Fixing phones worth it?

If you are in a rural area you have a better competitive chance against say Apple. We don't have an Apple retail store in our state so most of the time I fix broken screens.

Adds profit to the business but is a pain in the ass. I think it is worth it.

Starting out get parts from etechparts.com

When you get bigger buy from overseas.

There was another thread about this not too long ago, noting the hassles of competing with the "mall stores." Sounded like if there wasn't much competition in the area it'd be worthwhile, but if you're in an urban area you might be better off passing or maybe finding someplace to refer folks to.

I partner with a local guy that just does smartphones and tablets. I refer my calls to him and get $10/call that I refer to him. He does the same for me when people call looking for computer work. It works great for both of us.

I do computer freelance, but these days I don't get a lot of customers. Since I know how to fix iphones, I would say it is a beneficial and risky business. Beneficial because it is a good source of income and risky because it is dangerous if you brick someone phone and not being able to replace it.
I charge $60 for iphone 4 and 4s screen, $100 for iphone 5s and 5, $120 for iphone 6 and $150 for iphone 6s.

I also tell my customers whether the parts are OEM or premium replacement. I also ask them if they have Apple care before I proceed.
They accept the repairs on their own risk and I also offer a 30 day guarantee warranty.

Hope it helps you.

Back in the iPhone 4 days I was asked to take a crack at fixing one for my Manager at the time. I didn't especially want to do it but I figured it out and got through it.

Word got out and within days I had several phones on my desk to repair.

They had to put a stop to it because it was interfering with work I had been hired to do.

Moral of the story is that it might seem like lucrative side-work but if there's a big market for it, it will take over if you're not careful.

I'd say fixing phones is definitely worth it. When you think of the little time spend repairing, and the price of the parts. It's an extra source of money coming in.

Fixing phones has much less variables so it can be simpler to do basic cosmetic repairs. If you're more than 2 hours from an Apple Store the competition will be low. It's great to offer the service even if it is not a main source of income. iPhones require specific parts that are easy to source.

I'd recommend ifixit for Repair guides and parts. Other popular options for phone parts are Injured Gadgets, Movile Defenders, or Revamp Wholesale.

It does get tough if you are near even small urban areas. Now Staples out here is doing it too...hard to beat their price.

I partner with a local guy that just does smartphones and tablets. I refer my calls to him and get $10/call that I refer to him. He does the same for me when people call looking for computer work. It works great for both of us.
Great minds think alike! This is exactly the deal I have worked out with someone local. I am hoping it works out well, as we have only just started out.

if you know what you´re doing then you can make a good income in screen and battery replacements on iphones and other brands, ipad's are a hassle and more risky....

Reactions: GTP
if you know what you´re doing then you can make a good income in screen and battery replacements on iphones and other brands, ipad's are a hassle and more risky....

Good income? Maybe. Good PROFIT? Not a chance. After you take into consideration the cost of parts, you're lucky to make more than minimum wage fixing smartphones. Then you have to pay someone more than minimum wage in order to do it. It's basically a wash unless you charge way more than market rate for the repairs and use cheapo knockoff screens from China. No thanks. The best you can hope for is that people that break their phones will buy a case and/or other accessories from you without looking up the cheapest price on Amazon so you can make a few bucks selling the accessories. And then you have to deal with returns. "I think I want the lighter pink one instead of the darker pink one" or "the screen protector has bubbles and/or isn't perfect on the screen so I want my money back." Jesus, the headaches are unending. I'd rather work at McDonalds. It would pay better with WAY less stress.

I'd rather work at McDonalds. It would pay better with WAY less stress.

Lol I've said that exact line before about working at McDonalds vs doing certain things. This would probably be one of them.

Louis has a good video and this is from over 2 years ago about iphone repair going down the crapper. I'm sure there's still some shops out there that are profitable doing it but I just don't see it lasting for much longer.

Back