Firewall Change

mmerry

Reaction score
Looking at changing my stack. I am considering switching my firewall, switches, and AP's to Zyxel/Nebula. Currently pushing Untangle and Unif but the ones I have deployed are nearing the time when I should replace/upgrade and I figured it would be a good time to evaluate my stack. Curious what other people's thoughts are. Please don't bother with the hard-coded backdoor passwords as I have found that to be across a lot of vendors, Fortinet, Cisco, Juniper, etc. I hear a ton of people complain about them but the few I have used have been tanks and keep going. Note, that these will be used in small sites where I would be looking at no more than 150 total endpoints between computers, phones, printers, and the like.

They are working for me. I just know price creep, which is common among all vendors. A lot is just looking to see if there are other options out there that I may want to use. I am not committed to changing but feel I should always evaluate what is out there.

They are working for me. I just know price creep, which is common among all vendors. A lot is just looking to see if there are other options out there that I may want to use. I am not committed to changing but feel I should always evaluate what is out there.
We don't use Untangle but just curious - what about price increases? Is it deterring your customers from buying? As an IT provider its not your job to sell the client the cheapest solution, its to sell the right solution. We use SonicWALL for firewalls across the board and the price is the price. Were not going to switch to another vendor just because of a slight cost increase. The overhead involved to switch every time a vendor changes pricing is just too much work. We're still making our margins and the client is getting a proven and reputable product that we know will work for them, and that we can support with our eyes closed.

Still go with Untangle for many clients, and more complex networks. And Unifi...for the medium/smaller/more simple networks.
With price creep...you'll still find they are lower priced. And with Untangle, hard to find any other UTM with its features....and the same price.
Yeah NGFW offers buckets of value for the cash, it's just hard to find trustworthy hardware.

That being said. NGFW subs have NEVER INCREASED IN PRICE in their history. Now i don't mean that the price list doesn't change and numbers go up over time. What I mean is established subs are locked in. I've got people on 15 year old subs paying pennies relative to current rates. Which is something I point out whenever I'm talking to people about them.

Back