Can anyone give me a "safe" example to use to trigger Chrome's "This is not safe" and keep/deny messages?

britechguy

Reaction score
I hit upon these sorts of downloads on occasion, and I should have been smart enough to keep a couple where I noted what I was downloading to trigger that message/those messages.

I've got a blind client who is asking about this, but since it happened to him far enough in the past now, he can't remember what he was trying to download.

I thought at least something from Nirsoft would fill the bill, and it probably would, but there are just so many options and most of them behave just fine.

So if anyone knows of a download that they know to be safe that also triggers these warnings, could you please share those?

Just to confirm. This is Windows. Are you looking for a certificate alert? Any app not signed by MS? Insecure file type?

1. Yes, Windows.

2. I am not sure if it's just a certificate alert, though that would do.

3. Definitely would be helpful to have an app not signed by MS.

4. Not looking for an insecure file type, per se.

I know in the past I've downloaded EXE files that I've used for years that I know to be safe, where I get what I seem to recall as being case number 3 in the list above.

The problem we're having, or at least that's being claimed to be occurring, is that the pop-ups that appear when #2 or #3 are at play are not gaining focus, and you cannot respond to them appropriately as a result.

I'm trying to find things where we can repeatedly and intentionally trigger these situations as part of troubleshooting the issue with a screen reader under Chrome, specifically.

1. Yes, Windows.

2. I am not sure if it's just a certificate alert, though that would do.

3. Definitely would be helpful to have an app not signed by MS.

4. Not looking for an insecure file type, per se.

I know in the past I've downloaded EXE files that I've used for years that I know to be safe, where I get what I seem to recall as being case number 3 in the list above.

The problem we're having, or at least that's being claimed to be occurring, is that the pop-ups that appear when #2 or #3 are at play are not gaining focus, and you cannot respond to them appropriately as a result.

I'm trying to find things where we can repeatedly and intentionally trigger these situations as part of troubleshooting the issue with a screen reader under Chrome, specifically.
I PM'd you the link to the bad cert file. It's just a .pdf that has N/A. Focus should not be an issue since it loads the insecure after they've typed in

For insecure file type I've seen two types. One is browser based and keys off of the type of file. .exe, .zip, .dll etc.

The other is SmartScreen the built in tool in Windows Defender since W8. It will also alert on unsafe files. Been ages since I used it so not sure of the the steps.

For unsigned files those usually fall into drivers category. I do remember that a popup comes up when trying to run one.

@Markverhyden

Thanks.

I still haven't found anything to get Smart Screen screaming, and I know I've downloaded a number of things over time that did. I suspect this is the actual issue being encountered. And it's happening in Chrome, so the file is not yet at the stage where it would be executed.

Try ProduKey utility from Nirsoft, often is detected as a false positive.

This one seems to download OK in Chrome, then when opened Smart Screen blocks it:
Download ProduKey with full install/uninstall support

MailPass from Nirsoft will also get zonked on contact - much to my frequent annoyance!

Thanks for the reminder Nirsoft. Which brings to mind many PW recovery programs also flag as malware. Though not usually by Windows but by most anti-malware apps.

@fincoder and @Mick,

Thanks to you both. I'm awaiting word back to see if the issue repeats when an attempt to download one of these is made.
P.S. I should have said: Make sure you tell your guinea pig he/she needs to d/l the .exe, not the .zip (which will probably go undetected until he/she tries to unzip it). Later: Although I now see that the d/l is .zip only, so maybe this isn't going to work after all....
There is an .exe for 'BulletPass View', though, which should do the trick.

Back