Backblaze releases 2021 HDD stats

Diggs

Reaction score
Just an FYI - Backblaze has released its annual HDD statistics report. The largest drives are fairing the best. I won't sum it up as everyone looks at different things.

Most of us here though don't really care about large HDDs and Backblaze won't release SSD results for another couple of weeks (they only use SSDs for booting).

Man slightly over 200,000 hard drives. That's a scale I'm sure 90% of us don't see. That's a lot of drives.

I saw the release notice, and at the same time lamented how rapidly these results have lost relation to my day-to-day experience. I only buy hard drives for NAS boxes and servers that need larger storage arrays. These days, all individual computers & workstations are SSD, and most of my SMB servers are all-SSD. Only cheap a$$ residential laptops have HDDs, and servers that need them get enterprise HDDs with long warranties. I used to look forward to BB's results, now...I just don't care. Kind of miss it.

and servers that need them get enterprise HDDs with long warranties.

A very great many of which are not one iota different from their less costly relatives, other than the warranty.

And a look at those Backblaze results continues to show that HDDs are mighty darned reliable overall. For long term storage and backup storage I'll be using HDDs for quite a while yet. Even recovering data from failed ones is much easier, and less expensive, than doing so for SSDs.

I love my SSDs, but where they work best and give the best value both in user experience and overall bang for buck. That's far from every application.

Back