I was approved today

What you just purchased is the same as you get as a refurbisher. This install will break the EULA.
Sorry for the bad news.

PS. When these were still available they paid I believe $30 for them.

The following Windows 7 products reached End of License (EOL) on October 31, 2014:

• Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
Note:

• System builders are no longer able to order Windows 7 product from authorized distributors, with the exception of Windows 7 Professional.
  • System builders are permitted to sell through any inventory of Windows 7 product.
  • Windows 7 Professional will continue to be available from authorized distributors. The Windows 7 Professional EOL date has not yet been announced.
  • Microsoft will give OEMs a minimum of one year's notice of the Windows 7 Professional EOL date.
Since this was not available to me through MS, did I do something wrong by buying from a source that is sell-through? As long as I am refurbishing what will be my computer and reselling it to him?

Some of the EULA rules can be very confusing.

When I have a customer like that. I show them the cost difference between upgrading theirs and getting one of these instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883798226

If they want performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883797533&cm_re=m92p-_-83-797-533-_-Product

The upgrade cost is always more if done legally.

True. You can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. But I've got no problem making more money after I've done my due diligence.

And remember that a lot of people are rebelling against this "everything is disposable" environment we're in. I had a potential customer call me recently about a printer repair. Parts and labor would have been almost $500 for a printer that cost $600 two years ago. He was seriously considering repairing it.

As long as I am refurbishing what will be my computer and reselling it to him?
I would not play games like that if I were a refurshiber.

Yes to an extent, But people are always looking for loopholes and grey areas.

I do something wrong by buying from a source that is sell-through?

That ebay seller or you in that matter (now that you are a refurbisher) are NOTallowed to resell those licensees like that.

Mostly because he's ignorant and what I say isn't making any difference. The system is able to run Win7 32 bit. A lot of what some people do doesn't seem to make any sense except to them, so I don't try and argue the point. It's his box and his money.

When he brings this system by for drop-off I am once again going to try and explain the ramifications of loading Win7 to this system. I've had the motherboard out of this machine. The caps all look good. No bulging or evidence of leakage.

I'll end up sticking another 512 ram in this to bring it up to 2GB. I've a few sticks laying around here that will work with his machine. The processor is a Core 2 Duo at 2.0 Ghz. I've ran many a Windows box with these specs. It ain't the fastest, but it beats not being able to use it a all.

Windows 7 x86 is barely passable on 2GB of RAM (2GB is not passable for x64) The problem is that even if you try to make it clear that this is not what you recommend, that still won't stop them from complaining about your service to people they know because they "took their computer to your for an upgrade and now it is slower that it was before". The threshold for what they will complain to others about and what they will call you back about are two different things.

I would refuse to do this upgrade without upgrading the RAM to 4GB, and I would also try my hardest to go for an SSD. Another way to have refused this is to say you can't get Windows 7 in anymore.

4GB of RAM and an SSD, and he might be saying the upgrade was expensive, but there should be no complaints of it running slower than it was before, and he will not be bad mouthing the quality of your service.

Windows 7 x86 is barely passable on 2GB of RAM (2GB is not passable for x64) The problem is that even if you try to make it clear that this is not what you recommend, that still won't stop them from complaining about your service to people they know because they "took their computer to your for an upgrade and now it is slower that it was before". The threshold for what they will complain to others about and what they will call you back about are two different things.

I would refuse to do this upgrade without upgrading the RAM to 4GB, and I would also try my hardest to go for an SSD. Another way to have refused this is to say you can't get Windows 7 in anymore.

4GB of RAM and an SSD, and he might be saying the upgrade was expensive, but there should be no complaints of it running slower than it was before, and he will not be bad mouthing the quality of your service.
Amen brother. 1000 interweb cookies for you.

<snipped>
Since this was not available to me through MS, did I do something wrong by buying from a source that is sell-through? As long as I am refurbishing what will be my computer and reselling it to him?

You have basically broken a rule of being a registered refurber straight off the bat.

These refurb licenses you have just bought, although legal ie you will have the coa. Is illegal or against the refurb rules.

When buying refurb licenses they must be purchased from a distributor. When you sign into your portal you should be able to see a list of licences distys in your location.

You buy them in packs of 3 at a time. Cost as @Porthos mentioned previously is c$90 or so.

This buy and sell for $1 lark, again is illegal,

If you are going to resell the same machine to your clients in a refurbished state, you must have had it in your possession for a minimum of 60 days. Basically you cannot buy a old machine, refurb it yourself, and then sell it back to the client, as a single service /repair.

I have written a couple of stickies on the refurb side of thIngs. Please read, and digest it.

Microsoft, can and do audit their refurb members. So you need to keep extremely good records,
of :-
who you bought a machine off.
When it was bought.
What you did to it.
What you installed.
When it was installed,
The old coa.
The new coa.
Where you purchased your refurb kit from.
Keep proper paper trails of everything.

Think about it, you have only just passed and became a refurber. Do you seriously want to risk not just your membership, but all the additional income you will get because of it?

Just for the sake of what appeared to be a cheap licence?

It isn't worth it. Same as we tell clients, if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

If you want any help at all with the refurb side of your business, start a thread, and tag me.

I've been a refurber now for many years, was one of the first registered refurbishers in the UK, and have had countless arguments with Microsoft over different things, including licences, and coa's. So I do know what I'm talking about here, (not blowing my own trumpet) just helping you, or any other tn tech when it comes to being a refurber.

Also don't forget, that it's YOUR name, and YOUR business at stake, your reputation. If your client doesn't want to do these things the right way, it's up to you to educate them.

Doing things cheap, or cheap enough will bite you in the ass.

The machine your going to refurb. Again as has been mentioned, will run with the spec your thinking of. But it will run like a snail on speed.

Try to get him to at least have a ssd upgrade. And upgrade the ram to least 4gb.

Re the processor, I generally check the processor against the cpu listing. If the total is >1000, I will recommend the ssd route, if it's <1000 then forget it. As although it will run better, it won't run fast enough for my liking.
(I can't remember the link to the cpu list, as currently out, when we get back later, I'll edit this post and link you to it).

I do this with all clients who are looking at upgrading their drives to ssd's. If I'm not happy with the number, I'll refuse the job, and explain my reasoning behind my decision to my client.

Yes I may lose out on £130+ each time. But my honesty goes a lot further with my clients. Just something for you to mull over.

<end war and peace >

I'm going to try and talk him into purchasing one of my old Win 7 machines I have here. Saves him money, keeps me within the rules, and the sale will be more profitable and won't cost him anymore than refurbing his machine.

Everyone's happy now.

And look at http://www.zinstall.com/. They can move most programs over as well as data. A few years ago they offered a 30 day free trial to techs. Did a test move from a Dell XP Pro to Gateway W8 home. Everything went fine except for apps that implement features via drivers. So things like Wireshark did not move over. Office just had to be re-registered.

Re the processor, I generally check the processor against the cpu listing. If the total is >1000, I will recommend the ssd route, if it's <1000 then forget it. As although it will run better, it won't run fast enough for my liking.
(I can't remember the link to the cpu list, as currently out, when we get back later, I'll edit this post and link you to it).
are you referring to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php ?

Back