[REQUEST] Do the make this kind of POE injector?

nlinecomputers

Reaction score
I’ve got a client who has flipped her phones over to VOIP ph from Ring Central. They only have one pc drop in each room. So a power plug and the network cable runs from the wall and then to the PC. Too much clutter and hard to move the phones. They are balking at a quote for new drops as the office is an old home and a major PITA $$$ to run drops. Does anyone sell an injector with a powered and non powered output that I can put on the floor under the desk so that the daisychain does not happen on the back of phone. I can find plenty of single injectors and even little 4 port hubs, which is over kill but no dual output. Anyone point me to a product?

Never heard of such a thing. I'm surprised that the phones don't have a second nic port for daisy chaining.
You misunderstand, they do. The client's complaint is of too many damn wires on the desk. The old Nortel PBX system was powered over the phone line so it had one wire. The phones didn't ship with a POE injector, though they support it, so we have a power cable, and two ethernet cables coming out of all the phones. I and the client would rather have that under the desk not on top of the desk coming out of the phones.

Time for a PoE switch. You can get them pretty cheap these days, carry one in my van as backup. Think I paid $70-80 for an Intellinet. Unless they've got the phones in some really odd places. Almost forgot. It's possible that the phone lines could be 4pr. I've done that several times, just re-terminating both ends.

Time for a PoE switch. You can get them pretty cheap these days, carry one in my van as backup. Think I paid $70-80 for an Intellinet. Unless they've got the phones in some really odd places. Almost forgot. It's possible that the phone lines could be 4pr. I've done that several times, just re-terminating both ends.
Still means two wires per phone. The old phone wire is only 4 wire, 2 pair terminated into a 66 block.

Is there only one phone and one PC in each room?
Does each room have a data jack and a voice (2-wire) jack?
If you answer yes then just run a cable from the wall data jack to the phone and then another cable from the phone to the PC. Supply POE to the cable back at the switch.

Only one cable and no mess.

If you only have 1 eth drop, and they don't want to recable... then you have to come out of that drop into an injector, out of that injector into the phone, out of the phone and down to the computer. All you've saved is the power cable going to the phone.

Now, you can use these on the desks: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Sl...=Monoprice+SlimRun+Cat6&qid=1632196840&sr=8-2

Same number of wires but MUCH smaller... it helps a ton with some velcro wraps to keep things together.

But the configurable multi-port injector you're looking for is called a PoE switch. That's why you cannot find purpose built things like you're asking... you use the switch for that. If it's under a desk or in the server closet doesn't matter... still a switch.

For setups that are too expensive to add new runs to individual offices, where there is a single existing wall jack, and wifi is needed, I usually use the Unifi InWall-HD AP. You put a Unifi POE switch in the rack, the InWall AP is basically a combination of a 4x port switch with the first port being POE, along with a built in AP. Now the office has wifi and 4x ports.....1x of which is POE. But you'd still have 2x cables going from the wall jack to the desk.

But....honestly the LEAST amount of cables going TO the desk....just put a POE switch in the rack, single ETH cable from existing wall jack to phone..and a slim cable from the back of the phone to the computer. That's 2x cables.

LLDP MED auto voice vlan abilities of managed switches will separate the voice vlan from the data easy peasy....although not really necessary for Ring Central since that's cloud instead of local PBX/edgewater.

Wires going TO the desk isn’t going to be an issue. It is the wire ON the desk that is the complaint. She wants one wire to the phone. A couple of users on Facebook pointed me to some 3 port poe switches. But TP-Link makes a 5 port switch at half the cost. If it’s hidden away under the desk then the client is happy. So that’s gonna be my call With the thin cables @Sky-Knight suggested. Nice find. I didn’t know about those.

I use the micro slim runs more.....prefer their smaller boots especially for patch panels.
I'd not want to manage a network with a bunch of soho switches under desks though, no way in frozen hell a network with VoIP on it with a bunch of unmanaged switches under desks.

I use the micro slim runs more.....prefer their smaller boots especially for patch panels.
I'd not want to manage a network with a bunch of soho switches under desks though, no way in frozen hell a network with VoIP on it with a bunch of unmanaged switches under desks.
Yeah, I get that. But my pain is billable time. Cheap clients are bad clients but they also end up paying more. Besides she's my attorney and so I try extra hard to please her.

Back