[SOLVED] **Desktop PC No Video** - Phantom Issue

Sounds like a second bad board.

What if it were the PSU or something else frying the board? AFAIK PSU's only degrade in output but don't cause power surges.

PSU tested fine w/ PSU tester.

The description for the board: used - this motherboard and processor were pulled from a working computer.

Last edited:
I've only seen low or no voltage as well, but I suppose it's possible. I didn't check out the seller, but I believe you got it on ebay, how was the feedback? Maybe they sold it for someone else, or just lied. It's hard to say. Have you tried swapping a new PSU in?

I've only seen low or no voltage as well, but I suppose it's possible. I didn't check out the seller, but I believe you got it on ebay, how was the feedback? Maybe they sold it for someone else, or just lied. It's hard to say. Have you tried swapping a new PSU in?

Swapped out RAM + PSU + HDD + CPU + Monitor + Monitor Cables.

This is the seller: https://www.ebay.com/usr/thermalglow?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

60 feedback, 100% rating. Been a member since 2004.

Last edited:
Did you at any time have the original PSU connected to the new motherboard? If so, that might suggest something weird going on with the PSU.

So you are saying that after you installed the new board, that the computer turned on, you had video, it attempted to boot, and then you got BSOD and now no video?

Have you done this?

Pull out board and power supply
Hook up board with CPU/ram and power supply on bench
plug in monitor
Short the power switch pins to turn it on

Next try a good power supply still out of the case and see what that does

The eBay seller of the motherboard says:

I also am a full time computer tech for over 20yrs now. The motherboard and processor were pulled from a fully functional computer that was running Windows 10. The computer was operational up to the day that I removed it from the computer chassis and listed it for sale in this auction. I'm sorry but I know with 100% certainty that the processor and motherboard were fully functional at the time of shipment. Also I specifically stated in the return terms that I do not accept returns.

Edit: they are willing to refund me the $50 for the part and not the $10 shipping (fine) and I pay the return shipping.

Edit 2: I declined their offer because I wanted to message them and thought I could by doing that (eBay's messaging system is crap) and because they could not send another offer, the seller gave me a full refund and asked me to send them $10 back for shipping expenses (done) and keep the board (not fair to them).

Edit 3:

"Thank you for being honest and refunding the $10. You do not need to send the items back. I really appreciate you trying to make it right though, it's encouraging to see.

Have a great day,

Chris"

Last edited:
Have you done this?

Pull out board and power supply
Hook up board with CPU/ram and power supply on bench
plug in monitor
Short the power switch pins to turn it on

Next try a good power supply still out of the case and see what that does

Does not work. I only have 1 spare DDR3 RAM stick so it is possible that the customer's 2 sticks are bad and so is mine. Need to get my hands on another stick.

IMG_20180318_142749.jpg
IMG_20180318_142754.jpg

Last edited:
In that picture, The VGA is not plugged in. ?? Use that instead of HDMI.
I would also use a monitor that is VGA only to test. I have a Samsung monitor and sometimes it drives me crazy when it cycles thru the different inputs.

Some computers will not show HDMI till Windows takes over.

Last edited:
In that picture, The VGA is not plugged in. ?? Use that instead of HDMI.
I would also use a monitor that is VGA only to test. I have a Samsung monitor and sometimes it drives me crazy when it cycles thru the different inputs.

Some computers will not show HDMI till Windows takes over.

It was doing this when I used VGA with a different monitor. I upgraded this system to Windows 10 and gave it a tune-up several months ago and it worked just fine.

Got the board today. Did not fix the problem. Works just like it did when I first got it:

1) Start -> Boots -> BSOD -> Inaccessible Boot Drive
2) Reboot -> Black Screen (ALWAYS)

Tried swapping out everything again including the monitor and used VGA and HDMI cables.

Even used the CPU that came with the mobo.

Nothing but a black screen - no BIOS, no nothing.

Any chance that this is a know problem with this model and that you've just been had on Ebay?

Have you tried a video card instead of the internal graphics?

Yes, 3 external GPUs using a DVI, VGA and HDMI cable.

Any chance that this is a know problem with this model and that you've just been had on Ebay?

I will investigate (edit: not finding anything). The eBay seller has been around since 2004 and has a perfect score albeit only 60 feedback.

Last edited:
Even with a replacement motherboard, 4 different RAM sticks, 2 external graphics cards, a different CPU, a new power supply, the computer still will not boot up.

Built-in power supply is fine:

IMG_20180322_230341.jpg

The built-in PSU:

IMG_20180322_230347.jpg

giphy.gif

Back