Help with getting started as a technician/starting up a repair business.

cbsnyder87

Reaction score
I'm currently working on getting my A+ Cert on my own. I look to continuing my education with a Bachelors in IT. However, I'm seriously interested in starting my own computer repair/building/networking business. The only experience I have is doing repairs/fixes for family and friends and building my own computers (which I enjoy very much).

Any help, suggestions, or advice for me that will help me accomplish my goals or wade through the massive amount of information out there would be much appreciated!

The areas I need the help the most in are:

1) What's a good way to get experience repairing computers without working for anyone? (I already have a full-time job and cannot afford to quit at this time)
2) I hear "breaking" your own computer and fixing it is a good way to get experience, but how would I go about doing this since I know what I did to break it? Doesn't leave much for troubleshooting.... And how do I know what to "break" that matches real world problems?
3) What are the most common repairs/problems customers call a technician for?
4) What are the basic repairs I need to know before starting my own business venture without being dumfounded at my first call?
5) Any reliable, free computer tech resources out there (besides Technibble)?

I've already built my own home computers and a gaming computer. I've also upgraded computers for family and fixed problems with their computers (things like malware, memory problems, and "slow" computers...the basics). But I want to get deeper. I want to get into registry errors, BSOD fixes, motherboard problems, and the real nitty-gritty of being computer tech so I don't run my own business into the ground because of my lack of knowledge.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

1st bit of advice I can offer is to not post the same exact post in two different sections of the forums.

2nd Do what @NYJimbo suggested back in the other post and do some reading here on Technibble. Everything you are asking can be found on here.

1st bit of advice I can offer is to not post the same exact post in two different sections of the forums.

2nd Do what @NYJimbo suggested back in the other post and do some reading here on Technibble. Everything you are asking can be found on here.

I didn't know that my post in the "Introduction" would get seen by everyone, so I wanted to ensure it was seen by as many as possible. I figured it would only be seen by those who took the time to go to the Introduction Forum.

You will find that a lot of members at least skim through "New Posts" (that's how I normally operate). As such, Introductions are generally seen by many.

Welcome to the forums - and as has been said, spend a LOT of time reading. It will be well worth it!

1) What's a good way to get experience repairing computers without working for anyone? (I already have a full-time job and cannot afford to quit at this time)
2) I hear "breaking" your own computer and fixing it is a good way to get experience, but how would I go about doing this since I know what I did to break it? Doesn't leave much for troubleshooting.... And how do I know what to "break" that matches real world problems?
3) What are the most common repairs/problems customers call a technician for?
4) What are the basic repairs I need to know before starting my own business venture without being dumfounded at my first call?
5) Any reliable, free computer tech resources out there (besides Technibble)?

I've already built my own home computers and a gaming computer. I've also upgraded computers for family and fixed problems with their computers (things like malware, memory problems, and "slow" computers...the basics). But I want to get deeper. I want to get into registry errors, BSOD fixes, motherboard problems, and the real nitty-gritty of being computer tech so I don't run my own business into the ground because of my lack of knowledge.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

As already mentioned, these answers are in the forums, however, I can give you the short answer.

1. The way I started was by purchasing broken computers, fixing them (which required learning how to diagnosis and fix the issues) and then turning around and selling them for a profit. This is how I started my business.

2. Refer to answer number 1

3. What you do will depend on the market and demographic as well as your pricing for each service. What you will get calls for is another thing entirely.

What you will get calls for, in this order (based on our experience):

Virus Removals (because everyone thinks that everything is a virus), screen replacements, power jack replacements, Reinstalls, Tune-ups

What you will actually do, in this order (again, based on experience):

HDD Replacements (if you actually run a diagnostic), Screen replacements, Virus Removals, Troubleshooting, Reinstalls, Tune-ups (which we do with just about every virus removal and after almost every hardware repair), reinstalls and power jack replacements.

If you do cell phone repair, then you will probably do more iPhone repairs than anything else. More specifically, iPhone screen replacements. As for onsite, I can't speak for that. We run 2 shops, so I can only speak from my experience.

4. Basically, the services listed above. More specifically, you will want to know how to perform a basic diagnostic, what each part does, how it fails, what causes it to fail and how it affects software. This is important because you will need to be able to explain this information to the customer. You will need to know what viruses are currently cruising the web, how customers get infected and how you can prevent them. Obviously you will need to know how to do screen replacements, but you will also need to know the difference between a motherboard issue, a cable issue, and GPU issue and a screen issue. If you don't know the differences, you can easily misdiagnosis the problem and either A, misquote the repairs and sometimes by a lot and or B, spend a lot of time troubleshooting. The same goes for power jack replacements. You will need to know how to test them and determine if the issue is the charger, the motherboard or the power jack or daughterboard that the power jack is soldered to. When it comes to troubleshooting and other software issues, you really need to know the difference between an issue that is purely software related vs a software issue that can potentially be caused by a hardware problem. Finally on this note, you will need to learn how to convince the customer that you can fix anything, even if you have never done the repairs before and do it without making yourself look incompetent. It is actually a lot easier than most people think. Here are some examples.

