Email for a "soon to be dead" account

britechguy

Reaction score
This question isn't really specific to any one email client (or even access method, for that matter) and I've never given it much thought.

A person who's soon to become emeritus faculty at a local university has contacted me about moving her e-mail "before they close the account." The first thing I told her is that she needs to check with her IT department, because most universities I know of support emeritus accounts for former faculty and staff, even some graduate students who've since moved on.

If, however, there is no emeritus status, is there an easy/standard way to set up an account on a home machine, let it sync all the email locally (which can definitely be done easily for IMAP, and I'd have to presume Exchange, too), then just stop it from continuing to try to sync after the date that the underlying account goes out of existence on its server?

For myself, were I faced with this situation, I'd really rather have "an archival account" in my email client where all my messages from "that era" just sat there, but in the same account and folder structure where they always had been. The primary difference would be that the account itself no longer exists for synchronization, and should be taken out of "synchronize all accounts."

Is this something that's done, or is there a better solution? Access to that email as though it were "live" is still needed, whatever approach is taken.

If she's just looking to keep her emails, and not really the account, I just hook up something like Outlook desktop or Thunderbird and sync her mail to it. If she has an Exchange email, she's better off with Outlook since Thunderbird is a pain to connect to exchange. Once the emails are downloaded, i move them to a local folder to keep them safe.

If she has a current version of Outlook on her computer, she can connect it to her email account at the University...assuming she knows her user credentials, and...has the MS Auth app on her smart phone to approve the MFA.

In Outlook under the account properties, slide the bar all the way to the right to download ALL EMAIL (default is just 1x year). Once Outlook has completed the local copy of the full mailbox....export to PST and store that somewhere.

Since it's Outlook and Exchange...all the important stuff will come down...of course the mailbox, subfolders, contacts, calendar, signature, etc.

This is in the early stages, so I don't know what she has in the way of an email client on her own home machine.

But the consensus seems to be that the approach I was thinking of taking will work. Variants on that theme are what have been offered.

I would probably not have thought of the "move it all to a local folder structure" part, but will have that in mind now.

Remind her that those emails are not her's per se. They are the property of the institution in question. That being said I'm sure if she's in good graces with them there should be minimal push back if any. But I'd still get something in writing.

It's easy to find out what their email system is. Just drop the domain into https://mxtoolbox.com, click the MX lookup button. Anything with outlook.com is exchange. Other stuff you might need to check the DNS names to get an idea of who the host is. Can't remember what Google does with their hosted domain gmail stuff. If it's not M365 or GMail then it's IMAP.

As far as what method. But first you want an idea of how big the store is. If it's not too big, under 15 GB, I'd get a free gmail account, add her work account. Then discuss clients.

@Markverhyden

Google appears to be the email provider.
1692398389777.png

As far as "who owns" those email, that is outside my scope and "above my pay grade." I don't ask anyone who has login credentials for an active email account anything about it other than the login credentials to set it up. It is up to that individual to know what the policy is in regard to their email upon retirement or other severance from an employer, not mine.

This is someone on staff at a local college who wants to keep her email messages after retirement, and we all know that there's a mixed bag in the content on work emails as far as personal versus work-related, and I never, ever get into analyzing the individual messages. Another thing that is outside my scope.

@Markverhyden

Google appears to be the email provider.
View attachment 15072

As far as "who owns" those email, that is outside my scope and "above my pay grade." I don't ask anyone who has login credentials for an active email account anything about it other than the login credentials to set it up. It is up to that individual to know what the policy is in regard to their email upon retirement or other severance from an employer, not mine.

This is someone on staff at a local college who wants to keep her email messages after retirement, and we all know that there's a mixed bag in the content on work emails as far as personal versus work-related, and I never, ever get into analyzing the individual messages. Another thing that is outside my scope.
It's Googles version of IMAP.

Aside from the legal and compliance issues of ownership that have already been mentioned...

It's in a Gmail box. If the university hasn't configured the tenant to prevent 3rd party mail clients, your best bet is to hook one up as IMAP, set it to download everything, and then export it all into your format of choice.

Which is what I presumed as a Gmail user myself. That and the fact of the animosity between Google and Microsoft.

Contrary to semi-popular opinion in the IT world, Google Workspace is still very much alive and kicking.

Oh I'm very much aware, and I'm also very much aware it just cost a local advertising firm an additional $10,000 to work around the fact that it sucks, or lose access to a huge new client they're courting.

I'm so done with that stupid company costing people money. Put your business on M365 and climb the well defined ladder to success. Google's ecosystem simply doesn't provide that. And the partner organizations that fuel Google's model know that... everything costs more, because Google does less.

I lack the words to properly express how much I really wish this wasn't the case... Microsoft needs competent competition.

Slight wrinkle, introduced last night: client is a Mac user.

That puts MailStore off the table, for starters. I've asked her what email client she's using, if any, and am set to meet her at 1 PM.

I wish I could warm up to Apple and the Mac ecosystem, but I just can't. I work with it when I have to, but if it were possible to avoid it entirely I would gladly do so.

Could always get the users creds and do it on your own system or some Windows bench system

But how does that help her? The end goal is having direct access to those messages. The only reason I considered MailStore was as an archiving plan to whatever email client I set up to access the existing account. A backup backup if you will.

I just hope she has her credentials. I have asked her to procure them in advance, but we all know that never guarantees anything!

But how does that help her? The end goal is having direct access to those messages.

Because you have a rock solid "portable" method of carrying around those emails.
Even Outlook for Mac can open PSTs exported from Outlook on a Windows computer.

If she comes from a career in education, I'd wager she has Office on her MacBook. Even if she doesn't, there are lots of utilities out there (many of those are free) which can open/view PSTs. But yeah ideally you'd want to move that PST into Outlook on her computer if she wants to elegantly be able to traipse through those emails in the future.

Depending on what she uses for current email, you even might be able to upload those emails into her current email system (might have to purchase more space). From any computer (not stuck with her MacBook)...so long as you have her creds.

Back