[REQUEST] Best Fan Orientation for Next Gaming PC?

Intake on the front, and side. Exhaust on the rear and top. Airflow should make an S, from the front up through the middle and out the back / top.

I prefer to have slightly more intake than exhaust. Pressurized cases don't seem to collect as much dust.

Intake on the front, and side. Exhaust on the rear and top. Airflow should make an S, from the front up through the middle and out the back / top.

I prefer to have slightly more intake than exhaust. Pressurized cases don't seem to collect as much dust.

I see that it supports 1 more fan - on the side. Cannot figure out where that fan goes.

Wonder if I should push the air into the radiator from the outside instead so cooler external air hits it.

I see someone did push-pull (2 fans on back and front of radiator), but they also only had a 1070 (I have a 3 fan 1080 Ti).

If the radiator is like mine, it's bolted inside the upper end of the tower. The fans should be below the radiator, pushing upward.

Hot air rises, you want to aid that process, retarding it costs airflow and leads to higher temperatures.

If the radiator is like mine, it's bolted inside the upper end of the tower. The fans should be below the radiator, pushing upward.

Hot air rises, you want to aid that process, retarding it costs airflow and leads to higher temperatures.

Linus' video on positive air pressure states that rising heat does not matter much for PC cases.

It is not bolted. You supply your own and install it on top, front, or bottom of this case.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to shoot warm air through the radiator when you can shoot cooler external air through it.

Water cooling isn't about low temperature, it's about being able to sink more heat. If you're moving so little air, the interior temperature starts to matter to the radiator, you need more fan. But once that water gets warm, the few degrees of difference from inside vs out isn't going to change much. Though yes, fresh air will get you a better low temperature point. But again you don't care about that, water is there for keeping the high temperature point down while under more strain.

And I don't care what Linus says, I know how hot/cold design works in a server room. I also build cooling systems to survive Phoenix Summer heat... I'll use whatever I can get. Because I never know when that air conditioner is going to cave! You can ignore the natural flow of heat, but you'll pay more in power to do it. Which in this case means, more fan... that's air flow you get for free, I'll take any CFM I can get, wherever I can get it.

But I suppose reinforcing convection isn't anywhere near as important as having a consistent flow. You could have air pumping in the top and out the front if you want. Just pick a direction and let it roll. I just usually intake on the front and side and exhaust the rear and back. Also, my tower is huge... radiator is inside the thing!

But beware, if you're cooling the radiator into the case, that's just moving heat to your other components.

Last edited:
Back