Customer comes / calls in with software issues:
You explain that it could be the hard drive, memory, viruses or some other software issues that could have been caused by a bad update or bad install of some sort and that you will be able to determine exactly what the problem is after doing a diagnostic.

Customer comes / calls in with display issues:
You explain to the customer that it could be a screen, the cable, the GPU or the motherboard and that you will be able to determine exactly which after taking the computer apart and doing the diagnostic.

Customer comes / calls in with power issues:
You explain that it could be an issue with the power jack, the motherboard, the power switch or some other daughter board that is possibly causing a short, but that you wont know until you take it apart and do a diagnostic.

Basically, you answer will be the same every time. The only difference is that with time, you will be able to more specifically narrow down the possible issues when you first see it and give the customer more specific ball part as to what it might cost. Either way, the answer is still the same, "you wont know until you have run a diagnostic."

5. For now, Google is still free

Ok, not all those answers were as short as I expected, but trust me, I still have not even scratched the surface.

Good luck.

Last edited:
To be honest as well, A+ is great, but doing residential work nobody even really asks. People that do i tell them i have a 4 year degree but learned most of my stuff by fixing things and that is good enough for majority of people who ask.

Google is a great free way to learn.

To be honest as well, A+ is great, but doing residential work nobody even really asks. People that do i tell them i have a 4 year degree but learned most of my stuff by fixing things and that is good enough for majority of people who ask.

Google is a great free way to learn.
Man, that helps a lot! Exactly what I was looking for. A generalized answer that gets me pointed in the right direction that I can skim the forums for.

I should have mentioned, I was an electronics technician for 5 years in the Marine Corps. So understanding how software interacts with hardware is a natural thing to me by now. And I also have all the necessary troubleshooting skills.

Where I lack with PCs and personal electronics is how to apply those skills in the right way to service a customer quickly and efficiently. I can troubleshoot any computer problem and fix it...with enough time. I want to be skilled enough to know right off the top of my head "Oh, IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL? Command Prompt, type this, go here, change this, do that. Done." It seems inefficient, and unprofessional, to show up to a customer and bust open Google and search for a fix or take the computer home for 3 days until I fix a problem.

Those are the skills I want to improve on and just wasn't sure how to go about it.

The idea of buying broken computers is GREAT. Where would I go about finding sources for these broken computers? eBay?

Honestly if that is your attitude you might be disappointed. You should want to know what you can, but ever so often i still get machines in that leave me scratching my head. Typically if I'm on a call and it is taking more than an hour and things aren't progressing then it's time to think about taking it back.

Honestly if that is your attitude you might be disappointed. You should want to know what you can, but ever so often i still get machines in that leave me scratching my head. Typically if I'm on a call and it is taking more than an hour and things aren't progressing then it's time to think about taking it back.
I'm not understanding. I'm definitely missing something somewhere.

If a tech charges 90/hr and takes a PC home to troubleshoot for 4 or 5 plus hours then the labor costs would be so great it would be better for the customer to just buy a brand new computer.

Do most techs charge by the job? Or charge a flat rate for troubleshooting? I guess I am thinking of things in a car repair mind set where they charge everything by labor.

I do a hybrid. I charge 40 to go on site, or if it's a drop off, I charge 40 to diagnose. I charge 75 per hour.

However if it's a drop off, then it's flat rate. So for example, I charge 135 for cleanup and removing viruses. They pay the 40 as a down payment essentially, and owe the additional 95 when they pick up. It seems like people are more apt to pick up their machine if they have a little invested in it. If I'm somewhere for example and I keep having trouble, then many times I'll bill for the time on site and if I'm taking a machine with me charge like an additional 40.

I like the flat rate because then people know typically what they are looking for up front.

If a tech charges 90/hr and takes a PC home to troubleshoot for 4 or 5 plus hours then the labor costs would be so great it would be better for the customer to just buy a brand new computer.

The way I approach it, is that the client shouldn't have to pay directly for my training. I'll give a (rough) estimate and a maximum cost, with a rider that if I find something that makes it more expensive (e.g., parts), I'll get their agreement before going any further.

If it takes a few hours, I've learned something that may help next time, so I eat the extra cost. I always tell the client that it took me a long time, but that I'll honour the original price. On the other hand, if it turns out to be something simple (often the case when the client isn't looking over my shoulder), then I'll charge less than the estimate and they think I'm wonderful. That's how to build reputation.

I do a hybrid. I charge 40 to go on site, or if it's a drop off, I charge 40 to diagnose. I charge 75 per hour.

