Hardware Testing with Parted Magic

SilverLeaf

Reaction score
Testing hardware and performing hardware diagnostics is something that we all frequently do. I'm sure everyone has their own procedures and checklists, but I just wanted to share my experience using Parted Magic for this task. This is by no means an exhaustive procedure, but I find that it provides a good foundation for testing and diagnosis, especially for smaller shops, or those operating with limited resources.

I'm sure many of you also use Parted Magic on a regular basis. This has become my tool of choice for many tasks. I find it incredibly well suited for so many things (hardware testing and diagnosis, data recovery, cloning / imaging, disk partitioning,....). When combined with PXE (see this excellent thread for more info), Pmagic becomes even better! Never fear though, if you don't currently have a PXE server, you can always boot from a CD or USB device, its just going to be a little slower to load into memory.

I just wanted to give a quick overview to some of the features included with Pmagic, and how they can be used for hardware diagnostics and testing.

After I check in a computer from a customer, the first thing I do is give it a good cleaning, inside and out, followed by a thorough visual inspection (fan operation, capacitors bulging, cables secure, etc). Next, its on to the bench and Parted Magic.

Boot Pmagic via you preferred method, and you'll be presented with this desktop:

pmagic_zpsaebe7d8b.png

Usually, the first thing I do is plug in a thumb drive and mount it (use the disk icon in the taskbar), so that I can store any reports or screenshots during the process.

Next, I'll generate a list of all of the current hardware (the linux kernel is very good at recognizing most hardware). In the “Start Menu” go to System Tools > LSHW, and refresh the list after it opens. Browse the hardware if you like, then click Save, and save the information to your flash drive as a text file (or alternate format if you prefer). Here's a sample of what you get: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9IE7KXr0pJyQ1V4NE1ZbVkxOTQ/edit
Close application when finished.

Then I start a graphical temperature monitor (System Tools > Psensor) as I will be watching temps during the remaining procedures.

I then fire up GSmartControl (the Disk Health icon on the Desktop) to check the hard disk. After selecting the appropriate drive, I look for red or pink shaded tabs indicating potential issues and perform the standard short and extended self tests.

Next, I test LAN and WiFi functionality. Plug in a network cable and test for functionality with a web browser. Unplug the cable and then click on the Network Icon in the tray at the bottom right of the screen (probably has a red "X" if you unplugged the network cable), and connect to a wireless network.

Then to Multimedia > Test Audio

Finally, it's stress test time. Pmagic includes a program called System Stability Tester (System Tools > System Stability Tester). SST uses various algorithms to calculate pi up to 128 million digits. From the tool's website:
System Stability Tester tries to test the system's stability by calculating up to 128 millions of Pi digits. It supports multiple calculation algorithms. For the moment only two have been implemented. The*Quadratic Convergence of Borwein*and*Gauss-Legendre, the algorithm*SuperPi*uses. The testing process includes the creation of two or more threads. After each step of the calculation, the results of all the threads are compared. Any differences between them are reported. There is also the option for single threaded calculation, but in this case there is no stability check. This is useful for benchmarking purposes only. The calculation of Pi itself is multi threaded since version 0.7.2, for the Borwein algorithm only.*

Generally, I select options that will get the machine “breathing hard” for several minutes. You'll get a feel for this (# of digits, turns, and threads) after a while. I usually select the number of threads to match the number of cpu cores.

Here is where the previously mentioned temp monitor comes in. Temperatures will rise quickly. I keep an eye on them for any obvious problems, but what I'm really interested in is how fast the temps go down after the stress test. This is true especially for laptops, where it might be more difficult to determine how well the cooling system is working.

After a little cool down time, I restart and PXE boot into Memtest86+ to finish up.

Anyway, hopefully someone will find this information helpful, or at least become interested enough to further explore Parted Magic and its many other functions. It's a great tool, and I couldn't do without it.

Note: the included screenshots are from a customers HP Pavilion G7 that just underwent a fan replacement.

Last edited:
for a second there I thought you had said partition magic...nearly lost my drink there.

I will have to check that out I havent tried parted magic. I still stick to prime95 for my stability testing. superpi, linpack, and all those others may find problems faster sometimes but prime95 in my experience is king.

This is a great guide! What I like about this is Clonezilla, and gparted are also in there.

Prime 95 and HDD manufacturer test are on m todo list for the PXE server.

Nice write up of the Parted Magic features.

I regularly use Parted Magic GSmartControl for testing hard disks.

The author works on Parted Magic full time, produces regular updates, and distributes it for free. I recommend having a look at it if you do not currently use it, and if you do find it useful then consider making a donation to help fund its future development.

The author works on Parted Magic full time, produces regular updates, and distributes it for free. I recommend having a look at it if you do not currently use it, and if you do find it useful then consider making a donation to help fund its future development.

I'm really glad you mentioned this. I've been meaning to donate for some time, and keep getting distracted. Taking care of it now.

Thanks for the great writeup!

