Are Windows XP Updates Staying UP ?

CRet

Reaction score
I have not found a definite answer to whether Microsoft will leave the updates for windows XP on the servers for the long haul.

Windows XP Media Center 2005 (? or is it 7) has to install service pack 3 on-line.

I don't want to lie to anyone about reinstalls.

I would like to have them move on but Windows 8 scares them clueless.

CRet

This is what WSUS Offline is for. Run it one more time on Wednesday and then who cares when they finally pull them?

Nothing will be deleted

All updates on Windows/Microsoft Update will stay. I recently set up a temporary Windows 2000 server and it proceeded to download and install a whole lot of updates from Windows Update. After today, there will be no more updates for XP, but the old ones will stay.

All updates on Windows/Microsoft Update will stay. I recently set up a temporary Windows 2000 server and it proceeded to download and install a whole lot of updates from Windows Update. After today, there will be no more updates for XP, but the old ones will stay.

I heard different, security updates will be produced until 14 July, 2015.
However, security patches, regular updates and bug fixes for XP will stop as scheduled on 8 April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25758308

Of course who knows, they would probably not officially announce when, but it was 5 years after Win 98 EOL that they pulled updates for win 98.

Have also heard that if they ever decide to kill activation, they would put out a patch to disable activation.

So much for consistency and clarity. MS has agreed to send out an XP IE patch to cover the recently discovered exploit.

It also helps if you run a country, as special agreements have been made to cover specific governmental installations of XP

June 2014 XP Windows Update

I thought Microsoft was done with XP updates and yet again I had a June 2014 update on my old desktop.

Apparently the reason is despite the fact that Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft there are still a few updates that they have put out to fix vulnerabilities in other software, like internet explorer, that would still be downloadable and part of the updates list in XP. However XP is past it's end of life, this time for good.

Let it die. Just let it die! I had a few clients who still use XP and their IE broke because of the update you speak of. The process loads, but the application never appears. Rolling back helped restore IE.

Back