How To Know Which Version of Windows 8

ToddWelch

Reaction score
Has anyone found a reliable way to determine which version of Windows 8 was installed on a computer if you can not boot into the OS to determine such say the hard drive died?

Read it off the license key stuck to the computer?
This. OEM systems will have a Hologram Product Sticker on it that will say either Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro. Whitebox OEMs will have the traditional Product key sticker.

If for some reason that doesn't answer the question then use Nirsoft Produkey. It will pull the info from the bios (for OEM)or from the registry if it still intact on the unit.

also, sometimes you can find out what os was originally installed on the machine by viewing the C:\Windows\System32\license.rtf which is helpful if the machine has an embedded in UEFI firmware windows 8 key and you have to re-install the exact version it came with

If you can load the registry hives with something like OfflineNTPassword then you can check

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion for the "EditionID" key

Good trick using the license.rtf file, thanks myleso

Last edited:
If the scenario of the OP were to be true, it is very difficult to read registry keys and other files from a dead hard drive.
Just because it isn't bootable doesn't mean that the registry is missing. Doesn't mean it isn't missing either of course.

Just because it isn't bootable doesn't mean that the registry is missing. Doesn't mean it isn't missing either of course.
But, he ends with, "hard drive died," which suggests to me that it is more than not bootable. That isn't to say that registry methods won't work for other cases.

I always keep a spare drive and have a windows 8 image to stick on it if I have any doubts. For me it is a 10 minute job.
For me, I plug in a Zalman drive and just scroll through each ISO until setup works lol. Same difference and very handy.

Thanks all for the good replies. Most manufactured computers with Windows 8 do not come with a license but only a sticker that says Windows 8 on it, the problem I run into is a Windows 8 license will not work to activate a Windows 8.1 image and vice versa so I was looking for a reliable way to tell especially when you can not access the old load due to a failed hard drive or other reason. Right now I just have to guess and hope after the image is loaded that I can activate it and if not then load the other version of the OS.

Install with the published generic key, then activate it with the key in the uefi.
Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Back