as Time Machine. And it's just so simple to use (unlike File History, which is a cinch to set up, it's way less than a cinch to pull files back from, particularly on a different machine than the one you originated the File History on).

Does anyone offer service to imacs for data recovery these days? Everyone I talk to says they get destroyed in shipping etc. I guess any secrets to packing them? Just seems no one does these things anymore lol. 2019 imac a customer of mine has that wants some data from it. Simply doesn't power on anymore and I know apple could repair it for probably $1500 or more I'm sure haha.

the problem with the 2019 model is that the flash ssd is proprietary and it has 2 of them, the only way to read them is to replace the component that is creating the power issue (power supply or logic board), or you can try to open it and disconnect the microfone connector (on some 2015 models the microphone cable short circuits the logic board and prevents it to power on, disconnecting solves the issue)

Do you have a Mac specialty shop in your area? If so, I would refer the client there for a repair estimate - might be cheaper than you think, and certainly cheaper than Apple would charge.

Warning: Rant to follow, not helpful to your situation.

Why, in the name of all that is holy, do Mac users not use Time Machine?!! I only wish that Microsoft equipped Windows with its equivalent, and while File History is very helpful, it's not as comprehensive in what it backs up as Time Machine. And it's just so simple to use (unlike File History, which is a cinch to set up, it's way less than a cinch to pull files back from, particularly on a different machine than the one you originated the File History on).
Time Machine is the best part of the Mac ecosystem. I literally recommend every client I have purchase a drive and keep it attached at all times, especially those with iMacs that are stationary anyway. At this point, in my area, more than half my clients are Apple users. I keep several drives specifically for TM backup in my workspace, and won't even start working on a Mac before I back it up with Time Machine.

I only wish that Microsoft equipped Windows with its equivalent
Agree. The problem is that no one can just write an equivalent for Windows, unless you replaced NTFS with a new file system. The Mac file system is what allows for this. There was a 3rd party product for Windows that came close to Time Machine, but it wasn't free and didn't work quite as well.

I'm have trouble following what is the problem???

1. You can definitely ship them. Ask the customer if they still have the original box and packing. If they tossed it, buy a box with original packing. After you box it, put it in a larger box with at least 3-4" padding all the way around the original box. At least that's what we do.

2. If it doesn't turn on, pull the screen and look at the diagnostic LEDs to see where it gets stuck. We've seen several bad screens on these and keep a cracked one for a tester. Try to fix it.

3. If you have the screen off, you can determine if you're working with a fusion raid setup, ssd or mechanical. There are data recovery places that can get data from fusion raid setups but they need both drives so you'll have to pull the motherboard to gain access to the M2.

Seems like you're shying away from getting involved and if that's the case just recommend it to a shop that work on these routinely. These are definitely repairable, shippable and data recoverable.

Data can be recovered from 2019 iMacs. The SSD is removable (https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac-27-inch-5k-2019-pciessd/) and recoverable using the appropriate adapter for this PCIe interface. As others mentioned, if Fusion, it's slightly more tricky but still recoverable, especially if the issue is not a bad SSD or hard drive. Likely, the drives are okay if the issue is "no power."

Do you have a Mac specialty shop in your area? If so, I would refer the client there for a repair estimate - might be cheaper than you think, and certainly cheaper than Apple would charge.

That's really what I'm trying to find. Since we all know apple never actually wants to repair anything unless it's for the same price as a new one lol.

Data can be recovered from 2019 iMacs. The SSD is removable (https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac-27-inch-5k-2019-pciessd/) and recoverable using the appropriate adapter for this PCIe interface. As others mentioned, if Fusion, it's slightly more tricky but still recoverable, especially if the issue is not a bad SSD or hard drive. Likely, the drives are okay if the issue is "no power."

Yeah that's what I figured something causing it not to power on. I found a few places they are going to call so hopefully it works out.

Back