Can't boot from DVD in Windows 8.

techyguy717

Reaction score
This is the first time booting from a DVD with Windows 8. Am I doing something wrong? I followed the advice of multiple postings here and read multiple websites. Here I am 2 hours later.

A 10 month old Toshiba laptop, Windows 8 preinstalled, has a bad keyboard and I'm requested to do a secure erase before sending to warranty repair. I made an Image using "Windows 7 Recovery" even though it's Windows 8. I am now testing the ability to restore that image.

First, I turned off laptop and removed battery and power. Held power button for 70 seconds.

Plugged in, turned on laptop and tried getting into BIOS with F2, 5 different times.

Did not work, so I did a hard shut down, when powering on.

BIOS screen appears.

Turned off "secure boot", boot speed changed to "normal", boot mode changed to "CSM Boot". I even tried changing SATA controller mode to "compatibility", and different combinations.

Try booting from ODD and receive error: Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key.

Cant boot from any disk even the the System restore disk I made with the "Windows 7 Recovery"

I tried to use the newer Windows 8 "Create a recovery drive", but it turned my USB drive into "read only" and not even diskpart can clear the attribute.

When I reset BIOS, I can boot into Windows 8, no problem, but not DVD.

I checked, NO BIOS UPDATE available. Only Stock bios.

This is the first time booting from a DVD with Windows 8. Am I doing something wrong? I followed the advice of multiple postings here and read multiple websites. Here I am 2 hours later.

A 10 month old Toshiba laptop, Windows 8 preinstalled, has a bad keyboard and I'm requested to do a secure erase before sending to warranty repair. I made an Image using "Windows 7 Recovery" even though it's Windows 8. I am now testing the ability to restore that image.

First, I turned off laptop and removed battery and power. Held power button for 70 seconds.

Plugged in, turned on laptop and tried getting into BIOS with F2, 5 different times.

Did not work, so I did a hard shut down, when powering on.

BIOS screen appears.

Turned off "secure boot", boot speed changed to "normal", boot mode changed to "CSM Boot". I even tried changing SATA controller mode to "compatibility", and different combinations.

Try booting from ODD and receive error: Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Cant boot from any disk even the the System restore disk I made with the "Windows 7 Recovery"

I tried to use the newer Windows 8 "Create a recovery drive", but it turned my USB drive into "read only" and not even diskpart can clear the attribute.

When I reset BIOS, I can boot into Windows 8, no problem, but not DVD.

I checked, NO BIOS UPDATE available. Only Stock bios.

Is the keyboard bad due to a spill that may have affected the DVD drive?

Have you tried a factory made Windows DVD of any vintage, to see whether the fault is with the drive or the DVD you made?

Rick

Found the problem.

When trying to boot, I got this message, as I already explained:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

But what I failed to mention, is that I also saw the word "Atheros". Atheros is the LAN. When booting from any device under "CSM Boot", it would always try to boot the LAN, NO MATTER WHAT. What?

Went into BIOS, disabled LAN, and it boots from DVD now. Problem is buggy firmware. I wish I could charge Toshiba for this glitch. I even verified I have the latest firmware.

Most bios that allow for booting from lan allow you to disable it and allow you to change boot order. You couldn't make booting from LAN the last item on the list?

Most bios that allow for booting from lan allow you to disable it and allow you to change boot order. You couldn't make booting from LAN the last item on the list?

It was the last item on the list.

Order was:
ODD / DVD
USB
HDD
LAN

Changing the order didn't help. I also tried F12 to boot from ODD directly.

Back