HTML and Java script on forums.

Jura

Reaction score
I so miss that, when posters were allowed to use Java script and HTML in posts and sigs. I've been on some and those were good times. Anyone else seen or liked? I'm sure some of you know why those are rare.

Last edited:
HTML and Javascript are a very bad idea on forums. They can be used for annoyance or exploits.

For example, I could embed some table tags into a post and it would break the forum tables that make up the post. Or I could make a scrolling iframe with a picture of the goatse guy in it.

Javascript can be used to steal cookies which you use to login (the forums put a text file (called a cookie) on your computer to know you are logged in, if you dont have the cookie you are not logged in, if you do, you are.
Javascript can read this cookie, send the information elsewhere and a hacker could login under your account.

This is why most forums dont have it switched on and also the reason it wont be switched on here. Im sure though you guys had some fun on the forums that did have it switched on.

Yes, it sucks how people can abuse it. I like messing around with it. I think I remember somehow putting music in my signature. So every thread I had played music. If I had more then one post, it kinda became crazy, since they weren't all in sync.

Back