Humor Section!

19420_spell%20check%20majorgeeks.jpg

The English language is one of hardest, if not the hardest, language to learn.
An example "It's time to present her with her present." Same thing with record (record for high temperatures) and record (as in record some music) or (a written record of events.) Confusing?
Tail, tale, which, witch, peace, piece, there, their, they're, etc etc. must be so confusing to non English speakers when learning.
Then there's "American English," British English," Australian English" etc with different spellings for similar words, such as realize and realise, color, colour etc.

My dream was to always have an effective command of the the English language and to be able to use it to its fullest, but sadly I'm still a novice after 65 years.

It's great to see that some "nibblers" are very adept English speakers.

Edit to add:
It's also fascinating to learn where peoples surnames originated. Rogerson, Williamson, Benson, Davidson etc etc are from the time when Britain was occupied by the Romans and due to language barriers people were just named after their fathers, So if you were the son of William you were "Williamson."
Also, names like Black, Brown, Green, White etc were from the colour of your clothing.
Cooper, Wainwright, Smith, Blacksmith, Wheeler, Walker, Peddler etc were from the trade you were in.

Last edited:
An example "It's time to present her with her present." Same thing with record (record for high temperatures) and record (as in record some music) or (a written record of events.) Confusing?
Tail, tale, which, witch, peace, piece, there, their, they're, etc etc. must be so confusing to non English speakers when learning.
Then there's "American English," British English," Australian English" etc with different spellings for similar words, such as realize and realise.

My dream was to always have an effective command of the the English language and to be able to use it to its fullest, but sadly I'm still a novice after 65 years.

It's great to see that some "nibblers" are very adept English speakers.

Homonyms and homographs exist in virtually any language you can name. They're not specific to English.

The same is true of colloquial forms. Ask anyone who speaks French French versus Canadian French or virtually any speaker of Spanish when it comes to all others outside their dialectal communities.

I think Latin based languages are harder.
Spanish, Italian, French (mainly) have a lot of conjugations and very difficult grammar.
And they have accentuated letters! e.g. in French "e" -> é, è, ê and ë :) and we have this "ç" too :)
Not speaking about Greek, Russian or even Japanese...

• Love
Reactions: GTP
Back