Apple is not your friend!

This isn't the first time... it's happened with many Youtubers and knowledgeable people... Apple scrubs their forums of any actual good information, to be replaced with their canned answers.

Such a sh** company.

Many years ago I used to participate on their forums but stopped shortly after starting for this very type of behavior. They can be such hypocrites.

I would love to do a work-study for 6 months with her! Everything about her sounds fantastic.

If your able to fix the original phone/tablet by replacing some components such as diodes, capacitors, resistors or water just unglued a chip and your able to solder it back as long as the key component chip with the decoding information you'll be able to save this phone and most of the time the major shorts are the capacitors aka type batteries.

But lets face it with the equipment I saw in her video your sure to find the defect real easy it's just gonna scream at you.I'm glad that this woman said hell no and took actions in her own hands and solved a high demanding problem.

Shawn W. Dion
aka GreyWolf

I just started watching the video, but early on I want to scream: you've been on a trip for 5 months and NEVER backed up any photos, for 5 MONTHS. Then when you get home you still don't back them up, not only that you go out on a boat with the damned phone in your pocket and it falls in the water??? WTF PEOPLE!

Backing up an iPhone is not hard. You switch on iCloud photos and they backup automatically.

Maybe I should post this here https://www.technibble.com/forums/t...sing-data-in-the-dumbest-possible-ways.81986/

I'm not an apple guy so pardon my ignorance but I though the data was encrypted and if you had a damaged phone then the data was inaccessible ?
Actually, what Jessa (and other micro repair techs) do is to get the phone working just enough so that the data can be removed. You can take a phone's bare motherboard (without enclosure) and add a screen and a charger and be able to manipulate the information that's contained on the hard drive. (No different than if you connected a computer's motherboard to a test bench.)

When I used to fix phones, most people didn't really care if a water damaged phone was ever usable again - they only wanted the pictures of the grandbaby, text messages for a divorce case, or some other important data. True story: I had a customer turn in an iphone 4s that he had found in the middle of the road. This phone was a mess - the screen was so damaged that most of it was powder. I thanked him and decided to see if the motherboard was in decent shape and surprisingly it had not been damaged. I put the motherboard into a new housing and added a screen and the thing powered up. There also wasn't a password on the phone so I had access to hundreds of baby pictures that had been taken by the new mom. Luckily, I was able to find her mailing information in her contacts so I copied all of the pictures and mailed them to her anonymously. I then wiped the phone (this was before Apple instituted their 'cloud lock' feature) and sold the phone for around $300 and made a $200 profit. Some might ask why I didn't just call her and tell her that I had fixed her phone and informed her that it was going to cost her $300. I didn't do that because I knew that people are unpredictable and I thought that this was a win/win solution. She got pictures that she thought was lost forever and I got paid for my services.

I then wiped the phone (this was before Apple instituted their 'cloud lock' feature) and sold the phone for around $300 and made a $200 profit. Some might ask why I didn't just call her and tell her that I had fixed her phone and informed her that it was going to cost her $300. I didn't do that because I knew that people are unpredictable and I thought that this was a win/win solution. She got pictures that she thought was lost forever and I got paid for my services.

Most jurisdictions have legislation covering "theft by finding" and IANAL but that sounds to me as if it falls firmly under the Revised Code of Washintgon's definition of theft:

"RCW 9A.56.020 (c):
To appropriate lost or misdelivered property or services of another, or the value thereof, with intent to deprive him or her of such property or services."

Full details here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.020

It's a tricky area because both you and the person who found the phone appear to have acted with good intentions (you know, those things the road to Hell is paved with), but the rightful owner of the phone might not see it that way. I don't even want to think of the effect that receiving hundreds of photographs of her child from an anonymous source might have had on her.

Some might ask why I didn't just call her and tell her that I had fixed her phone and informed her that it was going to cost her $300.

No, but I might ask why you didn't offer her a choice of having her phone back in its damaged condition or of having it fixed for $300. That's a win/win - you either make money or you get to feel really good about yourself for doing the right thing.

Last edited:
"RCW 9A.56.020: Theft—Definition, defense.
(1) "Theft" means:
(c) To appropriate lost or misdelivered property or services of another, or the value thereof, with intent to deprive him or her of such property or services.
..."

Full statute here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.020

Point taken. Looking back, I probably should've just mailed her the fixed phone and be done with it. I tried my best to run an ethical service business. I kept a dental pick on my front counter to clean out pocket lint from my customers' charging port because their phones wouldn't charge anymore - a service that I never charged for (even though some of my competitors were gladly charging $50 to 'fix' broken ports.)

It's a slippery slope when you start to justify even the smallest indiscretion. Thanks.

Apple is about to cuttoff all iPhone 5, 4, or a cellular-enabled iPad mini, iPad 2 or a third-generation iPad users off the internet if they don't upgrade update their devices to the latest iOS software by today wow i have never heard of this the user has to upgrade most users have no idea what IOS is lol the GPS rollover issue needs new software to function correctly.
I have friends who have older iphones he was not aware of this till today when his phone stopped working seems apple did not do enough announcements.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/tech/old-apple-product-update-trnd/index.html

Last edited:
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised, software is meant to be kept up to date. Not being current brings with it the risk of falling off the back end.

"if it ain't broke", therein lies the rub... the average Tom, Dick, or even "Professional" on these forums aren't qualified to determine if it's "broke" or not.

I'm actually glad Apple did this, more vendors need to do this. If old devices removed themselves from the Internet when support fell off, the Internet as a whole would be a ton safer. Of course that would mean less work for some of us, but whatever. I'm tired of the bad guys winning all the time because people are lazy, stupid, or just flat ignorant.

And if more vendors did this, the push back would force the governments of the world to actually step in, and define standards we can all be OK with. Innovation would slow, life spans would extend, prices would drop, and we might... maybe... see a day when the people catch up to all this junk.

I once had the apple store tell a client that his Macbook Pro had no HDD in it and that the data couldn't be recovered. I called BS and after about 30 minutes with a data recovery software and an external slave cord was able to recover ALL of his data. I love apple ---NOT---. They say they're a company designed to make things easy for end users yet they make things very difficult for them most of the time.

Back