I can finally sleep

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
1000's of feet cabling ... it's finally done $20k

1714602998115.png
1714603154177.png

Anyone know why on a Gig I'm only getting 500 down using U6 Pro's ... I've heard changing the 5GHz channel to 80MHz?

Attachments

• 1714602946038.png
    1714602946038.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1714603116688.png
    1714603116688.png
    754.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
WiFi 7 exists already because WiFi 6 is hot garbage. You have to be basically point blank with the WAP with no signal interference at all to get full speed.

Then you find out that most WIFI 6 interfaces don't have the guts to push that speed anyway.

We often have to force WiFi 6 WAPs to fall back to WiFi AC operating modes to stabilize networks due to all sorts of issues, and that reduces bandwidth further. Fortunately, anything beyond 200mbit is just a waste anyway given the way the US is cabled.

WiFi 7 exists already because WiFi 6 is hot garbage. You have to be basically point blank with the WAP with no signal interference at all to get full speed.

Then you find out that most WIFI 6 interfaces don't have the guts to push that speed anyway.

Yeah one of the reasons why we went with 6 is the UB AP's on WiFi7 have audible mechanical fans built into them ... which I see as a failure point. Also untested new tech.

Also no one really has WiFi 7 capable devices yet.

Yeah one of the reasons why we went with 6 is the UB AP's on WiFi7 have audible mechanical fans built into them ... which I see as a failure point. Also untested new tech.

Also no one really has WiFi 7 capable devices yet.
True, but WiFi 7 WAPs can actually hold WiFi 6 devices to their actual capabilities.

But again once you do that, you'll find out... the WiFi 6 endpoints can't actually do WiFi 6 things.

True, but WiFi 7 WAPs can actually hold WiFi 6 devices to their actual capabilities.

But again once you do that, you'll find out... the WiFi 6 endpoints can't actually do WiFi 6 things.

Well the worst speeds we saw before disconnection in the parking lot about 200 ft from the nearest AP was 100 down ... So it should be fine.

Well the worst speeds we saw before disconnection in the parking lot about 200 ft from the nearest AP was 100 down ... So it should be fine.
Oh yes, I don't mean to disparage your work it's well done. I'm just pointing out what you're seeing in terms of performance is normal.

Looks good...and looks familiar, did you have a post about that a year or two ago?

With the 5 radios....widening the channel will tend to get better speeds. However....the wider the channel, the less stable the connection is, and the less penetration/distance it has. Also, if you have multiple APs on a network...the wider the channel, the less non overlapping you have, thus the more overlapping you have. Thus...less performance.

For installs where I have more than say, 6 -ish APs....I will usually drop the 5 radio from default 40 wide down to 20 wide. This depends though...no always...but usually. Because, I prefer to install more APs...closer together, with TX power dialed down. So APs will tend to be have cells of coverage that will be close to each other. Easier to spread out my 5.0 radios when I have just 20 wide channels. Yes...just 20 wide is not as fast as default 40 wide...but it's more stable, usually no overlap, and better distance/penetration.

Great to hear. I always wondered what had happened to that site that you had asked questions about so long ago.

Anyone know why on a Gig I'm only getting 500 down using U6 Pro's ... I've heard changing the 5GHz channel to 80MHz?
Kind of hard to say. Need more details. Like what is the end point? Where are you connecting? Is there any QoS? How/where are you getting the download speed from.

Yep it was that job from over a year ago ... I never thought it was going to get approved so I never really worried about it but they finally did approve it and let me tell you, that really for the anxiety pumping.

I was worried we were getting a little ambitious with the length of Cat6 we were running and we should have ran Fiber but neither I nor my wiring guy is familiar with Fiber but none of the runs exceeded even 300ft so we're totally fine.

Last edited:
Fiber is so plentiful and cheap pre-made in various lengths now, or so many places around that will custom make lengths for you, they'll terminate the ends. Just get your switches with SFP+ ports and the fiber transceivers (which..UI sells)..and boom you're done.

Fiber is so plentiful and cheap pre-made in various lengths now, or so many places around that will custom make lengths for you, they'll terminate the ends. Just get your switches with SFP+ ports and the fiber transceivers (which..UI sells)..and boom you're done.

Yeah I found some pre-terminated fiber on amazon and that was going to be worst case scenario was re-do it with fiber. But all the drops were less then 300 feet and there were switches in between and I still get 1GB wired into the furthest location.

My guy ran UV Protected Gel Filled Outdoor Rated Cat6

Some in conduit, some not ... also used roof penetrating rain protected sleeves and sealed it off with a ton of silicone.

@YeOldeStonecat

Are you able to link me on amazon which fiber and which transceivers on amazon would be appropriate to use the SFP ports on UB equipment?

There's several different kinds of fiber and transceivers that I'm not familiar with if needed in the future.

We stock a bit.....
You have OM4 LC to SC for going from the fiber box to your SFP+ transceiver...or other connections that have the SC type
And LC to LC for the connections say...from a servers fiber NIC...to a switch. Or...switch to switch. (although with Unifi switches we get UI's own 10 gig DAC for those switch links)..and we stock a bunch of UI SFP and SFP+ transceivers

1714683739803.png
1714683809347.png
1714684031612.png
1714684045881.png

We stock a bit.....
You have OM4 LC to SC for going from the fiber box to your SFP+ transceiver...or other connections that have the SC type
And LC to LC for the connections say...from a servers fiber NIC...to a switch. Or...switch to switch. (although with Unifi switches we get UI's own 10 gig DAC for those switch links)..and we stock a bunch of UI SFP and SFP+ transceivers

View attachment 16220
View attachment 16221
View attachment 16222
View attachment 16223
Ok so switch to switch or gateway to switch is LC to LC + UB transciever.

Thanks!

I am simply in awe of the networking pro's here it just bamboozles me with the knowledge that you all have and also the patience you must have. It makes me feel rather meek in my perspective of my own knowledge, though I suppose this is one's speciality and we cannot be masters of everything but our own minds.

I am simply in awe of the networking pro's here

Amen, brother. Never had any formal training, but thanks to the folks here and a LOT of reading & youtube videos, we've been successful in the SMB end of things. Networking is one of those things that never really clicked for me, but sheer repetition and a healthy collection of SOPs I've done over the years gets us through (not to mention standardizing on equipment so things can be done by rote if necessary). We've done a handful of 10GbE setups, a bit of fiber, lots of VLANs, some NIC teaming, etc. Every once in a while I still get an aha moment when doing something (Ohhh - THATs why you do it this way!), but I'll never be an expert. I'm pretty sure I owe @YeOldeStonecat , @NETWizz, @Sky-Knight & others some tuition - haha. TN wouldn't be what it is without folks like that willing to share their knowledge and experience in ELI5-speak when necessary for us neworking plebes.

This industry has an infinite amount of crap to learn. I'm active on forums like this one because teaching others reinforces stuff so I can retain it. I get to learn stuff too, this process is the feedback loop that lets me do what I do.

But goodness I swear the CISSP junk I'm subjecting myself to now is going to kill me. I'd have an easier time reading the US Federal Tax Code I think.

Just in case this helps. I had a specialty CAT6 cable that handles GB up to 1000', however, it's characteristics deteriorated over time since it is run in buried conduit between 2 buildings. I added a POETexas Gigabit Active PoE Extender at about 300 ft and its back in business. It's not fully weatherproof so I stuffed the connections with Duct Seal inside and out. It made it through the latest super rainy season without a blip. Lots of use cases such as adding devices mid-span.

Back