Having serious client communication issues...

Ticketing System! Then stick to it. Get an email address like ITSupport@TCG.com that then talks to your ticketing system..

This!
Training the clients "can be done!" Years ago my colleague and I got tired of our phones constantly interrupting us and our onsite work. And emails "just to me" or "just to him" from clients...when we're busy and the other one could handle it.

One of the things we put in our email signature was how to get help.
And our outgoing message on the cell phones is how to get help.
For a while, with our invoices, we had a letter introducing our new helpdesk system when we got it.

It was a gradual process..but over time, our cell phones are fairly quiet now. Yeah..a small percentage of clients still try the old direct way..and you do things like mention over the phone "OK I'm up on a ladder right now and I'll forget about this in 5 minutes..can you just send in an e-mail to "helpdesk@mycompany dot net" and this way I wont forget it..and one of us will get to ya soon!

I realize being a 1x man show is different from a small company. And at first when my colleague and I first got our gig going...we were the same way..felt we HAD to take our clients calls directly, that our clients HAD to talk to us else we'd lose them. But that's not true..and trying to adhere to that will start to bury you as you get busier and busier. if I still had all my clients calling me directly I'd never...ever..be able to put the phone down and work.

To make a ticketing system ...or if you don't want to do that..a voice mail system work...to make clients get comfortable with it, you need to get back to them within a reasonable SLA. Once they know you'll respond to an email or voice mail..they'll start using the system.

Reactions: CLC
And this! GV makes it so easy to do. I used to have telemarketers calling my work phone but a few rounds of blocking and they have disappeared.

I have over 500 numbers blocked on our phone system. We still get multiple robo and telemarketer calls a day. Blocking doesn't do much since they switch up the numbers seemingly every day.

I like to screw with them a bit before I block them! Just for giggles....
LOL I do that sometimes too if I have a little time. You wouldn't believe how mad those tech support scammers can get if you mess with them for 10 minutes or so, making them think they're dealing with a real techno-imbecile.

Regarding spam, the VOIP provider (Callcentric) for my business phone does pretty well at blocking most spam calls, and on my cell phone I use an app ("Hiya"... it used to have a less dorky name...) that gets most of the spam.

Reactions: GTP
I use an app ("Hiya"... it used to have a less dorky name...) that gets most of the spam.
That's funny I was just writing this. I use the same app. it's great and you can block by Area code. Since I don't deal with anything in the US and 99% of those damn calls are spoofed US numbers, I have most of the Eastern states blocked by area code lol.

That's why I used Google Voice.

This this this this

...I hate texting!

I'm the opposite...I love it, totally saves my life in Google Voice, because I'm all over the place. I absolutely HATE voicemail and phone calls. It's usually 90% unnecessary filler. Texting allows me to put out stupid, little fires faster before they become widfires...and I personally couldn't really use a scheduler because of my health problems and sleep schedule, which can be all over the place.

Have a look at intercom.io
Wont handle your sms issues yet I dont think. But will handle facebook, twitter, email and website support all in one place. Im sure you could even setup a cell number with someone like Clicksend, use zapier to send an email to your intercom inbox and then send a reply too.

You clearly have set a trend with your client base that you're now realizing you can't or don't want to support. I get it, I really do. I offer up my personal cell as well, but I retain a small list of clients so it is very manageable on my end.

NEVER give residential clients your immediate contact info. Provide them with your helpdesk email address that goes straight to your ticketing system.
ALWAYS provide your best business clients with your immediate contact info. Don't give it to all their employees. Give it to the Decision Maker/CEO/President, etc.

Set Expectations
You have to set the tone, prior to that first service call/remote session.
Bryce has great kits available to help you do this. If you haven't bought them and put them to use yet, you should consider it.
I only mention this because it will help you establish the trend you want to support going forward. Print out the engagement forms and give them to your clients. Get them signed. Take them seriously. Don't provide service until you have them signed...zero exceptions.

Be 100% honest with your clients. IF your swamped, and the constant interrupts are delaying your ability to service them, they deserve to know. They will respect you more for your honesty, and trust you because of this. You want their trust. You seriously don't want them as a client if they cannot extend you this simple request.

You need to let them ALL know that you will be changing how you take in service requests. I suggest you tackle this task over the course of a month. Actually, drive to your biggest business clients and meet with them to have a brief chat, and see if there is anything you can help with while there. Call everyone else personally and inform them of why you're making the change. Send out a weekly email reminder to the businesses. Be respectful while you're educating them about why you're doing this, and in the end, you need to comply with how they want to do business with you if you want to retain them as a client.

Always Answer Your Phone Live
If you're not doing this, your losing potential revenue. Period.

You should be picking up your phone by the 3rd ring, preferably the 1st ring.

People don't like leaving a voicemail when they need Tech Support. They are just as likely to call a competitor (which in some cases may work out better for you!). You're going to kick yourself in the butt though when you find out that you missed a call one day that could have been a whale of an opportunity for you. So change your habits now. Get an earbud, leave it in when you need hands-free. Get a decent data package and stay on WiFi so you can access your ticketing system remotely.
DO NOT BILL CLIENTS FOR TIME YOU SPEND ON YOUR PHONE.

Time Management
You should after 3.5 years of doing this know how much time is being wasted performing our daily tasks. Identify where the issues are, and find a way to overcome them.

- Get a cheap calling service to act as your receptionist.
- Focus ALL of your efforts on supporting the clients that are paying your bills every month, and plan to work towards reducing your involvement with everyone else. Have you heard of the 80-20 rule?
- Automate your processes. Computer repair is insanely easy to automate. Use a free tool, buy a tool, etc. Use an RMM. Kabuto is a good start.

If you don't have time to make phone calls and market yourself to new businesses EVERY DAY, then you will become stagnant fast. Make time for marketing as a #1 priority.

Good Luck!

I think all new startups make this mistake, I know we did. We simply get too causal with our clients in the beginning and like most of you said...it's time to train the customers. So..., set up your system, either the email service order or a ticketing system. We use both. Send out a memo about your system changes for service calls and then reinforce, reinforce reinforce. It will take about a month before they finally get it and yes, some will take longer. The fact this is happening simply states that you are building your business and you're in high demand....AKA growing pains and it's not a bad problem to be having right now.

In my small business we have a scheduler/receptionist who makes contact with the clients and sets up the appointments and coordinates work with the techs. It took about six months to get clients and the techs, to stop calling and texting each other. It does help if you actually have someone for the client to talk too as just leaving a messages or sending emails leaves them feel they are being ignored or their message got lost and of course the hardest one to train is the tech, they have to stop responding to the messages and redirect it back to the scheduler.

Hope I was helpful.

Ticketing System! Then stick to it. Get an email address like ITSupport@TCG.com that then talks to your ticketing system. It will give you an easy way to keep track of tickets, see what customers are eating up the most time, give you a non personal way to communicate back so they don't feel like you're just their pal they can big all the time about minor tech gripes..

Do it, and stick to your guns. Your clients will thank you in the end because you'll be able to be more responsive.

IMO - first mistake that you made is giving your clients your cell phone number. I have a main business number which is backed by an IVR and intelligent call routing just like an ICM. The client can leave a message in any of the VM's I setup. The system will email me the voice recording and I can respond at my leisure. I also have call translations and routing in such a manner that important clients are routed from the main number to my cell however the client has no idea the routing is taking place. This ensures I get calls from "important" clients immediately and the rest can wait until I get a chance to reach out to them. Change your method of operation and you'll get your sanity back.

Back