Apple iTunes now deleting 'unrecognized' media from your CPU without warning

phaZed

Reaction score
In the "I told ya so" department...

https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

What Amber explained was exactly what I’d feared: through the Apple Music subscription, which I had, Apple now deletes files from its users’ computers. When I signed up for Apple Music, iTunes evaluated my massive collection of Mp3s and WAV files, scanned Apple’s database for what it considered matches, then removed the original files from my internal hard drive. REMOVED them. Deleted. If Apple Music saw a file it didn’t recognize—which came up often, since I’m a freelance composer and have many music files that I created myself—it would then download it to Apple’s database, delete it from my hard drive, and serve it back to me when I wanted to listen, just like it would with my other music files it had deleted.

iCloud Music Library is turned on automatically when you set up your Apple Music Subscription…When your Apple Music Subscription term ends, you will lose access to any songs stored in your iCloud Music Library.

When giving the above warning, however, even in my most Orwellian paranoia I never could have dreamed that the content holders, like Apple, would also reach into your computer and take away what you already owned. If Taxi Driver is on Netflix, Netflix doesn’t come to your house and steal your Taxi Driver DVD. But that’s where we’re headed. When it comes to music, Apple is already there.

Um, no.. just no. People 'like' this? No thanks.

Whats to stop Apple, an employee or company decision, from taking someones music and then putting it out on itunes or saying its theirs and then making money off it? this is why i dont use itunes, and i another reason why i prefer to own than to rent, lease or borrow. just another reason i have a media server that serves up my music, movies, tv shows, etc. That i bought and placed on there. it will even stream it to me over the internet, and i can choose to save it locally if need be.

On a similar vein, your rights to digital downloads appear to die with you. If you would like to leave a music/book collection to your loved ones it might be best to buy hard copies or leave the password and hope Apple/Amazon etc. don't find out you've expired!

Back