However if it's a drop off, then it's flat rate. So for example, I charge 135 for cleanup and removing viruses. They pay the 40 as a down payment essentially, and owe the additional 95 when they pick up. It seems like people are more apt to pick up their machine if they have a little invested in it. If I'm somewhere for example and I keep having trouble, then many times I'll bill for the time on site and if I'm taking a machine with me charge like an additional 40.

I like the flat rate because then people know typically what they are looking for up front.

Same here. On site is hourly and In Shop is more than always a flat rate. Just to add to what the previous poster said. You will come across issues that you just haven't seen before and spend some time on it, but in the end will learn something new. I really enjoy computer repair because you are always learning new things.

Answering your initial questions, I will just be brief in this. Stick around these forums and you will learn alot. I have been active for over 2 years now and I was lurking in the forums for a couple months before that. Before I joined I must have read almost every article written about business tips and such that Bryce had written years ago. This place is full of stuff, just be that "sponge" and absorb the information. You will love it.

Before you even spend a dime on running a business, do your homework.

Are you planning to open a shop? Look at the demographics. How much are people willing to spend? How many people are in your city/area?

Business name, business phone, business address.

Make sure to get insurance. Purchase the technibble computer repair business kit which has all the forms to start a business.

You need tools, antistatic wrist, computer parts and accessories (hard drives, video cards, memory)

You also need Windows 7, 8 software discs for reinstalls.

The way I approach it, is that the client shouldn't have to pay directly for my training. I'll give a (rough) estimate and a maximum cost, with a rider that if I find something that makes it more expensive (e.g., parts), I'll get their agreement before going any further.

If it takes a few hours, I've learned something that may help next time, so I eat the extra cost. I always tell the client that it took me a long time, but that I'll honour the original price. On the other hand, if it turns out to be something simple (often the case when the client isn't looking over my shoulder), then I'll charge less than the estimate and they think I'm wonderful. That's how to build reputation.
Same here. On site is hourly and In Shop is more than always a flat rate. Just to add to what the previous poster said. You will come across issues that you just haven't seen before and spend some time on it, but in the end will learn something new. I really enjoy computer repair because you are always learning new things.

Answering your initial questions, I will just be brief in this. Stick around these forums and you will learn alot. I have been active for over 2 years now and I was lurking in the forums for a couple months before that. Before I joined I must have read almost every article written about business tips and such that Bryce had written years ago. This place is full of stuff, just be that "sponge" and absorb the information. You will love it.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice on this subject. It helps me understand how to approach this from my situation.

I will be running the business out of my home to begin with because I can't quit my day job. So I will be scheduling appts/pickups/dropoffs in the afternoons/evenings and look to start mostly with residential and move into business as I gain experience and get the kinks worked out of the business side of things.

Before you even spend a dime on running a business, do your homework.

Are you planning to open a shop? Look at the demographics. How much are people willing to spend? How many people are in your city/area?

Business name, business phone, business address.

Make sure to get insurance. Purchase the technibble computer repair business kit which has all the forms to start a business.

You need tools, antistatic wrist, computer parts and accessories (hard drives, video cards, memory)

You also need Windows 7, 8 software discs for reinstalls.

What "insurance" do you recommend for a business like this?

The Windows thing is something that confuses me to no end regarding the EULA. Why in the world would I need to install a brand new copy of Windows to do a "reinstall" when it's already on the HDD? Can't I just contact MS and tell them, "Hey, the HDD failed. It has Windows [build] and I need to reinstall it. However, there is no backup disk and it's too late to create one since the HDD is toast. Can you provide me another copy at no cost?"

I could really use clarification on Windows EULA because I have searched that up and down in this forum, and others, and find no information that is based strictly on MS. I've read the EULA word-for-word and find it doesn't clearly outline specific scenarios such as:

- If I buy a broke computer, replace a motherboard, and need to wipe the HDD/SSD of the previous owner's data, can I create a recovery disk from the already installed OS and simply reinstall it? Or does this violate MS EULA in some way since the computer has been passed on to a new owner and there is a new motherboard?

- Same scenario as above (I buy a broke computer) except the HDD is trashed and unusable and no restore/repair disc exists for that computer. Can I contact MS and tell them I'm installing a new HDD and need a license key? Do I have to pay for another install even though it's already on the HDD? The software is there but not usable, so why can't I just get another copy for free? If that's how it works then I can't believe MS is still in business running shady customer service like that and charging multiple times for the exact same computer just because of bad HDDs....

- Say the computer is a customer's instead of one I purchased as salvage and the HDD is trashed. Do I have to charge them for both a new HDD and a new copy of MS Windows?? They have already paid for the use of the software once, so why should they be charged again?

In short...I am completely lost at how to handle Windows installations/reinstallations LEGALLY and by their EULA.

