Dual boot but not dual boot!

atlasmike

Reaction score
Ok, I got a laptop in that the wife of the customer tried to install Microsoft Office. Well she thought she was trying to install Office. HE gave it to me and when it boots, after Bios, it brings up a selection of two OS to boot from. Windows 7 (recovered) which is what came on the computer or the XP which it will boot to if you do not select the up arrow to boot to 7. Now there is still only the partitions on the HDD for one windows installation and in msconfig under boot, there is only one OS listed as well. This guy run parts of his business with this PC so I don't want to do anything that would damage data or lose programs. If he just has to be vigilant on start up to select the right OS then that's the way it has to be. But what am I missing here

1. Make a whole drive image backup. Safety first.
2. In general, the boot loader for the new OS is controlling the bootup of the PC. In Windows XP, you should be able to use MSCONFIG (or manually edit the boot.ini file) and select the preferred OS.
3. Nuclear option: You made a whole disk image backup, right? Good. Pull the drive, and nuke the XP partition. Then insert the drive back into the PC, and boot from a Windows 7 disk. Choose the "Repair your Computer" option. You'll want to make your way to a command prompt. Enter the following:
Code:
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

This should put the Windows 7 boot loader back on the drive, and XP should be gone.

Don't forget to make a backup before you start. Things could go wrong quick, fast, and in a hurry with things like this.

1. Make a whole drive image backup. Safety first.
2. In general, the boot loader for the new OS is controlling the bootup of the PC. In Windows XP, you should be able to use MSCONFIG (or manually edit the boot.ini file) and select the preferred OS.
3. Nuclear option: You made a whole disk image backup, right? Good. Pull the drive, and nuke the XP partition. Then insert the drive back into the PC, and boot from a Windows 7 disk. Choose the "Repair your Computer" option. You'll want to make your way to a command prompt. Enter the following:
Code:
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

This should put the Windows 7 boot loader back on the drive, and XP should be gone.

Don't forget to make a backup before you start. Things could go wrong quick, fast, and in a hurry with things like this.

On it right now. Thanks.

I did forget to say that if it boots to the XP portion, I get a DSOD. Saying to check the PC for Virus'. SO no booting to XP. But I will follow these steps anyways. Image is being created now.

Back