[SOLVED] DELETE

Truly minimalist
Simple does not equal minimalist either. It means simple, easy to understand, information available at a glance, what you do and offer obvious but not overstated, etc. Mac OS is simple to use for most people, but I wouldn't call it minimalist.

Your mock up was neither minimalist nor well done. It ticks all the boxes, bad ones.
You may not like the design, but it ticked all the right boxes. Not everything has to be shiny and generic.

You are really overthinking this.
I disagree. Whatever you choose will be yours for a long, long time. Changing your name/logo WILL lose you business (mostly repeats that aren't sure if they've found you again). Just picking something because it's better than what you've got is not a good long term business strategy. Finding a good designer is challenging because the good ones don't freelance for very long. I've had dozens of logos and websites designed for myself (other businesses that I own) and clients and without fail every single good designer I find is gone by the next time I need something designed because they're snapped up by a big company.

@Appletax What did I just say about esoteric crap? Nobody knows what that is unless they're a computer guy. The end user sees the computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, etc. They don't see the bus lines on their motherboard or their RAM chips and have no idea what those things are or what they look like.
This. I said the same and the other topic and got shouted down by all the other techs that DO know what it is. If WE think it is cool you probably have it totally wrong. LOL.

What about these?

We actually did something similar and each person chose a different color for the chipset color. Most people really liked them because they stood out- however the text area is small and made the phone number and other info harder to read for some people. We are redesigning ours because of this- they want to look at the card and have the phone number stick right out!

It's the size of the text that matters most. Too often I hear "it looks fine on my screen" when it's barely legible. I'd say 12pt minimum, 10 if you're really pressed for space.

Of the above I prefer blue or green.

It's the size of the text that matters most. Too often I hear "it looks fine on my screen" when it's barely legible. I'd say 12pt minimum, 10 if you're really pressed for space.

Of the above I prefer blue or green.

This is why I always either make a print copy, if possible, or never give the go ahead until having received the galley PDF for approval from the printer, which generally displays at 100% and that's "actual business card size" so you have a much better sense of what the end result will be.

I designed my cards using MS-Publisher, and printed I don't know how many trials. But even then, there are issues with what a given ink color looks like when it "hits the page" versus on the screen. I had a great home print, and galley copy, but the blue I used for address/phone/email did not "read" anything like it did on screen or on home print in the final result.

If you have to make a guess, go darker than you think you might need on a light background, and lighter than you think you might need to on a dark background.

I like the blue and green as well. The pink, as shown on-screen, is barely legible and although I love red I also know that subliminal messages that are attached to that color that I think one would rather avoid in our business.

Part of my business is print, so i know all about small text sizes, colour types etc if you want a hand checking for any issues that may occur during printing.
My business card/logo etc is all on a black background with white text and some blue items in places. I havent had any issues with people not being able to read it apart from people who have sight issues anyway.
A nice rich black can be printed, when designed properly. To do that you need a certain mix of CMY and then the 100% black. Just using 100% K will print a dark grey colour. The correct mix depends on the printer you use, but generally 30% C, 30% M, 30% Y, 100% K is a safe option.
Colours on screen will always look different when printed. most of that is caused by colours on screen suing RGB and printers using CMYK. monitors having a backlight also changes the colour.

I personally like your blue/black(grey)/white one in your initial post. Having the grey background instead of black looks nice too. I think i just have a thing for those colours though. After choosing them for my business i read somewhere about the meanings of colours and blue meaning trust, black meaning professionalism and white mean simplicity. I dont read into that sh*t but some people obviously do and is used in marketing all over the world.

This is why I always either make a print copy, if possible, or never give the go ahead until having received the galley PDF for approval from the printer, which generally displays at 100% and that's "actual business card size" so you have a much better sense of what the end result will be.

I designed my cards using MS-Publisher, and printed I don't know how many trials. But even then, there are issues with what a given ink color looks like when it "hits the page" versus on the screen. I had a great home print, and galley copy, but the blue I used for address/phone/email did not "read" anything like it did on screen or on home print in the final result.

If you have to make a guess, go darker than you think you might need on a light background, and lighter than you think you might need to on a dark background.

I like the blue and green as well. The pink, as shown on-screen, is barely legible and although I love red I also know that subliminal messages that are attached to that color that I think one would rather avoid in our business.
I used to make my own years ago. With free ink and paper from CompUSA it was a no brainer. But have no artistic skills so just whipped up some simple text based ones using OpenOffice Writer. Eventually I payed for a logo, including bcards, and sent it to the local print shop for bcards.

Back