- I also hear that Windows locks itself to the motherboard MAC address. How do you upgrade a motherboard without buying a new copy of Windows? How do you replace a bad motherboard with an identical one since the MAC will be different without buying a new copy of Windows? Do you just have to create a backup disk and backup the data and reinstall everything in these scenarios?

What "insurance" do you recommend for a business like this?

The Windows thing is something that confuses me to no end regarding the EULA. Why in the world would I need to install a brand new copy of Windows to do a "reinstall" when it's already on the HDD? Can't I just contact MS and tell them, "Hey, the HDD failed. It has Windows [build] and I need to reinstall it. However, there is no backup disk and it's too late to create one since the HDD is toast. Can you provide me another copy at no cost?"

Every laptop has a sticker located on the bottom near the battery. The sticker contains the product key to activate Windows.

I could really use clarification on Windows EULA because I have searched that up and down in this forum, and others, and find no information that is based strictly on MS. I've read the EULA word-for-word and find it doesn't clearly outline specific scenarios such as:

- If I buy a broke computer, replace a motherboard, and need to wipe the HDD/SSD of the previous owner's data, can I create a recovery disk from the already installed OS and simply reinstall it? Or does this violate MS EULA in some way since the computer has been passed on to a new owner and there is a new motherboard?

- Same scenario as above (I buy a broke computer) except the HDD is trashed and unusable and no restore/repair disc exists for that computer. Can I contact MS and tell them I'm installing a new HDD and need a license key? Do I have to pay for another install even though it's already on the HDD? The software is there but not usable, so why can't I just get another copy for free? If that's how it works then I can't believe MS is still in business running shady customer service like that and charging multiple times for the exact same computer just because of bad HDDs....

- Say the computer is a customer's instead of one I purchased as salvage and the HDD is trashed. Do I have to charge them for both a new HDD and a new copy of MS Windows?? They have already paid for the use of the software once, so why should they be charged again?

In short...I am completely lost at how to handle Windows installations/reinstallations LEGALLY and by their EULA.

First, buy some genuine windows 7 discs from amazon. 32bit and 64bit.

you can use those to do reinstalls. you also need to make sure the laptops have the product key underneath.

You can also contact hp, acer, sony, asus and give the laptops serial number to a representative and order a recovery disk. much cheaper than purchasing a full license from microsoft.

- I also hear that Windows locks itself to the motherboard MAC address. How do you upgrade a motherboard without buying a new copy of Windows? How do you replace a bad motherboard with an identical one since the MAC will be different without buying a new copy of Windows? Do you just have to create a backup disk and backup the data and reinstall everything in these scenarios?

When a motherboard is defective in a laptop or desktop, you need to purchase the identical motherboard. Check the model number, revision, part numbers, etc. Make sure they are all the same. Then you should be able to activate it without problems.

1. figure out if you want to support business / residential customers
2. Always answer your phone / email (We've stolen customers by that fact alone).
3. If you don't have a store try posting on Kijiji / Craigslist with your email AND YOUR PHONE number.
4. Network in person / rotary / Chamber of Commerce
5. find local twitter hashtags (from the local paper, mayors page, etc) tweet them specific things about your city / town.

thats all I've got right =D

Every laptop has a sticker located on the bottom near the battery. The sticker contains the product key to activate Windows.

First, buy some genuine windows 7 discs from amazon. 32bit and 64bit.

you can use those to do reinstalls. you also need to make sure the laptops have the product key underneath.

So maybe I've been misunderstanding how Windows installs and verifies the product key. So I can use a single Windows 7 disc to install on a 1,000 different computers as long as I have the original product key affixed to the laptop/desktop? Am I understanding this correctly? I don't actually have to pay for a new disc each and every time I do an install? I was under the impression that the product key was tied directly to the disc and that's the only product key that it will work with. But after some research I found that the disc is preloaded with ALL product keys and you just have to type the one that is associated to the computer when it was activated. Am I correct so far? (Thanks for your help on this!)

You can also contact hp, acer, sony, asus and give the laptops serial number to a representative and order a recovery disk. much cheaper than purchasing a full license from microsoft.

If I go this route then the recovery disk will be serial number specific? Or will it be model number specific so I can use it over and over again with the product key on the COA?

When a motherboard is defective in a laptop or desktop, you need to purchase the identical motherboard. Check the model number, revision, part numbers, etc. Make sure they are all the same. Then you should be able to activate it without problems.

Again, this would be using any Windows installation CD, even it's been used 1,000 times for other computers as long as I have the original license key affixed to the computer?

Thanks again!

Except that ..

Look windows licencing is pretty complicated. No, according to the actual licencing you'd need to use an OEM CD from that manufacturer for that computer. According to the Windows licencing you're actually supposed to contact the OEM and request a new disk.

Back