During repair install, mouse, KB not working

Theo

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with an Optiplex GX520, I am doing a repair install due to an 07b blue screen error, and during the XP Pro repair install, when windows wants some keyboard or mouse input, neither of them work, I have tried different KB's and mice,, only USB, no PS/2 ports on the machine. It looks like the devices aren't even getting power through the USB ports. I'm wondering if anyone here has run into this issue before.

1st question, what do you charge? Because 99/100 times if its a win XP, it would be more beneficial to recommend a replacement and pay you to transfer data/setup new computer.

With that being said, if there is a compelling reason to stay with that computer and OS, can you boot into BIOS? Sounds like driver or registry corruption to me....skip the repair and just do a nuke n pave....after confirming that the HDD is still good.

As mentioned, sounds like OS corruption.

You could plug a flash drive or something that lights up into the ports to see if they are receiving power.

I would boot to a live disk & test the HD first before starting any other repairs. If you have kb/mouse control with a boot disk, then a nuke/pave would probably be my next step as well...if I couldn't talk the owner into a new system, that is.

Win XP = UGH...

I'm almost to the point now of not even repairing them anymore.

1st question, what do you charge? Because 99/100 times if its a win XP, it would be more beneficial to recommend a replacement and pay you to transfer data/setup new computer.

With that being said, if there is a compelling reason to stay with that computer and OS, can you boot into BIOS? Sounds like driver or registry corruption to me....skip the repair and just do a nuke n pave....after confirming that the HDD is still good.

Yes that's a good point and I am leaning towards just replacing, although it would be nice just to have it up and running Monday, the kb and mouse work fine in bios. HDD is still good.

Ps/2

Maybe try the PS/2 ports. Once it took awhile for usb drivers to install on this old crappy computer I worked on. Does it work in safe mode?

I'd definitely try the ps/2 ports if this pc had them. I'd try a serial mouse if I had one.
No Doesn't work in safe mode, blue screens after mup.sys.

Not going to address the 07b issue as I assume you know what you are doing there.
What I wanted to mention was that Dells with no PS2 ports can be VERY finicky about mice and keyboards when they get into this state (where a repair install is pretty much the only non-destructive way forward).
I would say there is a good chance you're not using the mouse and keyboard that are normally plugged into this machine.
For this reason I have:
An original old Dell optical USB mouse and original Dell keyboard. And if that doesn't work...
A PCI PS/2 card with mouse and keyboard ports on it.

Possible ideas:

fiddle with the BIOS usb/legacy settings, ps2 settings or emulation, plug and play settings.

see if you can f6 third party driver to do the chipset as it starts up before the actual repair (not sure if this can be done)

What SP is the XP PRO disc ? Possible that XP PRO without SP3 might not be seeing the usb/hub hardware.

that's it for now.

Last edited:
Back