Expanding Revenues: Getting into the OS Business

jeubank

Reaction score
What is the difference between an OEM License for Windows and a Retail copy from Best Buy or Walmart? (besides an extra $120 markup). It is Support. OEM copies of Windows are suppose to be supported by the manufactures of computers. That is why it is a cheaper copy. Of course you can still call Microsoft, but they will charge you $$$ for support. Most Manufactures disregard that part of the agreement entirely (HP for example - with Microsoft suing them).

What if, you wanted to sell an Operating System - that is Free to the public, However GPL licensed + Open-source. Is that legal. Yes (usualy - you have to check its license first.). Ubuntu is a great example. Ubuntu allows you to sell its Operating System as long as you provide additional value ( packaging, support, etc) and provide the source code upon request.

Bringing to my next point. I have created my own Distro of Ubuntu. Its still called Ubuntu. However I designed my own DVD Case + Manual + Quick Help Guide. I Also support ANY questions or problems with Ubuntu to those who purchase it from me. I charge $85 for 1 copy - Copy Includes 2 DVD Discs. A custom Distro with specific software + dependencies, and another Disc with Additional Programs that are also Open-Source. Total cost is $4.90 per copy (everything is color - and thats what it comes out to from the printing company in blocks of 100 copies)

Selling your Distrubution:

End-Users 95% of the time either have never heard of Linux, or still thinks its all command-line based. I greatly enjoy bring my Laptop and showing a live copy of my Distro running. I show them Picasa running, Quickbooks 2011, Gimp, and of course Facebook with Farmville. Showing them the ease of use and capabilities.

I dont show it to every customer. Every customer would not be interested. However Older customers love it. The almost guarantee of Virus immunity, coupled with 1 year of instant support from me, and the ease of installing new software (add/remove programs through Synaptic!). They also like the Free upgrades forever.

This typical customer wants 3 things. Check email, browse the internet, view photos of there family. Showing them is quite easy with my distro. There are links on the desktop and the top "Task-bar" If they want to do other things, They are alerted that Linux does not support ALL windows software. And generally it does not at all. However I (awesome tech of the year) have configured Wine and does support many programs. (The quick-help sheet i have, lists the most commonly used Windows programs that can be installed, in different categories. Games, Office Productive, Accounting, and misc. And a where can I view other software that it supports website address).

9 times out of 10. They say yes. They want it on there computer. However, only 2 out of 10 actually purchase it on the spot. They prefer to want to play with it first. They then call me, and pay for the 1 year of support later. (About 75 % Conversion rate of the free customers to the paid).

I choose to sell to an older crowd of folks, who use there computer strictly for those 3 things. I cant guarantee Peachtree accounting is going to install on the machine so i dont even mention it to Accountants, or the like. I targeted 30 percent of my client base, and made the distribution just for them.

The Support-Side of Things:

The promise of me to support the operating system, as well as help navigate and get accustomed to, obviously requires me to help these people without pay. Is my Phone going to be constantly ringing with that Grandmother who is intimidated by everything? Am I ever going to get a call? Yes and No.

You will always have the Grandmother. However, if you stay patient, it really only boils down to about 1 hour of slow, training. Remember, they are so intimidated by computers, they only check there email and see photos of there family most of the time. Getting the information to soak in, and letting them know they cant break anything (linux does not give easy access to critical system files) takes about 1 hour. Sometimes its 4 phone calls at 15 minutes each. Sometimes you just need to schedule an appointment on-site for 1 full hour of your time. Remember - they already paid for it.

The other group, is those who are relatively comfortable. They demand a little more functionality, but it is not outside the scope of Ubuntu. They like itunes for there ipod (which works in Linux), There kids still want utorrent for there "Legal" downloading (which works - well, they use Transmission now), and they have flash + Java installed out of the box for there facebook / youtube browsing. How over do these people call?

very rarely. Usually they will call when they have purchased a new printer, or camera. Or some other peripheral. Installing drivers is entirely different in Linux. They are completely lost. Good for me, I use Linux now for my business coupled with a few windows machines. It takes about 10 minutes over the phone, or 5 minutes if they let me remote into there machines. I never have to leave the office to troubleshoot these individuals. Again, most of what they do, is already configured once the distro installs.

The Numbers:

These numbers reflect 3 months of active selling and development. I cannot guarantee there accuracy as during the first month i was not actively tracking my sales. (bad laziness)

In 90 days I have sold 38 Copies of Ubuntu Linux.

