Can you import pics directly from a camera via usb-c cable into the iphone15?

ell

Reaction score
Hi, got my grandaughter a little digital camera, she says she needs a special sd reader to import to pics into her iphone 15 or macbook. My understanding is the iphone 15 uses usb-c, can't she just connect the two directly with a usb-c male-male cable and transfer/copy them over?

Last edited:
Possibly, but if she's got a computer it's dirt simple to upload from the camera to the PC or Mac, then download from that same device to the iPhone.

I think she would prefer uploading directly to her new iphone5, I thought it would be possible since the 15 uses an USBC connector now I'll keep looking Thanks

Last edited:
I never count on iDevices necessarily recognizing non-iDevices gracefully, and particularly when it comes to treating them as storage. I will be curious what you find, but I've never done a camera to smartphone direct transfer.

This is what apple says, not very clear:

Import photos and videos to your iPhone​

Import photos and videos saved on another device such as a digital camera or an external drive to the Photos app on your iPhone.
  1. Insert the camera adapter or card reader into the Lightning or USB-C connector, or connect the device directly to your iPhone.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Connect a camera: Connect the adapter to the camera, then turn on the camera and make sure it’s in transfer mode. For more information, see the documentation that came with the camera.
    • Connect an external storage device or insert an SD memory card into the card reader: Don’t force the card into the slot on the reader; it fits only one way.
    • Connect an iPhone or iPad: Use the Lightning adapter or the USB-C cable that came with the device to connect it to the camera adapter. Turn on and unlock the device.

So long as the Camera can represent the SD card/itself as a mass storage device (a standardized USB thing), the iPhone can see it. If the camera does not offer that, and instead relies on some App or something, then your mileage may vary. Virtually any decent (and even low-end) camera will allow for exposing the memory as a mass storage.

Reactions: ell
Thanks! I hope to see her this week to try it out, I have extra usb-c cables to try it with, it's a new inexpensive portable digital with a SD card slot and USB cable

All "i" arghhh. So now they have USB-C, you could just connect to pc with USB-C cable and goto storage. An Icon should pop up in MyPC or a new device, though I could be talking nonsense as I do not own an Apple iPhone. Apple just like to make thing different, though is annoyingly frustrating to go through X,Y,Z when Samsung one just does X.

Reactions: ell
All "i" arghhh. So now they have USB-C, you could just connect to pc with USB-C cable and goto storage. An Icon should pop up in MyPC or a new device, though I could be talking nonsense as I do not own an Apple iPhone. Apple just like to make thing different, though is annoyingly frustrating to go through X,Y,Z when Samsung one just does X.
I have had several Android Samsung phones I'll never switch 😋

Back