Can't configure a different Exchange provider on iPhone

rsarceno

Reaction score
A client iPhone, has outlook that was previously configured for Exchange. It's failing to connect to another exchange provider.

The exchange account on the mobile has been remove
The phone has been factory reset by Apple store.
Mobile Outlook has been uninstall, download and re-install
Outlook still showing Office 365 with Old company name
Can't configured for new exchange provider using automatic or manual step.
I confirmed credentials are good by log in using OWA
Autodiscovery for the domain is good. Several Desktop Outlook 2019 and iPhone was configured without any issue
Triple check with lookup that Autodiscovery is good.

My first guess was the phone wasn't factory reset because it should have wipe out everything but the client took it to Apple strore for factory reset

After the reset, did customer use iCloud to restore data? If so, the previous configs for Outlook would have been restored even though it was deleted. Once the app was restored, it would have used the backed up config.

Thanks for the info.

Is there a work around? The client need most of the info on iCloud except for Outlook
Is it possible to do iCloud restore without Outlook?

Odd one, even with a "restore"...should not matter that Outlook sees the "old" account, you can remove that old account and add the new one. Or heck even leave the old one. Outlook is not "monogamous" to just 1x email account, you can add many!

That's what I was thinking. Isn't there a "+" icon to add another account, then choose Exchange and enter the new credentials? Where in this process does it go awry?

It's there on Android...the 3x elipses upper right corner. I don't have an iPhone nearby to take a look....
...wait, our office manager has one...let me go check hers.

OK just looked at hers, so....once Outlook is open, instead of upper right corner, on an iPhone...upper left corner...just hit the "Inbox" icon, brings up a screen where you can choose which account you want to look at....OR....there's an icon on the middle..left side...envelope with a "+" sign....to ADD an account....

The iPhone was enrolled in MDM management, which I'm guessing is Microsoft Intune.

After the iPhone has been factory reload it's either the iCloud that restore the Mobile Outlook settings or the Microsoft Mobile Outlook upon installation check with Microsoft Intune to see if the device is registered for MDM. If its register then Outlook will be preconfigured for the company Exchange as the email service provider.

I have not try to install mobile Outlook immediately after factory restore. This would have eliminated the the possibility of iCloud restore

I'm not talking about the Mobile Outlook profile (MAPI settings - email address and password) being restore
I'm referring to the the Outlook settings that if you use Exchange it only allows the old company as the email service provide.
If I use POP or IMAP protocol on the mobile Outlook then there is no issue.
If I use iPhone Mail configure for exchange and it works
The only issue is Microsoft Mobile Outlook using exchange.

At this point I'm assuming the old email account have been remove from exchange (not 100%)
This assumption is base on the Outlook profile (MAPI) is not automatically restore which should have been if the user email account is still active

Based on my research, the proper solution is to ask the Company Exchange administrator to remove the device from MDM.
This involves login to the Intune Company Portal but unfortunately the company has been dissolve
Upon dissolving the Company, they should have disable their Intune Portal Account which is suppose to free up all the registered MDM devices

I've found a backdoor to remove Intune from Android but so far nothing for iPhone

The good news is Microsoft Intune is a subscription service. Once its expired (I don't know when and I'm hoping) it will release all device registered to that MDM.

Unfortunately, the client is not willing to leave her iPhone with me for 24 to 48 hrs. ( I don't blame her)
If I just have more time, I could have figure out if its iCloud restore or the Mobile Outlook App that restore the settings

This is like Sangoma Zero Touch for VoIPPhone. All I need is the MAC address. If its a new phone just plug it in. If its an old phone, do a factory reset and Zero touch will automatically fill in the provisional parameters.

Last edited:
Back