I'm starting to think of Google as a competing website

InHomeComputerHelp.com

Reaction score
Let me explain. People want prospects to stay on their website as long as possible without having to get additional information from a third party source. Google is now doing the same thing with snipits and AI searches. This decreases the chance of people getting the information they want by actually going to your website and reading your sales pitches.

Just my weird opinion,
Rick

I don't really care. I get tons of phone calls from my GMB listing. Just answering the damned phone and acting personable puts me ahead of 90% of my competitors. It would suck though for people who lack the social graces because now you've gotta sell them on the phone.

Can you show an example? I know the new Google GA-4 really mucked me up for awhile. I couldn't figure out how to configure it, finally I called in and they helped me, it was not easy to do. Even the guy helping me had to check his KB.

I sometimes get the top snipit for my Outlook blogs, but not all that often. Is this what you're talking about? This is one of my snips that gets me a lot of traction, but few calls as I give away all the answers.

1701406961262.png

Can you show an example? I know the new Google GA-4 really mucked me up for awhile. I couldn't figure out how to configure it, finally I called in and they helped me, it was not easy to do. Even the guy helping me had to check his KB.

I sometimes get the top snipit for my Outlook blogs, but not all that often. Is this what you're talking about? This is one of my snips that gets me a lot of traction, but few calls as I give away all the answers.

View attachment 15586
That's a great example of what I'm talking about. They get their answer on Google itself so they don't go to your webpage to see your offers.
Rick

That's a great example of what I'm talking about. They get their answer on Google itself so they don't go to your webpage to see your offers.

And it's something we're going to have no choice about. But there will be plenty of clients who still need us for things that don't really make it easy to find "quick and dirty fixes" for, even with AI.

Nothing is so constant as change, and nowhere is change so constant and rapid than in the world of computing. I only worry about what I can control, and this is not something I can control. The fallout, whatever it may be, is something we simply deal with.

I'm sitting here waiting for everyone to realize those snippets and summaries are generated on the fly via Copilot, which is now built into every Windows 11 machine in the planet.

Search engines do this sure, but soon enough people won't even be going to those sites, and all they will read is a summary generated by an AI, in a slide panel on the side of their screen. No... you cannot attract customers via the web anymore that way. Content will be consumed by the larger players, and your customers will never get to you unless they see your name on something enough to contact you.

That's basically the pull method of getting sales from LinkedIn, but applied to every website on the planet.

It feels really bad, but I'm not convinced it will actually hurt anyone that invests time in putting technical content online yet. Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Walmart, OpenAI... you can view all of them as competitors, and you'd be correct! But at the same time they are also allies in many ways too.

All we do know is change... the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Back