Flash back for the ole timers

Im more than happy with Freetube. Open source, no tracking, no ads, no sponsor breaks, no bs!
Been using it for a year now.
And now that Youtube are blocking videos for anyone using Adblockers; Freetube makes more sense.

Edit to add: I just checked out Piped and read the Devs comments on Reddit. It's a good alternative. One thing though, if you're like me and dump everything when you close your browser, your preferences are not saved.

Last edited:
Brings back memories.....I do remember the TRS computers......
In high school I had an Atari computer, the 400. No...not the gaming console, but Atari made a few personal computers back then too, the 400 and 800.
Saved and loaded my programs from cassette tape. Picture from Google..but I'm pretty sure my computer is still in my moms attic.
s-l1200.jpg

And now that Youtube are blocking videos for anyone using Adblockers; Freetube makes more sense.
I've never had a problem accessing YT videos with uBlock Origin on. However, I've taken to disabling it for many channels (especially on computer repair) because it causes the content provider to lose income, thanks to the Invalid Traffic "bug." Nothing is free and with an ad blocker on, it's the content provider who pays. Sorin explains it all very well on his Electronic Repair School channel.

I notice YouTube sometimes gives me a message when I watch in Brave which has blockers built in and on by default however it hasn't stopped me it just pushes their premium subscription in a popup of sorts.

I've noticed a number of sites now blocking entrance if you have an ad-blocker on, and if they do, they're off my list of sites to use. There have been a number of tech sites I've used for many years (MUO being one) that I've just dropped.

I refuse to be badgered into viewing ads, period, end of sentence. You should be making your money by agreeing to take ad placements, just like "old school" media did and does, but that never guarantees "eyes on."

but your OP led with a header about Piped and how its an alternative to Youtube...
That is where I stumbled across the video. The forum software presented the link like that.
I do not even know where I first came across that video and had never heard of the site before.

Reactions: GTP
A lady listed a Dick Smith System 80 - was a clone of the TRS-80 as a Commodore 64, I had to politly correct her. Was a decent collection as well.

Myself, I am a vintage system collector and have various working systems. I had one of those 800's as a kid, loved River Raid..pew pew.

I've never had a problem accessing YT videos with uBlock Origin on. However, I've taken to disabling it for many channels (especially on computer repair) because it causes the content provider to lose income, thanks to the Invalid Traffic "bug." Nothing is free and with an ad blocker on, it's the content provider who pays. Sorin explains it all very well on his Electronic Repair School channel.

My problems started just within the last week, as YOutube's app starting complaining day after day, and then beginning a few days ago, began essentially threatening to allow no more videos to be be watched if/after 4-5 videos were watched with ad blocker still enabled...(complete with a countdown of how many videos until all were blocked)

This reminds me I really want to put together a console sized system running some emulation but beyond the hardware the setup for all the emulation and then finding safe sources for some of the files is the real hang-up for me to move forward on that. I am not advocating piracy I have a massive library of games on PC and Console and would love to run as much from 1 system on my TV as possible to share with my son as well enjoy myself.

On the YouTube ad subject I don't really mind or care about video advertisements on the begging or end of YouTube content nor do I mind in the middle, though content creators should be able to define where they can happen as randomly being inserted can lead to abrupt and annoying interruptions. The concept of ad breaks isn't new and clearly TV had content with breaks planned in and someone clearly took the effort to find the best breaks when movies aired on TV.

Last edited:
I really like batocera but some emulators(mostly more modern consoles) requires a "BIOS" file in addition which is not provided by most any emulator and needed for maximum compatibility. Then there is the ROMs newer disc based games are easier to do yourself with software for imaging and ripping discs but cartridges are not so simple and sourcing them is risky.

My problems started just within the last week, as YOutube's app starting complaining day after day, and then beginning a few days ago, began essentially threatening to allow no more videos to be be watched if/after 4-5 videos were watched with ad blocker still enabled...(complete with a countdown of how many videos until all were blocked)
Same happened to me too.
I unblocked it but when the ads became unbearable I re-blocked it and haven't received any threats since.
About a week now.

@frase and really anyone else who can answer feel free to message me any reliable sources you have for BIOS and ROM files.

I am curious I personally only put on Plex and I would do the same for this that it would only be things I actually do own but what is others general view when using ROMs for original systems even though you own a compilation version. Example the SNES Super Mario All-Stars if you had ROMs for the NES games instead or just the ROM for the SNES Compilation? I personally view that as a gray but general fine though I understand where it could be viewed and argued as piracy. It just to me at the point your doing emulation it seems to make more sense to just go straight to the original system and emulate the original game vs emulate the compilation game version of the same game where you basically would need to boot into the compilation to select the game.

I sourced my BIOS and ROMS from sources. It is for my own use and I am not profiting anything from it, but fun and relaxation. I do not own a thousand arcade systems, or the consoles; though do have a SNES and PS1. I do own Commodore products and vintage pc systems. Those of which I do use the actual systems, not emulators; these are not on the RetroPie for that reason. The SNES and PS1 system I actually owned these games I play in the past, so I see no issue regarding sailing the high seas if that is assumed. The same could be said for retro sales, who profits from that - the seller not the developer.

Basically it is much easier for me to use this little system, than dragging out the old consoles that I own.

Sorry my brain exploded reading this what do you mean?
"It just to me at the point your doing emulation it seems to make more sense to just go straight to the original system and emulate the original game vs emulate the compilation game version of the same game where you basically would need to boot into the compilation to select the game."

Last edited:
Back