Chrome's new Privacy Sandbox/Tracker released

Although they say its not specifically directly related to anyone, who knows?

No one, really. But it would not be in the best interests of this company, which made (and still makes) its reputation in regard to privacy protection, to lie about it. The truth will out, always, and it's a very, very high stakes gamble to do something, anything, that could bring your reputation crashing down with no hope of recovery.

Textbook Example: LastPass and its breaches. The coverup (and sloppiness) was worse than the crime, and the crime was pretty bad.

I use Brave with a few settings tweaked to my liking as well as some custom filter lists. I use startpage as my default search (Google results without the tracking) and i also use NextDNS to prevent even more tracking/ads as well as filter out any known malicious content. It might be over the top for some, but i get very few problems and NextDNS make it easy to whitelist domains if needed.

I chose Brave over LibreWolf as i like chromium based browsers better than Firefox. I dont use the reward program so that is turned off.

I dont use the reward program so that is turned off.

Same here, on my partner's machine. I never saw that program as a dealbreaker, as it's entirely optional. If I can opt-in or opt-out of anything, and have either one of those states be "meaningful and absolute" then I don't care whether an option I don't care to exercise is present or not. I get to make the choice about whether I use it, and if I say no, it's as though it doesn't exist.

Tor is not secure. The person operating the exit nodes can monitor and record data.
Recent exploits in their java code can reveal users IP addresses.
Plenty online about it.
It never was secure. You can shove your route to the Internet through whatever gyrations you want, the content providers will still know you from the swarm. The only thing TOR does is the same thing that 3rd party VPNs do... let you hop over geo fences, and hide a degree of your activity from your ISP.

But personally I see no reason to worry about my ISP snooping when Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon already own my data. At least I wasn't dumb enough to fall into the 23andme trap!

But personally I see no reason to worry about my ISP snooping when Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon already own my data.

It's funny you say this, as I just finished typing the following in a private email: "As a general statement, any entity that handles any data that can be specifically linked to you could, if they so wished, log that information. At least in most countries if their EULAs say they can."

If you actually read the EULAs for a great deal of what you (and that includes all "yous" present in this venue) use, you will find that you have consented to data collection about yourself, at least as the default state.

Google, and let me be clear I am not trying to paint them as something they are not, at least lets you turn off Web and App Activity, Location, and YouTube history collection and to delete that which is already present. I turned those off years ago. That doesn't mean that they don't have access to my data in realtime nor that they can't collect it in other repositories they have, so I'm not under the delusion that they know nothing about me. I don't presume any service provider I use "knows nothing about me" nor that they're not collecting data of some kind, no matter how many opt-outs I may have exercised.

Tor is not secure. The person operating the exit nodes can monitor and record data.
Recent exploits in their java code can reveal users IP addresses.
Plenty online about it.

I just like it to read seeking alpha articles lol. Seeking alpha usually only lets you read a few and then they want you to sign up for their monthly or yearly subscription. I don't use it or need it that much. Since the ip's change in Tor I think that's why it lets me around it lol. I might view 10 articles a month using it.

I forgot about librewolf...I've had that for a while too. I'll have to start using that more.

Reactions: GTP
Back