Best Writing Pen

Vicenarian

Reaction score
Totally random, I know, but what are your favorite pens for writing with? In the computer repair business, a lot of signatures/writing is involved. So then, my favorites so far are:

- Uniball Jetstream

- Pilot G2/G6

- Most Zebra pens

I want to try the Lamy Safari pens sometime, and I just got a 'Sharpie' pen yesterday, which I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Nothing but Zebra F-402's for me.

Writes nicely, but I really like the form & weight.

21pd4vu88QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Totally random, I know, but what are your favorite pens for writing with? In the computer repair business, a lot of signatures/writing is involved. So then, my favorites so far are:

- Uniball Jetstream

- Pilot G2/G6

- Most Zebra pens

I want to try the Lamy Safari pens sometime, and I just got a 'Sharpie' pen yesterday, which I haven't had a chance to try yet.

The Sharpie pen sucks. It drags too much being it is fabric... The ink doesn't just flow. Then it dries up like a battery going dead not like a car running out of gas, so your writing will become gray very quick...

I don't think I have tried that particular Uniball... I used to like the Pilot G5 or whatever they were, but the G2 became my standard pens. Then the Zebra pens, which as far as I can tell are the same as the G2...

Never tried the G6, but I presume it is a G2 in a more ergonomic pen housing?

ghFree SWAG ones you get from clients/vendors/trade shows/etc

With strong clips so I can wear them inside my front pants pocket and the clip doesn't snap off when I sit down.

..otherwise..it's a pen....very very low on my list of concerns...almost down there with shoelaces and brands of cardboard boxes.

...snipped...

With strong clips so I can wear them inside my front pants pocket and the clip doesn't snap off when I sit down.

....snipped...

An important criteria for me as well. I carry my pen the same way.

The 402's have strong clips. At most they bend a bit (even that's rare). Never had one break off.

I really like the Papermate Profile pens, but only with a 1.4B cartridge, because I write like I'm carving into granite.

Once the ink goes (and for me that's fairly quickly), I kinda 'hack' my own together. I use a ginormous Montblanc refill cartridge in the Papermate's body, and trim a small amount of plastic from the old spent cartridge to act as a spacer -- it's a clicky pen, so the length is crucial.

The Montblanc cartridges are pricey, but they make very bold and consistent lines, and last MUCH longer than any other brand I've tried.

I do have a nice Waterman fountain pen which I occasionally bust out, to keep it classy in here.

Death to gel pens! :p

Last edited:
Easy question.
Easy answer.

Any bloody pen I can find which hasn't been nicked by the rest of the family.

I have a cheapo "staples" biro which is attached to a chain, which is, in turn, stuck to my workbench.

I really like the Papermate Profile pens, but only with a 1.4B cartridge, because I write like I'm carving into granite.

Once the ink goes (and for me that's fairly quickly), I kinda 'hack' my own together. I use a ginormous Montblanc refill cartridge in the Papermate's body, and trim a small amount of plastic from the old spent cartridge to act as a spacer -- it's a clicky pen, so the length is crucial.

The Montblanc cartridges are pricey, but they make very bold and consistent lines, and last MUCH longer than any other brand I've tried.

I do have a nice Waterman fountain pen which I occasionally bust out, to keep it classy in here.

Death to gel pens! :p

I saw a review of the montblanc pen on a consumer TV program a couple of years ago. The use of third party ink resulted in leakage.

They actually took a pen and sliced it in two. There wasn't anything particularly special about its innards.

Perhaps Montblanc ink is more special than the pen itself.

Pens??!!
I buy packets and packets of the damn things and can never find one when I need it. It's like there's a black hole or some sort of alternate reality in my house and connected workshop that they all get sucked into.

I saw a review of the montblanc pen on a consumer TV program a couple of years ago. The use of third party ink resulted in leakage.

They actually took a pen and sliced it in two. There wasn't anything particularly special about its innards.

Perhaps Montblanc ink is more special than the pen itself.

Interesting. I've never even thought about cutting one in half and inspecting it. But if the ink is truly special, I suppose that justifies the exorbitant price....

One problem we have here in Michigan with ball-point pens is the ink freezing, especially if it's in an exterior pocket on a coat, jacket, or pants. I vividly remember working at a lumberyard when I was 17; we were outdoors no matter the weather, and we had to load building supplies for customers. After supplies were loaded, we were required to get the customer's signature. This in turn required me to carry around a Bic lighter during the winter months, so I could quickly thaw the ink, allowing it to write again. Could I have stuffed it into an inner pocket? Eh...not really. I did a lot of heavy lifting, and a pen could easily skewer one's body, if not make for a mess to clean up later, especially given the awkward positions I found myself when shoving insulation, drywall, and boards into customers' vehicles.

That said, I've not yet tested the lower thermal end of the Montblanc cartridges. Maybe after the next few days of showers and thunderstorms (yes, and in the mid-50s until Wednesday!), we'll have another chance. :D

Back