I'm malware cautious so I use a Flashblu write protect USB stick. Take the write protect off and configure it with YUMI (http://www.technibble.com/yumi-mutliple-operating-systems-single-bootable-usb-drive/):

Add parted magic and Memtest368++ and there are other tools.

After it is configured then write protect it and boot a computer. Major drawback is not saving off files but I find myself using my phone to capture information more and more now.

Thanks for the write up Silverleaf.

I use sd cards instead of write protect flash drives, maybe a tic slower, but can get more gb`s for less money.

Thanks for that. In did not realise it had these capabilities and will revisit it based on this post when I get into work next week

Nice contribution! Thank you!

Learning to love clonezilla. Used it on a girls laptop who was going back to college and is leaving tomorrow. Grabbed a clone of her failing drive with clonezilla, picked up a new drive, dropped the image back on it, tweak things and things were perfect. Also like gsmart for a quick hd test. memtest 86 is also in the extras menu.

Last edited:
I LOVE Kanguru write protected sticks. I use them all day long.

When I did work at DoD a few years ago they were the only officially approved thumbdrive drive for DCAA. But it was short lived as after DoD had a couple of breaches all usb storage devices were banned.

In fact any USB device that was not approved was a serious problem. I know of a couple of contract techs who were put through the grinder when they plugged their BB into their DoD issued laptop to charge it. They were blocked from doing work until their laptop and phones were forensically examined.

Yes, I was also believed you were talking about the Partition Magic as well at the beginning.

The app seems a software diagnosis and needs the PC to be able to show POST screen and boot to the Windows desktop...etc.

Seems nice to me as well, will give a try though.

Cheers,
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

I know the OP posted this back in January, but I have been testing out the most recent version of Parted Magic and it seems that some of the software that the OP referred to is no longer included in the build. For instance, "Network Manager" is no longer on the desktop. I could not find it anywhere. Also, I could not find "Temperature Monitor GUI"? anywhere either. Maybe I'm just missing something? I was hoping to give his diag process a shot but it looks like I'm going to have to find supplemental programs for the things missing in the recent builds.

I know the OP posted this back in January, but I have been testing out the most recent version of Parted Magic and it seems that some of the software that the OP referred to is no longer included in the build. For instance, "Network Manager" is no longer on the desktop. I could not find it anywhere. Also, I could not find "Temperature Monitor GUI"? anywhere either. Maybe I'm just missing something? I was hoping to give his diag process a shot but it looks like I'm going to have to find supplemental programs for the things missing in the recent builds.

I've just fired up the 9th August 2013 version and there's Network Manager on the Networking menu and Graphical Temperature Monitor on the System Tools menu.

Honestly, I've been using the same version of Parted Magic for quite a while now, and hadn't realized it had changed so much. I have since added the newest version to the boot menu on my FOG server, and consequently updated the original post to reflect some of the changes. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

Also of note: In order to access the direct download link from the Parted Magic website, the developer asks for $4.99 (link takes you to PayPal). I would encourage everyone to go this route. See here for more info: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=donations

However, if you want the direct download link (without the $4.99 donation) they are available at sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/?source=directory

Honestly, I've been using the same version of Parted Magic for quite a while now, and hadn't realized it had changed so much. I have since added the newest version to the boot menu on my FOG server, and consequently updated the original post to reflect some of the changes. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

Also of note: In order to access the direct download link from the Parted Magic website, the developer asks for $4.99 (link takes you to PayPal). I would encourage everyone to go this route. See here for more info: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=donations

However, if you want the direct download link (without the $4.99 donation) they are available at sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/?source=directory

I agree......the $4.99 would be well spent!

It's a great product and has regular updates and gets better each version.

The free downloads have been removed from Sourceforge. Both the author of Parted Magic and his wife recently lost their jobs, and he was considering ceasing work on Parted Magic althogether. Instead, he's trying to make enough income of of Parted Magic to keep going. I encourage everyone to throw five bucks his way to keep this extremely useful project alive.

The free downloads have been removed from Sourceforge. Both the author of Parted Magic and his wife recently lost their jobs, and he was considering ceasing work on Parted Magic althogether. Instead, he's trying to make enough income of of Parted Magic to keep going. I encourage everyone to throw five bucks his way to keep this extremely useful project alive.

Thanks for the update. I agree 100%. There is also a donation link as well for anyone wishing to contribute to the project. http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=donations
Parted Magic is my full time job. I need money to pay bills and cover life's other surprises. This project has a huge home and professional IT user following that greeted 1,850,718 unique visitors in 2012. Parted Magic has always been a “do it on my spare time” project and now that I'm working on this full time, you will see a far better product in the near future. So, to make a long story short, I need $300 per week in donations and digital downloads to make this happen. I believe that's a very modest salary based on Wisconsin minimum wage ($7.25) @ 40 hours per week. If you can only spare $1, that's just fine with me, every little bit helps. :)

Sounds like a reasonable request to me.

Also, I noticed that a new version has been released (2013_09_26) with a new GUI for ddrescue and Secure Erase. I'll have to wait until Monday to try it out (bandwidth impaired at home), but it sounds promising......and well worth a donation. :)

Last edited:
Back