Need help getting FortiGate firewall for small business

timeshifter

Reaction score
A small business customer of mine is switching to a new LOB that is hybrid cloud based and will need a site-to-site VPN connection to a service provider called Flexential. The application provider had originally told me that they recommend Cisco ASA, Meraki and Sonicwall, but that other equipment works. When I called their support I asked if Ubiquiti worked and they said they had several customers that used it successfully. So I bought a USG Pro 4 and installed it.

Now that I'm working with the cloud back end service provider directly to get the tunnel set up I'm learning more. They told me that they prefer Cisco ASA and FortiGate, and are encouraging their sites to move to Fortigate.

There are a few things I need to learn from Ubiquiti support to get the connection working. Flexential said if I was using FortiGate they could walk me through it. Note that they weren't pushing me to change equipment and seemed confident it will work, but I'm thinking I might want to go to what they know and support.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of FortiGate (FortiNet) products? A quick perusal of the website and it's pretty daunting, looks pretty high-end.

We need probably their lowest end unit. The customer will only have about 12 PCs at the main store.

Should I try to call up FortiNet and order one? Go to CDW or a distributor? The vendor also mentioned that FortiGate may be offered in a VM.

Last year we took on a school...which ran on all Forti equipment, dual Fortigates, Fortiswitches, and their APs.
I hated it. With a passion. And a capital H in hate!

With their products you have a support package with them...so call them up. I did not have to do any "site to site VPN" with them, only remote client VPN. Actually, I did setup a site to site VPN with Fortis at another old old client over 15 years ago...but..that's long forgotten.

For just site to site VPN setups, most vendors...once you set it up it's done. Some brands may have slight nuances, but overall, VPNs are the same when comparing type to type. Most vendors will have a hand holding setup guide in their support section....on creating site to site tunnels. Not sure I'd spend a few thou changing network edge equipment just to get a software vendors support on a VPN tunnel.

How about giving the Ubiquiti setup a shot? It's pretty simple with UI. We can help you here.

How about giving the Ubiquiti setup a shot? It's pretty simple with UI. We can help you here.
Thanks! Like I mentioned, we're pretty close to getting it working. But the fields available in the UniFi setup don't directly line up with what they've provided. I'll post up another thread for that.

Actually I have a FortiGate FG-60e. It technically belongs to a customer, but they're not using it. It was left behind by a tenant who left their building. They also left some other equipment, server, switch, etc. Not a bad split but some weird government / non-profit type thing. Anyway, my intention was to either sell it for them or configure it for their use.

So, this device looks like it costs around $350. That's reasonable possibly. But it also seems there's an annual license for about the same money ($350). So maybe not so ideal as that's an annual thing. The USG Pro 4 was about $350 one time.

Back