How do you do promotions?

ipodman

Reaction score
Hi,

For your business how do you promote it?

For me I have used leaflets which worked quit well and was quit economical to do as well.

Also I have tried banner’s which worked to an existent but some of my banner where vandalised and also it gave quit a bad impression I thought.

Then the last one was the internet, This worked quit well again but people from other countries where just sending e-mail for help and wanting me to come to Africa to fix a computer? When I am UK based.

I have found that the best way is to get yourself listed in the local directory and also give to leaflets out to people around the town.

Ipodman

I tried using letter box drops however I got zero response with them. Apparently they say you are lucky to get 2% of a response from untargeted letter box drops. However, a friend of mine who does PC repair got pretty much all his work in the beginning from letter box drops.

He timed his letter box drops to be just after the regular mail was dropped off so that it didnt get mixed in with the regular junk mail and thrown out with it. That way people find it by itself and at least glance at it to see what its all about. He said he dropped in about 50 or so and got 6 full time clients.

I believe due to the type of houses in London where the letterbox is a slot in the front door this worked well, but in Australia in the suburbs (where I live) our letterboxes are in our front yard and the advertisement would be left there till next mail day so it woulnt be as effective.

With internet advertising, Google Adwords would probably be the way to go (I havent used it though) as you can limit it to your state and even postcode.

i think if you are saying online advertising,you can try forums and adsense but if you are saying offline advertsting,you can post your ads on bulletein boards or can go for expensive billboards..good luck!

Yep, I did. :) Standard maildrop response rates are indeed one or two responses per 100 mailings for unsolicited stuff like that. In fact I posted about 600-700 (which my then-flatmate photocopied for me at work before he quit!) and got about 6 responses. That was about five years ago, and haven't advertised since - all referrals!

As Bryce again very correctly pointed out, it must surely depend on the area and mailboxes in which you're 'dropping' :) but the success since has been a combination of good rates and getting the job done, basically...

Funny story: was putting the leaflets in mailboxes and accidentally stepped in a pile of s*** on the pavement. Said something like, "Oh, S**T!" then slipped and fell over, again exclaiming "S**T!" and on the way down, dropped a bunch of leaflets in the s*** and again shouted "SH****T!" Hence 600-700 above... ;)

Back