HELP... Server 2012R2 Hyper V..

Reaction score
I am running a Server 2012R2 on HyperV hosted on a Dell Server box. When the system reboots (it just started behaving this way) the Hyper V begins running (at least the manager says it is) but no services are running, Remote desktop, DNS, etc... I had opened a Microsoft ticket a few weeks back and they addressed it but selecting "Reset" from the Hyper-V console. The VM started performing and update and after a few minutes I could log on, whew I thought but this happened just yesterday same thing when it reboots I needed to select reset to I guess kick start it?

Anyone have any ideas what this problem maybe?

Thanks so much.

Are you saying the underlying hardware layer randomly reboots? Need to get that sorted out ASAP. In the VXWare ESXi world you have to shutdown all VM's and then put it in maintenance mode before manually rebooting. That properly preserves the machine state(s). Years ago when I first started with this I didn't have the VMWare box on an UPS. Consequently sudden power losses caused the VM's to terminate ungracefully. Which in turns sometimes caused problems with the VM's. The reset function exists was well in VMWare and clears the caches which contain the machine's last known state(s).

Are you saying the underlying hardware layer randomly reboots? Need to get that sorted out ASAP. In the VXWare ESXi world you have to shutdown all VM's and then put it in maintenance mode before manually rebooting. That properly preserves the machine state(s). Years ago when I first started with this I didn't have the VMWare box on an UPS. Consequently sudden power losses caused the VM's to terminate ungracefully. Which in turns sometimes caused problems with the VM's. The reset function exists was well in VMWare and clears the caches which contain the machine's last known state(s).

No it doesn't randomly reboot, I brought it down gracefully for maintanance. So I think you are saying if the system state was saved incorrectly this will continue to be a problem?

No it doesn't randomly reboot, I brought it down gracefully for maintanance. So I think you are saying if the system state was saved incorrectly this will continue to be a problem?
Corrupted saved states can cause problems, rare though, especially for MS OS's. Since you're doing it gracefully I'd make sure BIOS has all the updates. And does this have a real RAID card w/ battery?

Not sure if you've seen this. Get a call from a customer. Power on a laptop that they haven't used in a while. Get lights and nothing else, sometimes BSD. When someone doesn't shutdown a laptop, just close the lid (put in standby) and put it away, the saved state gets corrupted because the battery drains to zero, no cmos battery. Best thing to do is pop the back, unplug the battery for 5-10 minutes.

Some VMs won't save their states consistently. And honestly, in as much as it's possible I prefer to configure my VMs to shutdown instead of save their states when the host reboots. It's vastly more consistent, though it does take longer.

I'm assuming when you say "The Hyper V begins running" you mean "The VM begins running". Just because it's easy, I would try creating a new VM and attaching that same disk to it just to see if you get any further.

Do you have any backups? You could also make a new VM from scratch, then mount the problem disk as a non-OS drive to see if you can copy the data from it.

I'm assuming when you say "The Hyper V begins running" you mean "The VM begins running". Just because it's easy, I would try creating a new VM and attaching that same disk to it just to see if you get any further.

Do you have any backups? You could also make a new VM from scratch, then mount the problem disk as a non-OS drive to see if you can copy the data from it.
In the Hyper-V manager it shows the hyper-v server and says it's running.

Back