38 Copies = $3,230
Cost per copy = $4.90
Profit = $3043.80

# of Support calls from Purchased Copies = 15
# of repeat calls from Purchased Copies = 4
# of Support calls from non-purchased Copes = 2 (these people paid the regular $65/hr tech support fee)

Additional Profit from Support Calls = $130

Conclusion:

If you know linux, or at least comfortable with it to install drivers, configure a custom distro, then yes it is entirely worth it. You are providing a service that other people do not offer in your area (at least not in mine). That is added value that you can offer.

Tracking your sales is very important I found out in the first month. You need to know who paid for it and who didnt. When you get the call, you need to be able to type in the customer's phone # or name, and bring up there License #. So you know whether to charge them from the call or not to.

You also need to rely on your skills in Linux, before attempting this. Otherwise you will be spending most of your time googling solutions, rather than getting it done. And it may not be worth your time if you have to spend over an hour per call.

Sounds like you are just changing what software is packaged with the system. Is this it? If not, how are you impacted by updates deployed by Canonical?

I was looking into doing this with Chromium OS and Android, but I don't have the time or knowledge to make it fly. It is a good idea companies like Red Hat are making good money doing this.

Well...Red Hat goes a bit beyond repackaging a distro, but you are correct. But even VA Linux was initially highly successful, more than even Red Hat, and even they went out of business. But, if you have the right product and market it just right it could be successful.

Last edited:
Bringing to my next point. I have created my own Distro of Ubuntu. Its still called Ubuntu.

It's been a few years, but I think I read somewhere that they want you to change the name if you change the contents. Probably so that people don't get confused if one version doesn't have something that they expect because the other version has it.

Very interesting to see someone doing this with success. I definitely agree with you that it will not be a fit for everyone, but seniors and non-power users make a great fit.

It is interesting that you have Quickbooks running with that, does it take some sort of work around to do so? When I had my store, I was trying to switch over to Linux as my primary OS, but not being able to run Quickbooks was my biggest problem. Then again, that was 3 years ago.

Very interesting to see someone doing this with success. I definitely agree with you that it will not be a fit for everyone, but seniors and non-power users make a great fit.

It is interesting that you have Quickbooks running with that, does it take some sort of work around to do so? When I had my store, I was trying to switch over to Linux as my primary OS, but not being able to run Quickbooks was my biggest problem. Then again, that was 3 years ago.

The program (NOT TO BE CONSIDERED AN EMULATION.... according to wine's website) is called Wine/Crossover. In the past 3 - 4 months they have made great strides with incorporating, .net libraries, directx, and silverlight.

The secret to Wine i believe. Is to take a fresh install of Wine, and install dependencies afterwords before anything else. For some reason, installing for instance Paltalk on linux before installing .net 3.5 will not work. You install 3.5 first and it works flawlessly. So I like to do the inclusive 2.0 - 3.5 patch, then 4.0, then java (windows java / linux java is different ever so slightly.)

You may have Java installed through linux, but the Windows Wine Enviroment cant see or access it. So you need to install EVERYTHING. the great part is. Once you have a box/setup complete. you can create a distro around that.

Remember that when you install Wine it creates a registry / directory where other applications also go to, call upon, etc. So, set up the latest enviroment you can before you install applications.

I have quickbooks running Premier and home on quite a few desktops at the moment.

(I broke the rules. I downloaded a pirated copy, and installed the software on a linux box in the office, specific to Ubuntu, Wine, .net, Java, Flash, etc.) ----- NOTE: To test CRITICAL Customer applications before selling. Because.. if a customer relies on specific piece of software and it does not work (generally mainstread applications like - Quickbooks, Peachtree, Photoshop, Adobe Writer, etc). The OS is worthless to them. they WILL NOT, learn a new Open-Source software. PERIOD.

Last edited:
It's been a few years, but I think I read somewhere that they want you to change the name if you change the contents. Probably so that people don't get confused if one version doesn't have something that they expect because the other version has it.

Ubuntu is released under General Public License v2 (GPL V2) which states the name / artwork can remain. Some distro's do not like that....

For instance

DreamLinux requires you to change not just the name, but 35% of the artwork for look / feel. it Depends on your distro that you target.

you need to read those 10 pages or so to find out. luckily most demands are laid out clearly, and not in "lawyer speak" haha.

I thought about Server developments... I really like CentOS but there License is more restrictive. I would litteraly have to create logos, a new name, icon graphics, etc. EVERYTHING GUI.. has to be redone.

End point. You are still allowed. But you need to see what the requirements are. Ubuntu is very open, and easy to grasp for non-technical uses. I choose that.

Back