Gaming laptop suggestions

nonchalant

Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a long time between drinks but your forum came to mind today after a long hiatus and now my computer repair business is back up and running and in full swing I figured I'd pay a visit & get involved again.

As things turn out I'm also hunting for a new gaming laptop since I took up road cycling and have hooked up an indoor trainer with Zwift. The graphics are meh compared to many high end video games but my current laptop isnt really up to running 2 x cycling sessions on split screen so have decided to get myself a good gaming machine I can hook up to my TV thats up to the task.

I've got a upper limit budget of about $2200 (I figure this should be sufficient to pick up a machine with enough grunt to run this game in 2 instances without any lag).

I've been having a bit of a look around today but since my experience is more with desktops and PCI-E video cards, I'm a getting a bit bamboozled with all the laptop gaming rigs on offer and their very varied prices so figured I'd turn to you guys for suggestions.

I'm settled on the idea of a SSD primary drive for Windows with a secondary HDD. 8GB of ram should be ample. i5 or i7? Eh, if my memory on 'floating points' serves me right an i5 should be more than enough. But what rig should I go for to suit my budget? Anyone here got any good recommendations? I'm am really liking what MSI is doing these days. I think their improvements in quality has really jumped ahead leaps and bounds recently, though I always was a fan. ASUS have disappointed me a bit over the last few years (has their quality control dropped or is it just the quality of their components?) but as a long term reliable player in the field I've not written them off just yet. Gigabyte..uggh..I'm on the fence. Have had bad experiences with many of their mainboards years ago but a couple of high end Gigabyte video cards served me well recently for a couple of years before I had to sell them off. So thats it pretty much as far as my preferences go.

Any suggestions for a good sub-$2200 gaming laptop?

I sell MSI only (GS/GT series) as their build quality seems to be above average. I don't sell sub $3000 though so cant really recommend anything in your price range.

Have a look at the GV series, maybe something there to suit your budget.
Also, ASUS and Acer have units in your price range.

As things turn out I'm also hunting for a new gaming laptop since I took up road cycling and have hooked up an indoor trainer with Zwift.
Never heard of Zwift before, but it looks really cool.

https://zwift.com/

I couldn't tell, but I guess you run their software / connect their system to a Windows PC? Does it really need to be a laptop?

Most gaming laptops right now are offering HDD and SSD together but I can't tell if they are using the old crappy hybrid system where the SSD is just used for caching or if the SSD is C: and the HDD is now D: in these systems.

I'm settled on the idea of a SSD primary drive for Windows with a secondary HDD

Another option is a cheaper configuration with just HDD (perhaps even a refurb), then replace the HDD with an aftermarket 1TB SSD which are very affordable now.
I would just build a mini pc to put in that living room and connect to the tv, i wouldn't buy a gaming laptop unless I had to.
This, unless you need portability which wasn't mentioned in the OP.

Most gaming laptops right now are offering HDD and SSD together but I can't tell if they are using the old crappy hybrid system where the SSD is just used for caching or if the SSD is C: and the HDD is now D: in these systems.
They are separate in the MSI systems I sell ie: 256 GB SSD + 1~2 TB HDD
Although you can now custom order with 250+gb M.2 and spinner or SSD

Gaming laptop..meh. Overpriced and non upgradable to an extent. Best option would be a mini pc as CompTech stated. I use one as my HTPC in lounge about as big as textbook. One can install a decent low profile card as well. I use it to watch movies and play emulated games via RetroArch.

Back