I was approved today

MichaelEC

Reaction score
After jumping through many hoops I was finally approved today as a registered refurbisher.

I am waiting for my first client to call me back with how he wants to proceed with his ancient XP system.

The only reason i keep mentioning it is there are many "Refurbishers" who use those keys to upgrade clients computers and also sell those disks/keys on ebay as well. Both are against the terms.

+1 for @Porthos post.

It's not exactly hard to do the right thing for both you and your clients.

Though with an XP era machine, I personally wouldn't refurb it to Windows 7/10. As the hardware alone is years old. Not worth the hassle of upgrading it to a decent enough spec imo.

Congrats! :)

@MichaelEC Remember you can not use the refurbishers program on HIS XP systems.

Just to add to this ...

You can of course sell him an already refurbished machine and, if his machine is worth refurbishing, you could offer a small part exchange discount for it. You can then refurbish his old machine and sell it to another customer, potentially making more profit than you might have made if refurbishing and returning his machine was an option.

The client has been advised of his options. I've worked on this machine before and explained the cost/performance trade-off. I hate to see this kid keep sinking money into this machine. He has already spent more than twice what the machine is worth just getting it running again on its last visit here.

It's not that I don't want his money, but in good conscience I really shouldn't upgrade this machine at all.

I heard from him a bit ago. He insists on a Win 7 upgrade. Who am I to argue? Pays the DiSH bill.
Careful where you get that retail copy from. Also you CAN NOT directly upgrade from XP. ONLY clean install and reinstalling programs.
I said retail because that is the only one you can legally use.

Yep, I ordered a full retail copy with a brand new key/COA in a sealed package. Not cheap. Glad I'm not paying for it.

"Refurbishers" who use those keys to upgrade clients computers and also sell those disks/keys on ebay as well. Both are against the terms.

What you just purchased is the same as you get as a refurbisher. This install will break the EULA.
Sorry for the bad news.

PS. When these were still available they paid I believe $30 for them.

@MichaelEC What processor is in his computer and how much ram. Have you looked inside the machine for bad caps? Does he have the disks for all his programs? (you will need them)Have you run full diagnostics on the computer?

Why does he want to keep THIS computer?

I would done all of this before I even think of an upgrade.

I am not trying to rag on you. Just educating you and any one who reads this topic.

Yeah, the disc's clearly state "for distribution with refurbished computers" so the seller is violating MS's EULA. At any rate the refurbisher agreement has a very limited description of the "ownership" requirements. To stay compliant with the EULA you can just buy the machine for a $1 and sell it back for a $1.

@MichaelEC What processor is in his computer and how much ram. Have you looked inside the machine for bad caps? Does he have the disks for all his programs? (you will need them)Have you run full diagnostics on the computer?

Why does he want to keep THIS computer?

I would done all of this before I even think of an upgrade.

I am not trying to rag on you. Just educating you and any one who reads this topic.

Mostly because he's ignorant and what I say isn't making any difference. The system is able to run Win7 32 bit. A lot of what some people do doesn't seem to make any sense except to them, so I don't try and argue the point. It's his box and his money.

When he brings this system by for drop-off I am once again going to try and explain the ramifications of loading Win7 to this system. I've had the motherboard out of this machine. The caps all look good. No bulging or evidence of leakage.

I'll end up sticking another 512 ram in this to bring it up to 2GB. I've a few sticks laying around here that will work with his machine. The processor is a Core 2 Duo at 2.0 Ghz. I've ran many a Windows box with these specs. It ain't the fastest, but it beats not being able to use it a all.

We'll do the $1 trade and call it good. I hope I'm done with this machine after this.

Back