Backing up the new Outlook email?

katz

Reaction score
Is there not an easy way to backup the new Outlook email? The feature to do the backup from within the program is gone. I have several clients who have upgraded to the new Outlook, and they have created multiple accounts. Not happy that their easy backup method is now removed. Looking for a free or reasonably priced backup solution.

What are (or were) they backing up, and how?

I've never understood the need to backup email locally, as you can be certain that the email servers themselves are backed up routinely and are likely set up with redundancy as well. The probability of email going *poof* from any major email provider is close to zero, so close as to be zero.

I guess most of them were backing up by using the file menu>export, which is now missing in the new version. However, I suppose you are correct, the online backups are probably sufficient. Customers do not like change though, when they are used to doing it manually. Old habits die hard, lol.

Microsoft is clear in their design...

You do not backup mail on endpoints, you back up mail on the server that houses it. So yes, that feature is gone... along with the entire concept of the PST file.

The app at present literally doesn't support working in any sort of offline fashion. There is NOTHING to backup!

Now if you're used to using Outlook to dump mail off servers, and keep it around locally... then yeah at present it seems you're going to have to find a new process. But Microsoft did say they're planning on offline functionality, so who knows what we'll end up with.

Last edited:
Both of the following written for the screen reader/keyboard command user, but every bit as easy to do for someone who can see:

Getting back to Outlook Classic User Interface if you're in the Inaccessible New Outlook User Interface (AKA Outlook Preview or Outlook PRE)
(Equally applicable to Outlook for Windows Preview)

Restoring the Classic Ribbons in Outlook 365 (I wanted some "classic stuff" back).

Also, a very recent development, and it appears to be rolling out: New One-Time Quartet of Dialogs being presented when opening any M365 Office Suite Program - October 2023

I've never understood the need to backup email locally, as you can be certain that the email servers themselves are backed up routinely and are likely set up with redundancy as well. The probability of email going *poof* from any major email provider is close to zero, so close as to be zero.

(Emphasis mine) - I just can't get to this point trust-wise. No, I can NOT be sure about the provider's backup. I'm absolutely certain, though, that somewhere in the 4-point type of page 68 of the "Click here to agree to our new policy and continue loading" link is a statement something akin to: "We work hard to protect your data, but in the event we fail, we cannot be held responsible for loss of said data". ERGO, I backup email, always have. I also heartily recommend my clients do the same. If I lose something for some reason, the LAST thing I want to do is call Microsoft.

@HCHTech

It comes down to doing what you feel comfortable with, and if you need that security blanket, then you absolutely should keep doing what you're doing.

I have not heard of a single major (e.g. Microsoft, Google, Comcast, etc.) email provider having loss, and I mean real loss, of anyone's email data. Outages or need to occasionally recover from their own backups, sure, but not loss.

This is one of those areas that has parallels to what I was saying in the conversation on updating. I'm sure if I dig hard enough I will find an incident, at some time, somewhere in the world, where someone using a major company to hold their email will have lost it. But its not anywhere near to common enough where, for me, it's even worth thinking about. It's back to my personal philosophy of focusing on the reasonably probable to kinda-sorta probable rather than the remotely possible, but with a probability so small it had might as well be zero.

Heck, even Yahoo has my email from when I was using them many years ago, and if they haven't managed to lose things . . .

I train all my free email clients this, there is no backup but manual or OST via carbonite/whatever. It's how it is. Move to 365 and get cloud backup, helps with sales.

Lot of "email archival" programs out there. I personally just use Thunderbird to periodically pull my 6 or 7 accounts locally. Because I don't trust my Internet or my mail provider to be available that one time I urgently need to look up an old email.

On mail server backup a note is providers may impose time and/or capacity limits which can auto prune and if you want to retain all mail then you may want to have your own backup.

On mail server backup a note is providers may impose time and/or capacity limits which can auto prune and if you want to retain all mail then you may want to have your own backup.

Not arguing your point, but making mine that we should be training our clients NOT to retain ALL email. It's not difficult to know that those messages about getting together for lunch, etc., etc., etc., are not important enough to retain, and should not be retained.

Part of the problem is data hoarding, and it's as big a problem as "real" hoarding in cyberspace. Most email is read, act (if necessary), and delete in nature.

I'm not saying to encourage or condone but as a point of potential issue and you may have a particular email that is incredibly old but important it would be bad for auto prune to take it. I would say trying to manage those systems vs managing your own general backup I know which I would invest the time and energy into.

@HCHTech

I have not heard of a single major (e.g. Microsoft, Google, Comcast, etc.) email provider having loss, and I mean real loss, of anyone's email data.

Heck, even Yahoo has my email from when I was using them many years ago, and if they haven't managed to lose things . . .

HackedSpa...err....RackSpace. Quite a large mail provider. While not as much for residential, they were one of the big grand daddies of entry level business email. They got ransomwared last year.

Re: Yahoo....if you have email on Yahoo...most of the bad guys have it too...Yahoos email servers are do deeply compromised from the back end..it's not even funny.

Re: Yahoo....if you have email on Yahoo...most of the bad guys have it too...Yahoos email servers are do deeply compromised from the back end..it's not even funny.

But though this may be true, you still have it, too, which was my central point.

I stopped using Yahoo actively many years ago, but all of my email messages that were there when I walked away have been there every time I do a "yearly check" since.

@Blues: This comes down to what makes you comfortable. I have been using Gmail since its inception, with the default 15GB storage, and have never, ever, ever come close to maxxing out. Pruning is really never a factor except for hoarders in my experience. Killing the hoarding has multiple benefits, backing up the hoard (while you should do so if you can't get compliance) encourages a behavior that's bad, pure and simple. Keeping everything, always, is a mistake, and a grave mistake, and I've seen more people have issues because they can't locate that "needle in a haystack" after years of hoarding than I ever have lose email (which, in my case, is zero).

@callthatgirl

Lisa, it doesn't matter that "it's the client's data, not mine." I don't encourage people who drink too much to keep drinking. I don't encourage people who are filling their homes with junk such that it's barely a series of paths to think that's OK.

You seem to think that because someone wants to do it, it's our job to be enablers. It's abundantly clear I don't. Our job includes teaching best practices, period, end of sentence.

Back