File search on network drives

MobileTechie

Reaction score
Server 2008r2 with Windows 8 and 8.1 clients in a workgroup. Server acting as file server only.

I'm trying to work out how to be able to search the network shares from the desktops. Ideally I'd like it to work int the same way local files do - start typing the string in the start menu and file names appear. Failing that at least to be able to search a folder from the search box in file explorer.

I've installed the Windows Search Service in the File Services role on the server. Supposedly this enables client computers to search using the index created on the server.

I've tested that the index is being created and, as long as I add the drive I've selected for indexing to the server's Documents Library, I can find files in the search box instantly.

But I cannot get it work on the desktops properly. Initiallly I couldn't find anything. Then after adding the network share to a Library I could find files but not in the start menu search, only by going to the share in File Explorer and using its search box. But now that's stopped too. I can only search sucessfully by navigating to the share via Network and searching there and it will find files by name (not contents) and it takes a while, leading me to believe it's a raw search and not using the index.

I've tried rebuilding the index with varied results but cannot get it working. Services all running fine. It's a clean install of 2008 BTW but there is Carbonite running so wondering if that might be messing with the index whilst it access files maybe during indexing?

Am I missing something fundamental here?

How about the everything search program?

www.voidtools.com/

Everything Search Engine. Locate files and folders by name instantly. Everything. Small installation file; Clean and simple user interface; Quick file indexing ...

One of, if not the fastest search program I've found. Once all network shares are indexed, it's damned fast.

Hi Nige. I do like Everything but really wanted to get the Windows native functions working as whilst I'm doing this for myself right now, I've several business clients to whom it will be relevant.

I've made some progress. I've discovered that it doesn't work initially but if I RDP onto the server and search for something and then go back to the desktop, then it works just fine and I get instant, indexed results in the expected places.

I'm stumped as to why this would be the case?

Hi Neil, sorry mate, I can't help out. I know less than nothing on servers, so will have to bow out on this one.

Wish you luck mate :)

No worries mate.

I've since discovered that I lose the ability to search the indexes from the client PC within about 15 mins of not using the PC, but I can get it working again by opening a random file on the server via the desktop and it "wakes it up".

Last edited:
Confirm indexing service is running on the server. If I recall, have to add some permissions to it....I'll try to dig up info later as we just got 2x 911's and one of them is a big wireless point to point at a dairy farm...bad lightening storm whacked stuff...so loading truck and hauling out there to farm country about an hour away.

Yeah the service is running OK. And no errors on the server since I reinstalled the role service. it just stops working after a rest. I'm looking through the power options in case something is literally going to sleep but with 2008 on a basic server there aren't many so doesn't look like that.

Good luck with your wireless job. I had a lightning job last year - blew all sorts of weird things with no discernable pattern.

Got 2x Unifi's up now, swapped out their old resi grade netgear router with a Unifi EdgeMax Lite.
It's the season for huge piles of cow 'n horse crap....wow is it strong here as I'm walking around the farm. Putting lots of extra hair in my nostrils!

Nobody got any ideas on this? I think over the last few days I've read every single post on the internet relating to this and nobody seems to have found a solution so I'm beginning to wonder if it's unsolvable?

Hmm thought I'd solved it. On one PC I don't have any local documents and so just want the network share. On that one I changed the Location of the user folders: Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos to their counterparts on the server and added them to the relevant Libraries. This didn't work until I went into each Library and pressed the Restore Defaults button in properties. At which point it all works perfectly and the desktop finds files using the server's index instantly.

However this is no good on the other machines on which I cannot change the location of these folders since they have their own local files, and using the Restore Defaults button removes the server shares from the Library.

But it seems like it's pointing towards the solution somehow.

Back